The Soft Drugs...free music

my career is behind me. i do my band for fun.

yeah, i did come here to promote my music. as far as i know, this is a public place...the "someone elses song" forum of a band i love. it seemed like an appropriate venue to do that. i'm not posing as anyone else, trying to fool anybody. i was extremely up front about everything. i didn't say anything deceiving. would you rather i snuck around for months first?

but i DO discuss wilco all the time with other people. in REAL LIFE. i am going to keep doing that, and not start doing this.

fucking nazi!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the dudes in the band, on my record, was literally playing guitar on stage WITH wilco at the greek theatre in LA on aug 29th. this is music i thought you might like. i guess i don't have enough message board cred. sorry. see you.

I do think there should be a sub-forum near the bottom of the main page specifically for promoting one's bands. Maybe the mods can look into it. There is a large population on this board who seem to be in legitimate bands (myself NOT included), and I think a separate forum would serve everybody better.

On the one hand, it lets the bands have a safe place to show off their music without fear of being yelled at.

And additionally, it allows the Just a Fan forum to be free of "spam".

I have heard of Pedro the Lion; I had a friend who made concert T-shirts for them.

Wasn't Pedro the Lion on Jade Tree records? I don't know that I've ever heard that band, but Jade Tree has released a bunch of records I really like (Swiz's discography, Lifetime, Jets to Brazil, Fucked Up, Zero Zero, to name a few).

I'm not sure that I have a point here either.

P.S. Cryptique also hates Halloween, children, and a guy I work with that he's never even met.

Good suggestion, Oblivious. The immediate self-promotion deal can be annoying but I think it affects/annoys some people more than others. With a sub-forum one could choose to simply avoid the entire forum if they chose.

I know I've seen at least one album by Pedro the Lion at the library. I think they're dubbed "Christian Rock" by some.

Hey all...I am a huge WILCO fan, but I just found this board. My faves by far are A GHOST IS BORN and SKY BLUE SKY. I think adding Nels was a stroke of genius.

Anyway, I have a band called the Soft Drugs...I used to be in a band called Pedro the Lion, but that fanbase is a little too young for what I'm doing. I hope some of you might like it. In fact, some members of Richard Swift's band (whom just toured the West Coast with WILCO) are good friends of mine and played on these recordings. You can download six high quality mp3s with art and lyrics for FREE at

http://thesoftdrugs.com

or to stream the songs, check out

http://myspace.com/thesoftdrugs

or

http://towerofsong.com

Sorry for the self promotion, but I'm looking for the right audience for this stuff, and I think Wilco fans could be into it. I'd love any feedback and criticisms!

Tim

Hey Tim,

Nice tunes. Just be careful what you wish for. :lol

yeah, cryptique has a point...but he made it like a dickhead.

No argument here. That's just something I do.

Of course, if you hung out around here, you'd know that's not all I do ... but I'm guessing that won't happen, so, whatever.

Hey Tim,

Nice tunes. Just be careful what you wish for. :lol

:lol

Hey all...I am a huge WILCO fan, but I just found this board. My faves by far are A GHOST IS BORN and SKY BLUE SKY. I think adding Nels was a stroke of genius.

Anyway, I have a band called the Soft Drugs...I used to be in a band called Pedro the Lion, but that fanbase is a little too young for what I'm doing. I hope some of you might like it. In fact, some members of Richard Swift's band (whom just toured the West Coast with WILCO) are good friends of mine and played on these recordings. You can download six high quality mp3s with art and lyrics for FREE at

http://thesoftdrugs.com

or to stream the songs, check out

http://myspace.com/thesoftdrugs

or

http://towerofsong.com

Sorry for the self promotion, but I'm looking for the right audience for this stuff, and I think Wilco fans could be into it. I'd love any feedback and criticisms!

Tim

For what it's worth...nice stuff.

fucking nazi!

Ah now we are being called names.

You can talk about bands here if you want, just maybe don't start by talking about your hobby band off the top. Pedro the Lion is relatively famous...relatively, meaning I have heard of then and probably heard them as well on collage radio or some such place.

LouieB

Ah now we are being called names.

You can talk about bands here if you want, just maybe don't start by talking about your hobby band off the top. Pedro the Lion is relatively famous...relatively, meaning I have heard of then and probably heard them as well on collage radio or some such place.

LouieB

so much for "stopping replying", louie.

that makes no sense. you would have preferred i promoted a band that broke up more than 2 years ago than the personal project i'm working on now?

Hey Walsh, welcome. People are assholes here and knock on anyone who posts something that they dont' want to read. But you're a musician and you know how pretentious people are. You really don't have to prove anything to them.

Anyway, I have seen you at Notre Dame with Pedro The Lion. Also, i'm pretty sure my buddy Matt Morgan from South Bend was friends with David, maybe still is, I don't know if you know him too. Anyway, its great stuff, thanks for posting it.

Hey Walsh, welcome. People are assholes here and knock on anyone who posts something that they dont' want to read. But you're a musician and you know how pretentious people are. You really don't have to prove anything to them.

Anyway, I have seen you at Notre Dame with Pedro The Lion. Also, i'm pretty sure my buddy Matt Morgan from South Bend was friends with David, maybe still is, I don't know if you know him too. Anyway, its great stuff, thanks for posting it.

apparently, i have A LOT to prove...this is an exclusive club with a policy of hazing initiates. :)

i remember that show @ notre dame well. unfortunately we were playing as a two piece, had rented gear and an iPod for a bass player. not ideal by any stretch! but it was a fun show. dave left his ATM card with the bar. they would only send it back to WA cut into pieces. i may have met matt...unfortunately i can't bring his face to mind...

thanks again.

... yeah, i did come here to promote my music. as far as i know, this is a public place...the "someone elses song" forum of a band i love. it seemed like an appropriate venue to do that. i'm not posing as anyone else, trying to fool anybody. i was extremely up front about everything. i didn't say anything deceiving. would you rather i snuck around for months first? ...

This is an extremely valid point and well made. For crying out loud, give this guy a break and get off his case. He has been very upfront about what he came here for.

And so what if he has music to listen to? Shouldn't this section be about the music, anyway? What if we were all standing in a large public room, like a bar, with lots of people chatting about music in general, and a guy walked up with some songs on CD and asked if we wanted it for free. Would you verbally abuse him and physically chase him off as an uninvited stranger, or would you thank him politely and say, "Sure, I'll listen later, thanks for the free music." Or at worst just say, "no thanks, I'll pass" and just get on back to your music conversation?

Cmon! Be nice. No one forced you to listen to it. No one even forced you to read the thread.

And as for his comment: "i'm not posing as anyone else, trying to fool anybody" -- Geez, no one around here ever does that, right Elliot Rosewater, DickTionary, etc etc. ? :brow

And as for his comment: "i'm not posing as anyone else, trying to fool anybody" -- Geez, no one around here ever does that, right Elliot Rosewater, DickTionary, etc etc. ? :brow

those guys are assholes. Perhaps you should use Tiny Diary as an example, since it is such a positive and benevolent force in the VC universe.

This is an extremely valid point and well made. For crying out loud, give this guy a break and get off his case. He has been very upfront about what he came here for.

And so what if he has music to listen to? Shouldn't this section be about the music, anyway?

It's an etiquette thing. If you're going to use teh InterWebs to promote your music, there are better and more polite ways to do it than signing up on other bands' message boards and then immediately promoting your own music before disappearing, never to be heard from again.

I'm prepared to acknowledge that this guy's different -- by still being around (even if it's largely to express indignation at the treatment he's received), he's proving that he's not the typical "I LIKE WILCO TOO SO LISTEN TO MY CRAP" drive-by self-promoter. I was a dickhead to him when he first appeared because let's face it, we've all seen a lot of those people and they are annoying. That's why it's fairly well established etiquette that you don't self-promote in your first board post. Maybe this guy didn't know that. Honestly, I never expected him to read my post, because I figured he was long gone. At this point, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I won't apologize for how I treat the usual band spammers around here. They're parasites. Do I overreact? You betcha. It's one of my character flaws.

Do I make too much out of this? Could I simply ignore such posts? Sure. Maybe this instance will cause me to think twice in the future before I start in with the abuse.

What if we were all standing in a large public room, like a bar, with lots of people chatting about music in general, and a guy walked up with some songs on CD and asked if we wanted it for free. Would you verbally abuse him and physically chase him off as an uninvited stranger, or would you thank him politely and say, "Sure, I'll listen later, thanks for the free music." Or at worst just say, "no thanks, I'll pass" and just get on back to your music conversation?

I don't regard that as a directly analogous situation. The guy in the bar is out there pounding the pavement, pressing the flesh, putting himself out there. A board spammer spends fifteen minutes dropping links on various websites and never bothers to meet or talk to anyone. Maybe I'm wrong about the need to "earn your stripes" on a board before commencing the promotional activities, but by doing so I think you make yourself more like that guy in the bar and less like the people who send penis-enlargement offers to my inbox.