New Springsteen

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Girls in Their Summer Clothes" may be the worst thing he's put on disc. That's my only first impression which also isn't a good thing...

OK, didn't Landau hype this as some big windows-down, rocking album? It certainly isn't that on first listen.

"Girls in Their Summer Clothes" may be the worst thing he's put on disc. That's my only first impression which also isn't a good thing...

no way...

it's not GREAT, but FAR far from the worst thing he's put to disc, you need to go back and revisit his 80's records my friend ;)

the lyrics to it are still good

Terry's Song saves the second half of this album

I think it saves the entire album. I need to focus on the lyrics more, but musically this is disc is a snoozer. It is what I feared; call it a E-Strret band disc even though it may as well be a solo Bruce project so you can take the whole band on the road to sell out stadiums....

At least 3 songs actually sound like the whole band was "involved".

Terry's Song saves the second half of this album

Story behind the song. I guess Bruce added it as a "hidden" track since Amazon doesn't even list it....

"REMEMBERING TERRY MAGOVERN"

As reported previously, Springsteen's longtime friend and "faithful working companion" Terry Magovern passed away on July 30. There's now a tribute page to the man at brucespringsteen.net. "Terry stood as a strange New Jersey version of 'the catcher in the rye,' out on the edge of some windswept cliff keeping children from rushing over the edge," Springsteen writes. "He was always busy saving something or somebody. It was his blessing and his tragedy." Along with Springsteen's eulogy, also posted there are photos from throughout Terry's life (including one from the Tunnel of Love tour, as he manned the carnival ticket booth), the Asbury Park Press obituary, and a stirring remembrance from Marah's Serge Bielanko. Visit "Remembering Terry Magovern."

Springsteen wrote "Terry's Song" for his old friend and performed it at the memorial service in early August; several sources indicate that a recording of the song may be added to Magic as a hidden bonus track.

Livin' In THe Future is definitely total classic Bruce + E Street.

agree

the song that follows it however is horrid

disagree, for now anyway. I listened through twice and this stood out for me as one of the stronger songs. Maybe it won't have staying power but there was something about the structure that I really liked (which is probably exactly what you hated)

the album is pretty good, but hit or miss

Yep, I think there are some songs that will be fairly quickly forgotten. I just don't think "Your Own Worst Enemy" is one of them.

It sounds a little more contemporary than I thought it might but I find the production muddy.

disagree, for now anyway. I listened through twice and this stood out for me as one of the stronger songs. Maybe it won't have staying power but there was something about the structure that I really liked (which is probably exactly what you hated)

Yep, I think there are some songs that will be fairly quickly forgotten. I just don't think "Your Own Worst Enemy" is one of them.

it's his voice on track 4... it sounds just shitty, super mumbly, and it's way low in the mix. not to mention the strings on that song (or most of the record, they sound sterile and fake). it reminds me of a song that'd be written for a blockbuster movie soundtrack.

tell me those opening strings on "Last To Die" don't sound lame? :)

as for the "muddy production", let's wait until we hear a no-web rip to judge that

as for the "muddy production", let's wait until we hear a no-web rip to judge that

Nah, I thought the same thing for Devils and Dust and The Rising. The CD's didn't make them sound better production-wise. They all sound muddy. Listen to The Seegar Sessions and then any of the Brenden produced discs. Night and day difference.

Nah, I thought the same thing for Devils and Dust and The Rising. The CD's didn't make them sound better production-wise. They all sound muddy. Listen to The Seegar Sessions and then any of the Brenden produced discs. Night and day difference.

fair enough if you feel that way, but Brendan O'Brien is not known for "muddy production"

other than a few songs on here i don't find much to be "muddy" sounding, same with The Rising (especially this one). Didn't listen to Devils more than a half a dozen times so i can't defend that one.

that said, there's a good rip out there that does sound way better than the one that leaked yesterday

agreed on the production end. i am just used to it now or i wouldn't buy any new cds ever. obrien has produced some good records. he did the thorns record which was a bit over produced, but was clean and less 'normalized'. the rising and now magic is just ridiculous. i just imagine bruce and brendon sitting in the studio (which is right down the street from my house, by the way) and saying, wow this sounds great. it's muddy shit! wish he could produce a record like his wife's most recent one. although i can't stand her voice, the production is clean, warm, and has that 'in the room' sound. just don't get the fascination with obrien.

just finished listening, and I don't hear any mud on the rip I had.

the strings ? guess my ears don't know fake from real, sounded fine to me.

I didn't have a problem with the production, sounded clear and bright.

I really loved most of the songs. I can't say a bad thing about it. I'm stuck, nothing negative to say.

To me the worst track might be the single.

I'd give the record an 8