New Springsteen

I like a few of the songs - but - that last song is fucking stupid.

Aman...are you being intentionally or unintentionally ironic?

Every cloud has a silver lining, every dog has his day

She said, "Now don't say nothin'

if you don't have something nice to say."

The tough, now they get going, when the going gets tough

But for you my best was never good enough

"Now don't try for a home run, baby

If you can get the job done with a hit"

Remember, "A quitter never wins and a winner never quits"

"The sun don't shine on a sleepin' dog's ass"

And all the rest of that stuff

But for you my best was never good enough

"If God gives you nothin' but lemons, then you make some lemonade"

"The early bird catches the fuckin' worm,

Rome wasn't built in a day"

"Now life's like a box of chocolates,

You never know what you're going to get"

"Stupid is as stupid does and all the rest of that shit"

Come'on pretty baby, call my bluff

'Cause for you my best was never good enough

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I astonishingly quite like this album. The second half is a bit weak, especially the title track, but "Girls in their summer clothes" is easily one of my favorite songs in general at the moment, as well as "Last To Die".

Of course the lyrics aren't outstanding, but since when have Bruce's lyrics been brilliant anyway?

I astonishingly quite like this album. The second half is

Of course the lyrics aren't outstanding, but since when have Bruce's lyrics been brilliant anyway?

Sorry...

My initial response to this post was rather curt and rude.

But C'mon...this may be the stupidest most meritless thing I have ever read on a music board.

II will not even entertain the standard It's my opinion, so you can't tell me I'm wrong reply. There are some things that are so outrageous that they must not be given any creedence.

Well, I am sorry if you feel personally insulted by someone not worshipping Bruce's lyrics, but it's not gonna change my opinion, which says "his lyrics are weak, compared to e.g. Jeff's or Michael Stipe's" (I maybe should have pointed that out more!)". It's all a matter of taste, really. You shouldn't get so upset :)

not that it matters i suppose, but i'm pretty sure Jeff himself would even call Bruce a better lyricist than he himself is

but no, maybe it's different over there, i dunno, but Bruce is widely considered to be a pretty great lyricist in the US, sometimes only second to Dylan

Shiny happy people laughing

Meet me in the crowd

People people

Throw your love around

Love me love me

Take it into town

Happy happy

Put it in the ground

Where the flowers grow

Gold and silver shine

Shiny happy people holding hands

Everyone around love them, love them

Put it in your hands

Take it take it

Theres no time to cry

Happy happy

Put it in your heart

Where tomorrow shines

Gold and silver shine

Meet me in the crowd

People people

Throw your love around

Love me love me

Take it into town

Happy happy

Put it in the ground

Where the flowers grow

Gold and silver shine

Everyone around love them, love them

Put it in your hands

Take it take it

Theres no time to cry

Happy happy

Put it in your heart

Where tomorrow shines

Gold and silver shine

:rotfl Ok, touche. That is definitely not one of JMS' crowning achievements :lol

Like I said, it's all a matter of taste. If Bruce is regarded as good as Dylan, fine (that said, I don't particularly think Dylan is that brilliant either, although a lot better than The Boss). Also if Jeff regards Bruce as better than himself (I'd beg to differ ;)).

I guess I just like the more subtle lyrics better than e.g. "We go down to the River and into the river we dive" which is basically a good cross-section as to what his lyrics are like IMHO.

Just for the record: "The River" is one of my favorite songs ever. EVER. Bruce is just not one of my favorite lyricists, and no, I don't think I have ever read an article over here that would explicitely praise his poetic abilities.

Said that, it's probably because Germans normally don't speak English very well.

i could see how you'd think dylan isn't great with words

"I want a dog that is going to collect and clean my bath, return my cigarette and give tobacco to my animals and give my birds a commission."

"I am looking for somebody to sell my dog, collect my clip, buy my animal and straighten out my bird."

"I am looking for a place to bathe my bird, buy my dog, collect my clip, sell me cigarettes and commission my bath."

"I am looking for a place that is going to collect my commission, sell my dog, burn my bird, and sell me to the cigarette."

"Gonna bird my buy, collect my will, and bathe my commission."

"I am looking for a place that is going to animal my soul, knit my return, bathe my foot and collect my dog."

"Commission me to sell my animal to the bird to clip and buy my bath and return me back to the cigarette."

Oh I sincerely miss those heavy metal bands

I used to go see on the landing in the summer

She fell in love with the drummer

She fell in love

Shiny shiny pants and bleached blond hair

A double kick drum by the river in the summer

Another then another

She fell in love

I miss the innocence I've known

Playing Kiss covers beautiful and stoned

Unlock my body and move myself to dance

Into warm liquid, flowing blowing glass

Classical music blasting masks the ringing in my ears

Oh I sincerely miss those heavy metal bands

I used to go see on the landing in the summer

She fell in love with another

She fell in love

So, I'm in class today with Your Own Worst Enemy in my head, I'm thinking...man that melody sounds familiar.

Wait a second, I wrote it.

www.myspace.com/waynewhittaker

Listen to the tune Where I Belong, same chords, same melody. lol

Well, I am sorry if you feel personally insulted by someone not worshipping Bruce's lyrics, but it's not gonna change my opinion, which says "his lyrics are weak, compared to e.g. Jeff's or Michael Stipe's" (I maybe should have pointed that out more!)". It's all a matter of taste, really. You shouldn't get so upset :)

You see, you miss the point.

I don't WORSHIP anybody's 'Lyrics'. But to say that Springsteen's lyrics are weak is ridiculous. Does Springsteen at 58 write with the same verve as he did when he was 24? No. But to write off a career filled with transcendent songs such as Spirit in the Night, Lost in the Flood, Saint in the City, Incident on 57th Street, New York City Serenade, Thunder Road, Born to Run, Jungleland, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Racing in the Streets, Ties that Bind, The River, Independence Day, Stolen Car, Drive All Night, Atlantic City, State Trooper, Reason to Believe, Born in the USA (yes...read the fucking lyrics), Brilliant Disguise, Human Touch, The Ghost of Tom Joad, Highway 29, Empty Sky boggles the mind.

Say you don't like Springsteen's lyrics. Say you don't understand them. Say you are simply trying to be outrageous on an internet message board. But to say he is a weak lyricist is preposterous.

For anybody who may be interested, I will be performing with a bunch of other acts in a tribute to Bruce on Saunday. Rumor has it that the boss himself may attend, since he and the e-streeters are rehearsing down the road.

Upstage Magazine presents: TWISTED COVERS, a tribute to Bruce Springsteen

@ THE TWISTED TREE CAFE

608 Cookman Ave.

Asbury Park, NJ

Read about it:

http://www.upstagemagazine.com

I agree, Springsteen is a great lyricist. I could rattle off songtitles all day, but I doubt anyone here bashing Bruce would actually go and really listen to them.

I know...but I'm off the meds so it was off to the races.

If you have ever read the Springsteen usenet boards you would understand. Springsteen has become a lightening rod for the cynical music 'experts' who decry every recording that isn't Darkness on the Edge of Town. I was hoping this shit wouldn't follow me here.