Wilco in Deetroit Breakdown

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a poor college student, I don't have money for a new hard drive. And I'm getting close to filling up my hard drive. So I don't have room for six gigabytes for one concert on my hard drive. I wouldn't have put the torrent up if people did not ask for it.

You could save it has a data file on a disc - that is what I was taught to do.

Also - I would not post torrents on demoniod. That is the only reason you got away with that.

From Bt.etree:

Why not MP3/VQF/AAC/ETC?

These compressions all use a lossy algorithm. This means that over time, these lossy recordings can be re-extracted and re-encoded so that it sounds very inferior to the original source.

From Tape City:

- No audio torrent may distribute any lossily compressed music [e.g. MP3, VQF, OGG, or audio extracted from video DVDs that are not explicitly known to have uncompressed LPCM audio] so long as the material has been or is expected to be available to the trading community in better quality. In the rare cases where we allow audio material from lossy files, it must be in the original lossy codec and filetype: conversions to a filetype for lossless audio are always prohibited.

From The Trader

Guest Golyadkin

Excellent show. The sound was perfect. I have seen them many times over the years and this is the best show I have seen.

I have been to many rock shows and this could be the top show!

Loved the Gram Parson's outfit.

Doug dug it a lot too.

this is a debate i really don't care to be a part of...

i'll just leave you with this... people such as myself who just want to listen to the concert attended really don't care if it's a mp3 format.

you tech savvy audiophiles can listen to your loseless versions to your hearts content, but as for me, i'm as happy as the sky is blue with my mp3 version.

cheers!

You're missing the point. These shows are posted as a favor to fans by people who put in a lot of effort to record them, clean them up, and make them available -- all for free. Tapers nearly always request that shows not be traded in a lossy format, to preserve the integrity of the original recording. They don't care if you listen to a show as MP3s -- they just don't want you sharing it that way.

If you share a show in MP3 format, you're violating the wishes of the hardworking person who put that recording together, and you risk pissing off that taper, and/or other tapers, who may then decide not to provide any more shows to the masses.

Stop making it about you and the way you want to listen to shows, and think about the work that went into that recording -- work you didn't do. Then ask yourself if you want to be a dickhead and violate the standard etiquette of show trading.

You've got it now -- enjoy it. Just don't share it as MP3s.

Thanks for the info via bt etree.

Also - I know people think I am an asshole on this deal - but I am not. I had to learn this stuff - and some of the emails I got about posting Mp3's were not so nice. I like to share also - but we need to do it right.

You're missing the point. These shows are posted as a favor to fans by people who put in a lot of effort to record them, clean them up, and make them available -- all for free. Tapers nearly always request that shows not be traded in a lossy format, to preserve the integrity of the original recording. They don't care if you listen to a show as MP3s -- they just don't want you sharing it that way.

If you share a show in MP3 format, you're violating the wishes of the hardworking person who put that recording together, and you risk pissing off that taper, and/or other tapers, who may then decide not to provide any more shows to the masses.

Stop making it about you and the way you want to listen to shows, and think about the work that went into that recording -- work you didn't do. Then ask yourself if you want to be a dickhead and violate the standard etiquette of show trading.

You've got it now -- enjoy it. Just don't share it as MP3s.

Easy with the language!

P.S. I'm not sharing or posting anything. I'm just grabbing the mp3s.

Do some research before getting accusatory!!

P.S.S. You/this is the reason I avoid these forums to begin with.

This will be my last post ever. You're welcome!!

I apologize for offending all of you tapers, but like I said, I would not have shared it in a lossy format if it had not been asked for. I could have put it on a cd, and that would have been smart, but I am not.

The East Lansing show was my first concert ever and I wanted to document it. At that point I didn't even know how to use a torrent, it took me a few hours to even figure out how to download it, and then I didn't have the media player to play it(and it was 6GB). So I compressed it. Again sorry for my lack of etiquette . And also, on that note thank you so much that take so much pride in recording the shows and sharing it with us.

PS, I took down the torrent.

Thanks for your patience here folks. Unfortunately, I had a bad chip in my mic pre/ad that was recently modified which means that one channel of the recording sounded real crunchy. I was trying to mix and match everything together to make it as good as it could be before putting it out. After listening to this countless times, the only solution was to use the one good channel on both sides. Generally speaking, I never really have to alter or touch up the recordings that I do but that's the way it goes I guess. Anyhow, you will find that it is quite listenable. There are also a few seconds of digital noise about a minute into the hummingbird, presumably due to moving my bag to and fro to let people by. Promise I'll get it perfect next time...

Wilco Detroit Download

i'm not a taper but i try and collect shows i either attended or that are just downright kickass (sorry, it's early i've no suitable adjectives).

.flac/.shn/lossless audio... while it may seem like a more advanced concept to grasp, it's really quite easy.

it's no different than DL'ing any other audio (just takes longer because the file sizes are enormous).

don't let that be a deterrent. depending on how many people are seeding, it sometimes takes an entire day to DL one show... be patient, once you're on the lossless wagon you'll never fall off and it's well worth it.

fwiw, i don't have tons of gigspace on my hard drive, either; which is why after DL'ing a torrent, it's converted to .wav and saved on a CDR [i also save an alternate CDR with .flac format as well but that's just me].

i have maybe 10gigs free right now if i'm lucky.

file conversion is rather easy... anyone who wants to PM me i can help in that area.

at any rate, lossless audio isn't some audiophile/elitist state of mind; it's truly the finest-sounding file available... the best way to tell the difference is to drag an mp3 version of a song into Winamp and a .flac/.wav/lossless version as well and do the pepsi challenge.

maybe it doesn't seem to be a big difference to some but i like my audio crispy and clean, not compressed down.

and that's not to say i don't ever listen to audio in mp3 format; i have hellishly long commutes each work day and the iPud saves my sanity bacon (but this is the only instance in which i will convert lossless to mp3).

i won't belabor the point as others have already made clear the distinction between listening to mp3s and trading in that format... trade away in mp3 format; just don't be miffed when you get a noogie to your ribs about it.