The Soft Drugs...free music

It's an etiquette thing. If you're going to use teh InterWebs to promote your music, there are better and more polite ways to do it than signing up on other bands' message boards and then immediately promoting your own music before disappearing, never to be heard from again.

I'm prepared to acknowledge that this guy's different -- by still being around (even if it's largely to express indignation at the treatment he's received), he's proving that he's not the typical "I LIKE WILCO TOO SO LISTEN TO MY CRAP" drive-by self-promoter. I was a dickhead to him when he first appeared because let's face it, we've all seen a lot of those people and they are annoying. That's why it's fairly well established etiquette that you don't self-promote in your first board post. Maybe this guy didn't know that. Honestly, I never expected him to read my post, because I figured he was long gone. At this point, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I won't apologize for how I treat the usual band spammers around here. They're parasites. Do I overreact? You betcha. It's one of my character flaws.

Do I make too much out of this? Could I simply ignore such posts? Sure. Maybe this instance will cause me to think twice in the future before I start in with the abuse.

I don't regard that as a directly analogous situation. The guy in the bar is out there pounding the pavement, pressing the flesh, putting himself out there. A board spammer spends fifteen minutes dropping links on various websites and never bothers to meet or talk to anyone. Maybe I'm wrong about the need to "earn your stripes" on a board before commencing the promotional activities, but by doing so I think you make yourself more like that guy in the bar and less like the people who send penis-enlargement offers to my inbox.

hey, i conceded that it was lame. a friendly "dude, that's kinda lame...we're a bit offended" would have sufficed.

personally, i'd probably be a bit more put off by someone approaching me in a bar than typing some characters that may or may not come across my screen, but that's just me.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, i conceded that it was lame. a friendly "dude, that's kinda lame...we're a bit offended" would have sufficed.

Fair enough.

Also, at this point I think it's only fair that I welcome you to VC. People like me aside, it really is a wonderful place. I hope this thread hasn't soured you on the whole forum. It's a living, breathing community, and yes, it has its share of dysfunction, but it's also one of the friendliest places I've ever seen on the 'net.

personally, i'd probably be a bit more put off by someone approaching me in a bar than typing some characters that may or may not come across my screen, but that's just me.

Well, personally, I really hate most bars, so this scenario is strictly hypothetical for me.

Let's see.....who called who a nazi.

I appreciate Wendy's desire to make nice with this guy and frankly I was making pretty nice too (he seems to have come around to our thinking as well), but considering we actually KNOW cryptique I think defending him was proper as well. I see no reason that coming to the defense of someone we know and have spent time with in real life should be a problem here either. Had someone attacked Wendy, we also should have supported her.

No harm done I suppose but cryptique's point is well taken none the less. I am sure TW is a good guy and a decent musician. The web is a rather annonymous place and also one fraught with hyperbole. This is certianly not the first time either here or on any other board someone has had to defend their actions.

LouieB

I for one encourage TM and any other artists to post free music and tell us whats up with your band anytime, whats the reason against this again?

Through no fault of TM's, others have done this before in a sort of one or two post, 'drive-by' fashion. Sometimes for things other than music, although the Slum B Que pops immediately to mind. Seeing as TM has already made 3 posts claiming that he's never coming back and several after that, I'd say he sounds like a legitimate VC member. ;) It's really a case of others before him ruining his attempt with their ill-will, which it does seem he lacks. Just a little far on the first date is all.

Damn!!! Who was that guy anyway? I know Bonaduce, the other guy.

yeah, the 4th amendment.

if you injure or kill someone in self-defense, you cannot be convicted.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

:hmm

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

:hmm

i am no lawyer. but i believe the right to bear arms and the right to defend oneself against violence are derived from this paragraph. forgive me if i am incorrect. any constitutional lawyers on this board?

i am no lawyer. but i believe the right to bear arms and the right to defend oneself against violence are derived from this paragraph. forgive me if i am incorrect. any constitutional lawyers on this board?

I don't believe there is any federal constitutional protection for using self-defense. It is generally a state-specific statutory defense that operates to excuse certain violent behavior when the actor's life or property is facing immediate harm.

I don't believe there is any federal constitutional protection for using self-defense. It is generally a state-specific statutory defense that operates to excuse certain violent behavior when the actor's life or property is facing immediate harm.

don't listen to him, he's not a lawyer.

That paragraph is from the Fourth Amendment. The one you're thinking of is from the Second Amendment.