2003256621856611347_fs.jpg

Looking for a cheap hollow body electric to mess around with. It's only $120, but it looks like an off brand....Windaroo?

Would this be worth it, or could I find something better for the same price?

Thanks

PS- I know nothing about electric guitars, other than the fact that I want a hollow body because I've played them and I like them.

Suggestions?

Man, that's really cheap. I've never heard of that brand. It probably has poor quality electronics (but so do Epiphones). Those can be upgraded pretty easily, though. With a bit of upgrading you could wind up with a great guitar and still only be set back $300 or so.

Take a look for Harmony Rockets on Ebay if you're looking for cheap, vintage, and radical. It's overdriven sound it like being bashed in the throat with a sock full of shiny quarters, and you can usually get them for under $300 if you keep checking.

I agree that you could save up a little more and get a descent one.. I have owned a cheapy hollow body like that before and I'm sure it's made of that cheap, crumbly, partical wood stuff like most dirt cheap hollow bodies are.. And yes, it will feedback to the point where it's practicaly un-playable.. Of course I don't know these things for sure, but for a guitar that cheap, I'm probably right..

Take a look for Harmony Rockets on Ebay if you're looking for cheap, vintage, and radical. It's overdriven sound it like being bashed in the throat with a sock full of shiny quarters, and you can usually get them for under $300 if you keep checking.

I love cheap '60s American hollow bodies.

This probably isn't the model you had in mind, it's the earlier '60s version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/scopdom/rocket.jpg

That's a Dearmond "Golden Tone" single-coil, comparable to the Dynasonic pickups they made for Gretsch. Really jangly sound, and a really high output.

I just got this one - a '64 Kay Speed Demon:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/sco...peeddemon-1.jpg

It needed a lot of work - the action was a mile high. I re-shimmed the neck, adjusted the truss rod, and it's a real sweet player now. The pickups on this are just plain rude, like P90s that fell in mud.

Hard to go wrong at just $120. You already know that it's not high-end, but so what, if you're not a collector or pro guitarist it could be worth the risk. This way if you decide an electric hollowbody guitar is not for you, then you're not out a lot of coin. If you decide it is for you, this guitar will help you understand what's important to have (or not have) in a higher end guitar, and your next purchase will be better.

I have to second the earlier suggestion for a Harmony Rocket. I owned one for years but gave it to a friend who was in need of a player. Wish I still had it.

Yeah, that's why I'm leaning toward it. I play piano and keyboards, but I really would like a hollow body. I play acoustic guitar now, and I would just like a cheap electric to mess around and record with. It is either going to be this one, or a 200 dollar Arbor AJ135, which is a ES335 clone.

You can get an Epiphone White Dot at any Guitar Center for $250. Obviously they are not as good as their Gibson ES-335 bretheren but I have played them in-store and I was fairly impressed. They were a lot more sturdy and had better craftsmanship than other Epiphone knock-offs. I was going to get the one that I was looking at but I was also getting a new Strat at the time and wife wouldn't let me get both. This was around the time I was trying to convince my wife to let me mortgage the house so I could buy a vintage Les Paul Gold Top. Once again I got shot down.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I made a purchase. I ditched the idea of a hollow body, because the quality ones were too high priced for a cheap college student such as myself.

I got an Epiphone Special II instead, along with an Epiphone Studio 10 amp, and other accessories in a pack for 199.

Epiphone-LP-Special-II-Vint.jpg

I know it could be a gamble, but I read tons of reviews and they were all positive and it is supposed to be a really good beginner to intermediate guitar (which is what I wanted- I'm a piano player who messes around on guitars).

So, I made a purchase. I ditched the idea of a hollow body, because the quality ones were too high priced for a cheap college student such as myself.

I got an Epiphone Special II instead, along with an Epiphone Studio 10 amp, and other accessories in a pack for 199.

Epiphone-LP-Special-II-Vint.jpg

I know it could be a gamble, but I read tons of reviews and they were all positive and it is supposed to be a really good beginner to intermediate guitar (which is what I wanted- I'm a piano player who messes around on guitars).

A lot of the best music ever has been played on guitars that are nowhere near as good as that one.