Dave Matthews Band??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DMB have been an easy punching bag for a long time. I'm not sure if it's because of the music or the fan base, though. I used to see them in the late 80s in Charlottesville/Roanoke for $5 and they were an excellent live band. Yeah, college days. They've never really advanced their fan base beyond the college crowd. So?

I haven't listened to them in a long time but don't mind some of the tunes. It's your basic Pop/Rock with cheesy lyrics and all, but with a jammy twist. I think it's his voice that annoys me after a short while the most. The songs are pretty decent at times, and the playing quite good, but the howling and at-times whiny element to his voice wears on me. I can take it in infrequent and small doses.

DMB have been an easy punching bag for a long time. I'm not sure if it's because of the music or the fan base, though. I used to see them in the late 80s in Charlottesville/Roanoke for $5 and they were an excellent live band. Yeah, college days. They've never really advanced their fan base beyond the college crowd. So?

they were a great band (to me) until about 93 or 94 (when they would play on campus and before they became pop darlings). Haven't listened to any of their recorded material since, as I find the production and sound of his records to be in a similar vein as what I'd describe as "modern crap country" music.

I still listen to "remember two things" every once in awhile, and I think the sax on "lie in our graves" off the red rocks live disc is fantastic. when that record came out with "what would you say" back in the 90s you could kind of tell things had changed for the much, much, much worse...

Now DNB, that's another thing.

Oh good Lord yes. I have a bumper sticker on my old Aerostar that is a parody of "D.A.R.E.- to keep kids off drugs". It reads "DAVE-to keep kids on tour".

If I had a buck for every time some yokel has asked me if that was about DMB. :pirate

I was mildly interested in that first single way back when, but they followed that up with "Ants Marching," which in my opinion is a really shitty song. I've never heard anything since then to spark further interest.

While I respect their musicianship, a band's got to have some songs for me to bother with them.

I respect their talent. For some reason can not get into there music. Please help. What is it that does not compare to Wilco.

I think you have it exactly right. DMB does not compare to Wilco, or most other bands that are good.

while i think there's no point in comparing DMB to Wilco, I seem to be one of the few brave souls on here who openly admit to loving DMB. I've never seen him live, but I just can't deny the effect his music has on me. If something makes me get up and dance in my room and sing along and makes me smile, then there ain't nothing wrong with that!

i was talking music with someone the other day and mentioned wilco and they assumed i was a dave fan... i dont think ive ever been more offended, I blurted out i dont respect you or your oppinion on anything...

i dont respect you or your oppinion on anything...

because someone likes a band you loathe you refuse to entertain the idea of possibly respecting that person's opinion on anything? are you kidding?

you think music should so drastically affect one's complete view and opinion of a person?

I think this is definitely a case where the fans draw more ire than the band. Even the jamband kids hate the DMB crowd. I guess they're an easy target. I dunno. The music is, at worst, inoffensive and, at best, can actually be fairly decent. I was a fan in the early days and remember "rooting" for them to hit it big. In hindsight, maybe that was a mistake. I like the early stuff because it was very quirky and rhythmic--Dave's guitar playing and spazzy voice kind of worked in a strange sort of way. And then there was the dreck that was "Crash Into Me", and ever since then they've tried to keep one foot in mainstream pop at all times and the music smoothed out into more conventional pop and it really lost whatever it was that made them somewhat interesting in the first place. I'm sure the band can still play, but anymore they're overshadowed by the walking Abercrombie catalog that shows up to their shows. Given that the music has gone massively downhill over the years, and the crowd itself doesn't seem particularly into the music anyway, its kind amazing to me that this thing is still going.