New Springsteen

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anybody else just a little weary of Bruce at this stage? The single, for me, was only ok. I haven't really been captivated by a Springsteen record since Tom Joad.
Strangely after hearing TG rip him these last few years, I am beginning to see her point. If Tom Joad was the last record to captivate you...well..that says alot...(Tunnel of Love may be his last really good album.)

LouieB

I've been staring at a "qqeue" screen for about 40 minutes trying to get tickets to the show in Philly in October. Not looking good.

When the hell did Comcast start selling tickets? Guess most of the bands I have been going to see either have their own ticketing or use music today/ducat king.

In any event this stinks. What a waste of time.

That's what I get for spending all my time on a WILCO board.

Lost contact with all my Brucetramp pals who used to hook me up with promo copies and burns.

Now, I have to read you guys alternately rip and praise it while having to wait until October.

Nice.

don't suppose somebody could hook a tramp up?

Solace is right about this one, IMO. It's a decidedly mixed bag, which is true of everything Springsteen has done since the Eighties. Focusing on the good... Livin' in the Future is indeed classic E-Street stuff, and I really, really like Girls in Their Summer Clothes. It's got a beautifully rich vocal and the production is pretty titanic. Tell me this isn't a successful stab at recreating the Pet Sounds sound and I'll call ye a liar to yuir face. Terry's Song's really nice, too. Only Bruce could get away with saying that a departed friend is more unique and impressive than the Great Pyramids and make it sound oh so right and true.

Am I the only one who's really digging Your Own Worst Enemy?

i just can't stand the strings or Bruce's voice (mostly how low it is in the mix, but still), it sounds so overproduced and fake to me.

it suffers from the Aerosmith soundtrack song-itis. :yucky

Well, I've listened to the record twice today walking around Boston. And I have to say, I'm very surprised that I like it as much as I do.

To me, this record rivals any of my favorite Springsteen records. Is it a classic? Not necessarily, but it holds some great songs, easily beating the boss' last few releases.

Stand out tracks: Livin' In the Future, Gypsy Biker, and Terry's Song.

i just can't stand the strings or Bruce's voice (mostly how low it is in the mix, but still), it sounds so overproduced and fake to me.

crazy how everyone hears things different. Which makes the world an interesting place.

I keep listening to the strings, and I can't figure out why they sound fake to you.

maybe a non-rip version will be better ?

I think its just a very poor record, true I'm not the biggest fan and have always preferred the Nebraska/Tom Joad side of his material but I enjoyed a lot of The Rising and this just sounds awful. Having just been trawling through the excellent 11 (!) disc Love,Tears & Mystery tour comp of the Devils & Dust tour and you just realise how great Bruce can (& could) be.

Production ain't so hot either.

I hear there is a Tracks Vol 2 in the pipeline so hopefully that might be somewhat better!

Am I the only one who's really digging Your Own Worst Enemy?

No. I'm really enjoying it too. Especially the "everything is upsidedown/turned around" line. The structure to that point seems so predictable and then that line is totally unexpected.... Everything turned upsidedown as it where. Plus I like it lyrically in general.

I think its just a very poor record, true I'm not the biggest fan and have always preferred the Nebraska/Tom Joad side of his material but I enjoyed a lot of The Rising and this just sounds awful. Having just been trawling through the excellent 11 (!) disc Love,Tears & Mystery tour comp of the Devils & Dust tour and you just realise how great Bruce can (& could) be.

Production ain't so hot either.

I hear there is a Tracks Vol 2 in the pipeline so hopefully that might be somewhat better!

Well, hopefully we get this sort of thing -

Street Queen

Southern Son

Henry Boy

Song To Orphans

She's Leaving

The Song - aka "The Word"

Arabian Night

Cowboys Of The Sea

No Need

Tokyo

Marie

Visitation At Fort Horn

and not more of this -

1. Leavin' Train

2. Seven Angels

3. Gave It A Name

4. Sad Eyes

5. My Lover Man

6. Over The Rise

7. When The Lights Go Out

8. Loose Change

9. Trouble In Paradise

10. Happy

11. Part Man, Part Monkey

12. Goin' Cali

13. Back In Your Arms

14. Brothers Under The Bridge

I thought this was the song you reffered to as terrible. Yea, I'm with tongue-tied - I really see nothing disagreeable with the strings. I like the bridge as well; the timpani almost gives it a Pet Sounds feel.

To echo the majority of the previous responses: This is a mixed bag for sure - def front loaded. Livin in the Future is the highlight and prob will be a high point on the tour. I would say the high points beat the best moments on the Rising - but like on that album, a few of the songs are just too mid-tempo rock songs that never really go anywhere.