It's about time for a new cooking thread, at least that's what I think. Feel free to share your edible delights and I'll be sure to share mine. Oh and Rachel Ray isn't invited.

Tonights Dish:

Curried black beans and wild rice

P1010058.jpg

The ingredients:

Black beans, wild rice, cucumber, chives, (spicy) green pepper, garlic, curry powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, cumin, and lime.

Many of these can be easily substituted, and often I like to add chicken or other meats to this. The chives, cucumber, and lime should sit in the fridge until the very end to keep cold and fresh. Everything else can be cut up and prepared immediately, rock.

I've got a rice cooker, so that's pretty self-explanatory, your rice experiences may vary.

First I like to brown the garlic a bit to bring out it's flavor, this stuff is from my local CSA so it's pretty awesome and potent.

P1010066.jpg

Then I add the green pepper, which is a bastard child mix of bell pepper and a hot pepper the people at my CSA people grow, it's great.

Next the black beans and some extra water, just to make sure things don't dry out. At this point I just simmer the beans until they're all mushy and pasty, if you don't have a lot of time just squish them heating more quickly, it's a-okay! While you're waiting for the rice to finish you are afforded the perfect opportunity to have a beer, bourbon, or other drink, teh do it!

P1010074.jpg

Okay, the rice is done, I just add that in along with all the spices. It smells pretty awesome at this point. I like to add a little more water here as it helps the consistency.

P1010077.jpg

Okee! Now I add in most of the chives and mix them around quickly...almost done!

P1010078.jpg

Drop everything into a bowl, spread the cucumber onto the top along with the rest of the chives and squeeze some lime juice onto it. Hurray! The cinnamon and ginger gives it a nice vaguely sweet flavor, the consistency is kind of a thick dal almost, real filling and delicious. The cucumber provides a nice contrasting texture (crunchy and cold), and the slightly spicy pepper along with a couple of the other spices gives it a mild bite. :thumbup

I made chili last night. I put beans in it, which I'm sure some people won't like, but hey, I'm the one eating it so back off. It also includes onions, green bell peppers, garlic and hot peppers (one each of serrano, anaheim and poblano) from the organic CSA we belong to, as well as an orange bell pepper from the store, one 175 mL bottle of Sutter Home cab, ground beef, leftover chicken and homemade tomato sauce. And chili powder, lots of it. It's not too bad.

Getting ready to feed my friends this weekend. Takes a good two days for this.

Carolina Pulled Pork

5 pounds pork tenderloin

4 tablespoons dark brown sugar

3 tablespoons paprika

1 1/2 tablespoons salt

1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)

2 cups apple cider

1 cup water

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke (optional)

If needed, trim or halve the tenderloin so it will fit in your crockpot. Place on a plate. In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne. Rub the mixture into the pork and coat thoroughly. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours. Mix together the remaining ingredients in the crockpot when you are ready to cook. Add the pork and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Remove the pork from the liquid and immediately pull apart into shreds with two forks. Place the shredded pork in a large ovenproof dish. Toss the shredded pork with enough of the cooking liquid to keep it moist - plus some extra as it will absorb some of the liquid while sitting and reheating. Refrigerate overnight or up to 36 hours. Bake the pork at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes to reheat. Serve with barbecue sauce, buns, and cole slaw.

IMG_2868.jpg

Mmmm. Sweet, hot. Just how I like my man.

IMG_2885.jpg

Rubbit!

Mmmmm .... I want the pork with a side of the curry. Maybe some chili for dessert.

I'm in the process of going back to work (catering director for a small restaurant) after a two-year maternity leave. Therefore, the old rules apply: I don't cook unless someone's paying me to do so. I think we're going to Fletcher's in a bit. Great food, plus this wall:

1299367078_98c2508e2c.jpg

(That would be the Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt/Jeff Tweedy Wall of Fame).

porksooie!

I know! Still, I don't think I'll be jamming next to Nels on broom this weekend, but you never know. :lol

Does that mean I'm invited for pork?

If you like. We're eating at 2. PM me.

Sweet creamy jeehosedafat! :eat

This all looks scrumpdilliumptious!

(I am one lucky, lucky girl, friends and sooies! :wub)

I've been thinking a lot about black beans lately. I'm definitely going to try deepseacatfish's recipe!

Dinner tonight was Tabouli salad and tuna. Lunch was spinach, eggs, and a cheese mix in a flour tortilla. Breakfast was a fruit bar.

My new favorite thing for which I am all hot and bothered over (and a little smelly too) is Fantastic Foods' Instant Refried Beans which is sold by the pound at my local natural foods store. That stuff is awesoooooome.

If you like. We're eating at 2. PM me.

Thanks, but I was joking. Don't want to intrude! :D

I've been thinking a lot about black beans lately. I'm definitely going to try deepseacatfish's recipe!

Dinner tonight was Tabouli salad and tuna. Lunch was spinach, eggs, and a cheese mix in a flour tortilla. Breakfast was a fruit bar.

My new favorite thing for which I am all hot and bothered over (and a little smelly too) is Fantastic Foods' Instant Refried Beans which is sold by the pound at my local natural foods store. That stuff is awesoooooome.

Man, how instant can they get? Here, all along I thought getting them out of the can was the pinnancle of instantude. Are you telling me differently?

Man, how instant can they get? Here, all along I thought getting them out of the can was the pinnancle of instantude. Are you telling me differently?

These meet all kinds of standards:

"Kosher, Vegan, Wheat Free, Low Sodium, No Sat. Fat, Made With Soy"

There are canned organic vegetarian beans but this bulk stuff is cheaper and I find them easier because you just put it in a bowl and dump boiling water on it, cover, and let sit. A pan of beans on the stove top is somehow messier for me and has to be watched. Besides all that, these dry instant ones are mighty tasty with the seasoning they have in them. :yes