Being There one of GQ 50th's "22 albums that changed men's lives"

I couldn't find this posted anywhere ("GQ" is too short to search), but I found it pretty surprising and awesome.

This month's GQ is a thick 50th-anniversary commemorative thing. The 22 albums weren't in any order, but here's the entire list:

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night (1975)

Dr. Dre - The Chronic (1992)

The Clash - The Clash (1977)

Ramones - Ramones (1976)

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain (1994)

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (1968)

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988)

The Stooges - Fun House (1970)

The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (1966)

Wilco - Being There (1996)

AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)

Beastie Boys - License to Ill (1986)

Love - Forever Changes (1967)

R. Kelly - Trapped in the Closet (2005-present)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (1984)

R.E.M. - Murmur (1983)

Anyway, pretty esteemed company, and funny coming from GQ.

Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks are both better than Freewheelin'. I think someone just said "hey toss a dylan album on there or we won't look credible!
well freewheelin' is probably his most politically charged album and angry album. but more than likely they went to allmusic.com and put the first album that has a check mark by it.

btw what the fuck is r kelly's trapped in a closet doing on that list?

If you dont recognize Unforgettable Fire and Murmur for what they were at the time then you dont know shit about 1987

If you dont recognize Unforgettable Fire and Murmur for what they were at the time then you dont know shit about 1987
not that they were recorded then but that was the year i graduated and those albums meant more than you could ever know. actually it was white casette tapes in boom boxes. not albums.
I couldn't find this posted anywhere ("GQ" is too short to search), but I found it pretty surprising and awesome.

This month's GQ is a thick 50th-anniversary commemorative thing. The 22 albums weren't in any order, but here's the entire list:

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night (1975)

Dr. Dre - The Chronic (1992)

The Clash - The Clash (1977)

Ramones - Ramones (1976)

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain (1994)

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (1968)

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988)

The Stooges - Fun House (1970)

The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (1966)

Wilco - Being There (1996)

AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)

Beastie Boys - License to Ill (1986)

Love - Forever Changes (1967)

R. Kelly - Trapped in the Closet (2005-present)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (1984)

R.E.M. - Murmur (1983)

Anyway, pretty esteemed company, and funny coming from GQ.

OMG - I'm a MAN.

Don't tell my husband,

Laura

Stuff I agree with, more or less:

• Neil Young - Tonight's the Night (1975) Yes. I was already a Neil fan, but when I heard this one it changed the whole way I thought of his music.
  • The Clash - The Clash (1977) I first got into them via London Calling, but yes, this one rules.
  • Ramones - Ramones (1976) Absolutely.
  • The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (1968) My first favorite Stones album.
  • Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (1971) The LZ album that changed my life was Houses of the Holy, but I guess I can understand why this is the one on the list.
  • Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988) For me it was Fear of a Black Planet, but otherwise no argument here. It wasn't until Public Enemy that rap made any sense to me. They showed me what it could be when done properly.
  • The Stooges - Fun House (1970) Actually, Raw Power, but yeah.
  • The Beatles - Revolver (1966) Yes. I'd heard a lot of Beatles already by the time I checked out Revolver, and it definitely was life-changing.
  • Wilco - Being There (1996) I was already a Tupelo fan and loved AM, but this record signaled to me that Tweedy was only getting better.
  • Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963) My first Dylan album. :wub
  • Love - Forever Changes (1967) I first heard this my freshman year of college, and it helped set the tone for my college years.
  • The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? Without question.
  • R.E.M. - Murmur (1983) Yup.

others:

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (1984) WTF?!? I never liked this album. I was all about War and October when this came out, and I was quite disappointed with the direction they were taking. I've never understood why this is the album that people hold up as a U2 landmark. Maybe because it got them their first real MTV airplay?

R. Kelly - Trapped in the Closet (2005-present) ARE THEY ON CRACK? I was prepared to give them props for a pretty sensible list, and then this steaming pile of shit appeared. Jesus.

Guest Left Arm Tan

this list certainly doesn't do it for me, but whatever.

"being there", yes. my favorite album of all time, and i'm fairly impressed that a wilco album would make this list. but other than that, neil young is the only other album i agree with.

any other dylan would have worked better. "new morning" in my opinion.

Yeah, me too - and it's not very "angry" at all.

My question is: why doesn't anyone ever get the title of that Beastie Boys album correct? It's "Licensed to Ill"

masters of war, blowin in the wind, don't think twice it's alright, i shall be free, etc. etc. what is not angry about those songs? it's not often that he says things like "i hope you die, and i hope your end comes soon"

masters of war, blowin in the wind, don't think twice it's alright, i shall be free, etc. etc. what is not angry about those songs? it's not often that he says things like "i hope you die, and i hope your end comes soon"

I'll give you Masters of War - that one stands out among his entire catalogue, along with maybe Idiot Wind, as furious, but the others I wouldn't call angry.

I can see how Licensed To Ill is probably more "manly" inasmuch as it is almost exculusively about guys getting drunk, high, etc and talking about having sex, but not actually having sex, and it's got a song about Paul Revere, which I guess is kind of manly.

All that said, Paul's Boutique is a far superior album.