Spoon on SNL Oct. 6

Spoon's a great band. Kudos to SNL for booking them.

And what other "indie-rock" bands have been on lately. Weren't the Shins and Arcade Fire on last year?

To me, Wilco and the Flaming Lips are better and more deserving than all of 'em. C'mon SNL....get with the program!

Pitchfork just NOW find out about that??

wow :blink

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertain...rogen-jon-.html

among other sources

dunno if i'd truly call The Shins "indie" though considering how much of SubPop is owned by a major...

I agree. I don't think we can truly consider any of those bands as "indie-rock" anymore. Its not exactly DIY!

Not to side-track this, but I honestly think "Indie" has come more to characterize a certain sound/look aesthetic rather than to describe a particular model of music making and production. Kind of like how "Punk" no longer has the same implications that it used to.

Just my two cents.

Oh, carry on.

My sister will be excited about this. I probably would've enjoyed something like this when I was a big SNL watcher in middle school/high school. Most of the acts weren't great. Ryan Adams I thought was pretty decent right after 9/11.

Maybe Wilco is too "dad" rock for SNL.

Not to side-track this, but I honestly think "Indie" has come more to characterize a certain sound/look aesthetic rather than to describe a particular model of music making and production. Kind of like how "Punk" no longer has the same implications that it used to.

You are absolutely correct. A few months ago, my friend and I were watching the Yanks and a Burger King commercial came on and the background Whopper music was a stylized synth-track and he turned and said "indie-rock has jumped the shark". The cycle goes round...

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

Looking forward to this. :music

i thought it was a pretty tepid performance myself... especially after their great performance at Monolith

my wife wasn't too impressed either... "aren't you seeing them this week? are they usually better than this?" :lol

Cherry Bomb was definitely the better performance.

Their Letterman performance didn't sound so hot either, I guess it's just the nature of their sound, doesn't translate well through the TV.

Bet you Rob Pope never dreamed he would make it on SNL.

i thought it was a pretty tepid performance myself... especially after their great performance at Monolith

my wife wasn't too impressed either... "aren't you seeing them this week? are they usually better than this?" :lol

it certainly wasn't a performance to win new fans. i was expecting more than that.

that's fine... just far from great if you've seen Spoon a few times live, that's all ;)

wasn't nearly as great as Arcade Fire or even Kanye West's SNL performances i thought though. but certainly way way better than the Shins one :yucky

that's fine... just far from great if you've seen Spoon a few times live, that's all ;)

Nah, I'm not so sure. I mean, IMO, of course. I was pretty underwhelmed with the live performances of the new tunes when I saw them in austin a few weeks back. So, considering that, and the fact that most bands underperform on late night TV (that's a tough gig), I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think it was the best performance ever, but all things considered, I thought they did a good job. Maybe my expectations were lower.

I agree that Arcade fire were quite good on SNL, and that the Shins were quite bad on SNL. Didn't see Kanye.

yeah, i'd be missing Spoon for Wilco/Andrew Bird too if they weren't doing 2 shows here

Nah, I'm not so sure. I mean, IMO, of course. I was pretty underwhelmed with the live performances of the new tunes when I saw them in austin a few weeks back. So, considering that, and the fact that most bands underperform on late night TV (that's a tough gig), I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think it was the best performance ever, but all things considered, I thought they did a good job. Maybe my expectations were lower.I agree that Arcade fire were quite good on SNL, and that the Shins were quite bad on SNL. Didn't see Kanye.

it wasn't bad, but i did have more than a few friends of mine who don't listen to Spoon, who know i listen to/dig them comment that they weren't too impressed with them. and had i not been familiar w/ their music or live shows prior, i wouldn't have been either. it wasn't BAD, no, just far from great either. i thought they were great on Letterman or was it Leno, recently.

it wasn't bad, but i did have more than a few friends of mine who don't listen to Spoon, who know i listen to/dig them comment that they weren't too impressed with them. and had i not been familiar w/ their music or live shows prior, i wouldn't have been either. it wasn't BAD, no, just far from great either. i thought they were great on Letterman or was it Leno, recently.

Gotcha. Fair points. I will try to go find the Letterman or Leno clip. Someone should start up a thread dedicated specifically to late night tv performances/youtube. Not it.