WILCO at Archive.org

OK, this has been dormant for a while, but here's the latest.

Not too long after sending out the previous letter, we got a call from Wilco HQ, telling us that they had previously considered this, but had decided against it. It was a verbal response, and that's a while back now, so I can't quote it directly, but the gist of it was that they feel the community is better served by people interacting through trading, rather than just downloading shows.

So, this is the response we've put together, hoping to clarify our position on this. Let me know if any of you have any suggestions for changes, additions, etc.

Tony Margherita Management

1140 Broadway, Suite 1603

New York, NY 10001

Dear Mr. Margherita:

A few months back, we sent you a letter requesting that Wilco consider allowing their live shows to be hosted on the Live Music Archive (archive.org). We received word from Ken at Wilco HQ that the band is not interested in having their shows hosted on that site. If we understand correctly, Wilco prefers that shows be traded, rather than permanently hosted, as they feel that the trading system is part of what makes for an active, and interactive, fan community. While we respect the band

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice

i tried doing a b&p post through via chicago last year with terrible results, gaps in between songs and second cd wasn't finalized. the trader was oblivious to the issues after being emailed and didn't know how to fix the issues. noone else even resonded to my request for a trade at the time. (a few days later i did get an offer for some neil young trades.)

i don't do bit torrent sites due to their ties with illegal downloading and the virus possibility. i may be off based on these two thoughts but i'm not very comfortable with having someone pull stuff off of my computer, either.

however, i have downloaded shows and other mp3's/flacs/etc from band websites as well as archive.org. i would love to see wilco on there, even if they would just submit a few shows themselves.

thanks for trying to persuade the authorities! ww

i tried doing a b&p post through via chicago last year with terrible results, gaps in between songs and second cd wasn't finalized. the trader was oblivious to the issues after being emailed and didn't know how to fix the issues. noone else even resonded to my request for a trade at the time. (a few days later i did get an offer for some neil young trades.)

Hey, sorry you had such bad luck with the B&P. I don't think your experience is the norm, but there are definitely not as many people doing B&Ps as there were in the past. Yeah, we're hoping that the powers-that-be will recognize that this system would really benefit the most people.

Hey, sorry you had such bad luck with the B&P. I don't think your experience is the norm, but there are definitely not as many people doing B&Ps as there were in the past. Yeah, we're hoping that the powers-that-be will recognize that this system would really benefit the most people.

i did do some trades a couple of years back on here that were great. she was just a newbie trader is all.

OK, this has been dormant for a while, but here's the latest.../...So, this is the response we've put together, hoping to clarify our position on this. Let me know if any of you have any suggestions for changes, additions, etc.

Gogo, thank you very much for your work :thumbup

Dear Mr. Margherita:

"There has been a lot of recent dialogue among the fans at ViaChicago.org >>Sincerely,

The Administrative Staff of Via Chicago "

Nice letter indeed,Yeah I'd love to do some retro B&P if only I could find my last stamp.Untill I find it again I prefer to swap some bits&bytes though.-Howdy

i don't do bit torrent sites due to their ties with illegal downloading and the virus possibility. i may be off based on these two thoughts but i'm not very comfortable with having someone pull stuff off of my computer, either.

sorry, i'm slightly off topic here, but willy ... you oughta reconsider bit torrent downloading. i've filled two 500 gb hard drives with live shows and the risk is zero. as long as you use accepted trackers approved by the trading community - dimeadozen, thetradersden, bt.etree, etc., there are no worries about viruses. and although other people are technically pulling stuff off your computer, they're doing it through a tracker, so the safety level there is 100 percent. this is safe, legal and fun. and easy to set up. and addictive. i highly recommend it.