Hey everyone, meet my new friend, Ryan Adams

She's absolutely lovely, Leo.

Lovely and smart, too. She knew what she wanted, and that was to wait for him to come out and greet the fans. I had my doubts that he would, but he did. I'm glad we did wait, as it led to Leo & Mary's cool encounter later on. Unfortunately I was already on the road heading home when the last part happened, but I'm so happy there was some closure of the weird "drunk neurosurgeon" thing. :lol

The whole evening was really stellar. So much fun, filled with great tunes by a great band. Kick-ass seats in the 2nd row pit, and I even got some of that elusive "swirling sound" that sometimes accompanies "Handshake Drugs" with Wilco. It was on "Easy Plateau" extended-jam. Love it!

review: http://www.mlive.com/features/kzgazette/in....xml&coll=7

poster: no pix of it, but I thought it was cool - a close-up drawing of a red Gibson guitar (apparently Gilbsons were made in Kalamazoo). Had The Cardinals' rose logo faintly highlighted in the face of the guitar.

ryanposter.jpg

The stage backdrop is cool, lighted drapes like in the recent videos, and a mirror ball once owned by Queen, or so the story goes.

Setlist from www.ryanadamsarchive.com

On 8:31

1. Games

2. Cold Roses

3. Peaceful Valley

4. Dear John

5. Rescue Blues (on piano w/ band)

6. Wild Flowers

7. Beautiful Sorta

8. Magnolia Mountain

9. Nightbirds (Ryan on piano w/ band)

10. Off Broadway

9:25 Break

On 9:29

11. Why do they leave (solo guitar harmonica)

12. Hallejuhah (solo-shit dude)

Sylvia Plath (just a few notes)

Band back

13. A Kiss Before I Go

14. Two

15. Easy Plateau

Off 9:56

a red Gibson guitar (apparently Gilbsons were made in Kalamazoo).

The home of Gibson electric guitars today is "Gibson USA," built in 1974 in Nashville specifically for the production of Gibson's Les Paul guitars. Although the entire guitar industry went through a slump in the late '70s, the spirit of innovation remained strong at Gibson. In response to a growing demand for vintage stylings, Gibson tapped its rich history and reissued the dot-neck version of the ES-335 in 1981 and the flametop sunburst Les Paul in 1982. At the same time, two legendary guitarists joined Gibson- B.B. King in 1980 with the Lucille model and Chet Atkins in 1982 with his new concept of a solidbody acoustic guitar.

Gibson world headquarters moved to Nashville in 1984 with the closing of the Kalamazoo plant. The financially troubled company was rescued in January 1986 by Henry Juszkiewicz and David Berryman, and the new owners quickly restored Gibson's reputation for quality as well as its profitability.

A lot of the old Gibson craftsmen are still in Kalamazoo. There's a guy there named Pete Moreno who still works on guitars for everyone, sent to him from all over the world ... from the very top tiers of the music industry on down to the local gits (a bandmate of mine always took his guitars to Pete, and had him rebuild a damaged '64 Gibson SG to good-as-new condition). It was always fun walking into his shop and asking "who's in" at the moment, meaning whose guitars is he working on. The names he'd mention would just about make me cry.

Nice story, Leo!

I don't think they had the Milwaukee posters in Milwaukee - I heard they were supposed to be on sale through the Ryan Adams website, but all the posters I see on there are through August. I hope they have one in Madison tomorrow.

I took some photos in Milwaukee -

1445139047_901920e65a.jpg

1446011710_50d738b9a3_b.jpg

1444198121_1d8ae05975.jpg

The set is here.

Wow, I've never seen so many posts before on VC regarding being clean or sobriety or quoting one of the 12 steps . . .

I had heard of a group of clean Gratefull Dead fans who used to meet up at concerts and wondered if this has ever happened or could it happen at Wilco shows . . .

the other thing is the Musicians Picnic is on this Sun in So. Cal (Chatsworth) with Wayne Crammer of MC5 (Doug Lunn on bass), English Beat and others . . . anyway, thats been a great event over the last 1/4 century, pretty much one of the largest clean and sober gatherings . . .

. . . just dreamin i guess, ya know, Wilcos on break, Nels lives in LA, Tweedys being of service comments on the Sunken Treasure DVD, . . . If the event is good enough for Clapton, Dr. John, Bonnie Raitt, Crosby, Ivan Neville, etc. maybe Wilco would play it some year . . .

(12 years clean this month . . )

"It was the third of September, that day I'll always remember, that was the day, that my [addiction] died"

Wow, I've never seen so many posts before on VC regarding being clean or sobriety or quoting one of the 12 steps . . .

I had heard of a group of clean Gratefull Dead fans who used to meet up at concerts and wondered if this has ever happened or could it happen at Wilco shows . . .

the other thing is the Musicians Picnic is on this Sun in So. Cal (Chatsworth) with Wayne Crammer of MC5 (Doug Lunn on bass), English Beat and others . . . anyway, thats been a great event over the last 1/4 century, pretty much one of the largest clean and sober gatherings . . .

. . . just dreamin i guess, ya know, Wilcos on break, Nels lives in LA, Tweedys being of service comments on the Sunken Treasure DVD, . . . If the event is good enough for Clapton, Dr. John, Bonnie Raitt, Crosby, Ivan Neville, etc. maybe Wilco would play it some year . . .

"It was the third of September, that day I'll always remember, that was the day, that my [addiction] died"

Wharf Rats

Beautiful! Congratulations Chuck! (Hug)

After the Portland Oregon show in July, I waited by the bus for a half hour after the show with 3 friends. Ryan came out and hug out with us for :30-:45 minutes, just chatting with us like we were old friends. He was extremly nice. It was the highlight of my summer for sure.

Ryan's great. I missed out on meeting him by about 5 minutes in 2005 - but such is life.

I just don't get how people rip on him so much. Sure he puts on a bad show in a while, but when he's on, he's really on. The childish stuff may not be completely professional, but sometimes the guy plays a bad gig.

I know that if I'm in a bad mood, my performance at work suffers for it. I don't know we can't give the same leeway to our musicians. Hell, Robert De Niro gets paid $15 million to make terrible films these days, but people still judge him on his great ones. With Ryan (yeah, the De Niro comparison could be a stretch), people focus on "remember the time he fell off the stage and broke his arm?", not "remember that version of 'Why Do They Leave' from Northern Lights in 2005? That was killer."

Obviously all this could change if I ever see a bad gig of his...

Well I saw the Chicago show on Saturday night. I am a huge Ryan Adams fan and was worried about the backlash of the MN scenario. He actually made a joke about it "Don't ask Neal, he only plays guitar" or something of that nature. Ryan and the Cardinals are on fire right now. SO tight, SUCH great harmonies, and their songwriting is IMMACULATE. The poster from the Chicago show has a dude sitting in front of Wrigley Field the day after the Cubbies clinch their division and a guaranteed trip to the playoffs. Pretty sweet. The Magnolia Mountain opener jammed so hard it was worth the whole ticket but the rest of the show rocked too. The guy however did 3 encores. All of which were boring and sub-par even for a self-proclaimed Ryan Adams freak like myself. The rest of the show was pure beauty.

Wilco fans that aren't hip to this group do yourselves a favor and get hip. Those of you that are haters - give it another try, trust me.