Dave Matthews Band??

I recently won from an XRT contest a copy of the newest Dave Matthews release, which is a DM and Tim Reynolds live acoustic at Radio City Music Hall 2-CD set. I listened to one CD while driving to Champaign/Urbana last Thursday, and by about the 4th or 5th song, I'd had enough. Sad. Because in the first couple of songs I was amazed at the guitar work. But I guess I'm a "small doses" listener, too. :hmm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Left Arm Tan

DMB is pretty good. I've enjoyed some of their stuff. Two Step is a sweet ass song. But they're drastically overrated in my opinion.

Wilco is 600,000 times better.

I don't see where DMB is considered "Pop Darlings" as one poster put it. I can count the number of "radio hits" they have had on one hand - and htey haven't had one since their second album. I consider myself a fan of DMB, even though I haven't bought an album since "These Crowded Street" and haven't been to a show in several years (2003 maybe?). It seems that people hate the band because of their fans. That seems stupid to me. I bet most of the people who say that have never been to one of their shows. Yes, the crowd can be annoying, but all shows can have annoying fans - it is mainly a cause of the "festival" atmosphere of their shows (big outdoor venues, all day parking/tailgating, summertime, etc.). Alot of bands have scensters that go to the shows and bug the hell out of me, but i don't hold it against the band...I just try to move around until I am next to people who are actually listening to the music instead of drinking and talking. And you can't be mad at the "frat boys" who are always drunk, because 9 out of 10 of us wnet through that phase of our lives.

As far as DMB goes, i think they have VERY talented musicians - all of them. Some people hate Dave's voice...I like it. I hate the dude from The National's voice, most of you seem to love it. I won't say The National sucks, it is just not my bag. I don't get how people like Dave's accoustic stuff and not the band's stuff...they are the same songs. It is kind of like saying I love Jeff solo, but not when he plays with a band. My $0.02.

Out of all those bands that came out of the H.O.R.D.E. festival era (Blues Traveller, Spin Doctors, WSP, ARU, etc..) only one of them made a lasting impression on me.

I can't talk about them here though. :rolleyes

Six years ago when I was first dating my wife, I had to sit down when she mentioned she was a DMB fan. This was the woman I knew I wanted to be with forever the night we met, and I already knew she was a Yankee fan. DMB was a much harder blow. Times have changed though, and she still likes them, the old stuff, and I can tolerate that, because we never listen to them together. It's not fun to hate them anymore. It used to be a blast.

How do I know this band is full of shit?

In August 2004, DMB was at the center of a controversy when about 800 pounds of liquid human waste was dumped from band member Boyd Tinsley's tour bus through the grate in the Kinzie Street Bridge in Chicago onto passengers aboard a sightseeing boat on the Chicago River below.

Don't mess with the Chicago River, Dave.

Out of all those bands that came out of the H.O.R.D.E. festival era (Blues Traveller, Spin Doctors, WSP, ARU, etc..) only one of them made a lasting impression on me.

I can't talk about them here though. rolleyes.gif

Does it rhyme with squish? :lol

Those HORDE shows were tons of fun, tho. I think the only years I went were the tours that were headlined by the Allmans and by Neil Young, so those were guaranteed awesome, but I remember seeing a million great bands. (Wilco played the HORDE in support of AM, if I recall) I guess you're right, though, of the handful of the "big" groups to come out of that scene, not many have stuck around in heavy rotation for me all these years later. Oh well. Sure was fun, tho.

I have no problem admitting around here that I am/was a hardcord Dave fan, kinda where my multi-purpose username is affilated with...seen them way too many times to count

DMB can still pack a punch in their live shows, but unfortuanately, that's really all they have to rely on these days. Not that its necessarily a bad thing, especially for them, but basically they have become the Dead/Buffet of this era. They don't have to put out incredible new material, because they can survive by playing live gems such as #41, Two Step and still put on a helluva 3 hour + show. Sad thing is, ever since they cut ties with Steve Lillywhite as a producer, it has been nothign but struggles in putting out a gem studio album. Live is a different story, and they still rarely miss a beat...which is something to respect, especially considering how often they do tour. Carter Beaufor imo, is reason alone to want to see this band live, he skill and intensity has to be considered amongest the very elite. The shows they did at Alpine this summer with the Roots guesting throughout the whole show were phenomonal.

It can also be said, that as "big" as they may have become over the years, selling out Giants Stadium 3 nights in a row (granted that was 5 years ago now) you can still go see them play for about $60. Compare that with the Stones $250, Police $200, hell even the Dixie Chicks charge $130 (true) We are really lucky for being able to see Wilco for so cheap, for such a long time, that being said, even they are up to $45. Much has been said about the fanbase, and I tend to agree... especially on the East Coast, its a tough sell for any average concert-goer, and very unpredicatable as to what irritating drunk kids you'll run into, and obviously a huge deterrent in making the effort to see them. Not that one wouldn't have another opportunity.

For me, a perfect example of not liking a band strictly because of the fan base.

Cool story.

I saw DMB actually open for Neil Young at the old World Theater in Illinois. We had shitty seats in the last row of the ginormous pavillion. I'm wearing my Neil Young solo T-Shirt, btw.

So after the 45 minute (which felt like 3 hours) Dave set, these Gap-model looking girls not more than 18 years old came up to my wife and I and said, "Excuse me SIR, would you like these? We're leaving" and hands me two ticket stubs for 3'rd row center!! I asked, "why would you be leaving?" and the responce was "we don't know who this Neil Young guy is anyway...".

I will forever love the stupidity and generosity of DMB fans.

I can't talk about them here though. :rolleyes

The Disco Biscuits?

Ouch. So much hate for DMB in one place. I love them and they are my favorite band. Dave has written many great lyrics over the year. I guess it doesn't help that the last two major studio releases weren't exactly amazing. Whatever, I'll still go see them twice a year!

DMB have written some great and god-awful songs. I really believe there is a lot of talent in the band, they just don't execute a plan that plays up to their strengths.

#1. Their music has moved from rootsy jam groove to polished, overproduced MOR music. Bad idea.

#2. Dave has got to reign in on his vocal tics and wailing (or whatever you want to call it).

#3. The lyrics have to have some emotional attachment to the band. The Lillywhite Sessions (Busted Stuff) was their best album, and lyrically Dave's most naked. It actually had some weight behind his lyrics.

#4. Dave & Tim alone with stripped down arrangements is a great idea. Dave & Tim doing a song in 9-12 minutes is not a great idea. Too much meandering.

I think if DMB did a stripped down, mostly acoustic album, maybe of old spirituals or something dealing with elements other than partying and sex, they might surprise a lot of people.

Big-Eyed Fish, Bartender, Grace Is Gone, Crush, Save Me ... I do believe they are capable of writing and creating solid music. It just seems they are more miss than hit. Too bad.

I don't mind admitting I like DMB. I catch them every time they come to town and have a great time. Are there annoying frat boys at the concert? Sure, but that isn't unique to DMB. I have the same problem at other concerts as well. The problem I have is that their studio work since the aborted Lillywhite Sessions has really gone downhill.

The problem I have is that their studio work since the aborted Lillywhite Sessions has really gone downhill.

I think it started earlier than that. I jumped off the bus at "Before These Crowded Streets", which did have a few good tunes on it, but the majority left me cold and there were a few--I'm thinking of Stay/Wasting Time and maybe Rapunzel--that were just awful. I went to a show on that tour and that was the end of it for me.

I don't have any ill will towards them, but yeah, they haven't done anything that interested me in a long time.

I think it started earlier than that. I jumped off the bus at "Before These Crowded Streets", which did have a few good tunes on it, but the majority left me cold and there were a few--I'm thinking of Stay/Wasting Time and maybe Rapunzel--that were just awful. I went to a show on that tour and that was the end of it for me.

I don't have any ill will towards them, but yeah, they haven't done anything that interested me in a long time.

I really like the tunes on Before These Crowded Streets. Namely, The Stone, Dreaming Tree, Spoon, etc. I will admit that getting to like Stay took awhile. They have a lot of talent which makes it sad that they haven't produced any quality stuff since around 2000.