WILCO at Archive.org

Personally I liked having the tracker here on VC, and making it dedicated to WILCO & related torrents only. Since they were all in one place, it was easier to keep them seeded & they never got deleted off the server, so they could be brought back to life if someone posted a request. I don't remember the official reason why the torrent server was removed, but I'm guessing it was taking too much time & effort to maintain.

gogo & A-Man had a related discussion on another thread, which is now closed:

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=31666

In the past I've linked show setlists on wilcobase to etree.

See this show for an example -- All the way at the bottom of this page ;)

http://wilcobase.com/event.php?event_key=907

I haven't updated these links, but thats just because of my neglect. I have a script that does this, so I don't think it should be too difficult to update. Granted these aren't links to places where you can download the show, only links to the etree entry, and other etree users that list the show in their trade list. I'd be open to other ideas about how to link Wilcobase to these torrent sites. I've considered writing a script that will search bt.etree.org, (and other torrent sites), and aggregate the WILCO related torrents onto one page. (ala torrentspy, mininova, etc).

As many of you know by my not so speedy setlist updates, my time is limited... but i'd like to be a part of a project like this that makes it easier for everyone to find WILCO shows to download.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could just click a link on a song listed on wilcobase, and be able to download the song, or at least a low-quality MP3 sample.

If any of this makes sense to you, and if you have any suggestions on how I can improve wilcobase in this regard, don't hesitate to drop me a line. (I can't keep up with the forums here, so e-mail works best for me) feedback at wilcobase dot com

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past I've linked show setlists on wilcobase to etree.

See this show for an example -- All the way at the bottom of this page ;)

http://wilcobase.com/event.php?event_key=907

Rob, I think I mentioned that in the other thread... I didn't realize it was already there! You take such good care of us. :thumbup

Seems to me that a similar link on wilcobase, to archive.org, would be by far the easiest, both for the downloaders and for you. I'd be satisfied with just a link to the show, but if you could link each song to the related file on archive.org, you'd be in serious "wow" territory!

I would rather not see mp3's there myself. And of course I would always go for SBDs first, but that's just me.

I prefer options. I use archive.org, and sometimes I go for lossless, sometimes for mp3--and I like having choices that best suit my particular wants and needs. Choice helps everyone, and hurts no one.

Think positive - we are trying.

On December 22, 2003, Ryan Adam's Management OK'd the sharing and archiving of Ryan Adam's shows at archive.org:

Re: Is It okay to share live fan-recorded Ryan Adams shows at archive.org?

"Ryan doesn’t mind if live recordings make it up on sites as long as no money is changing hands…you know he allows anyone to plug into the board and record. Keep it fun and free and I think we are all ok with it." as quoted from the co-webmaster of a ryan adam's fan site. Quote was from RA mgt.

from: http://www.ryanadamsonline.com/forum/showt...mp;threadid=284

----

from Bands that allow taping: http://btat.wagnerone.com/

Ryan Adams is usually cool with taping, and board access is allowed as well! Just show up early and talk to Steve (Ryan's tourmanager) or Turk (his soundman). Steve might even let you in for the soundcheck to get your gear set up. But: In any case, they only let one person in before doors-open. (This happened to me in Offenbach, Germany on Dec. 3, 2002.) However, Steve said he doesn't care how many people actually tape the show from the board as long as they don't get in Turk's way.

Here's the updated letter. I've left the language in about archive.org being more impersonal than more interactive sharing options, unless there is strong opposition to its inclusion.

Dear name:

There has been a lot of recent dialogue among the fans at ViaChicago about hosting Wilco

Here's the updated letter. I've left the language in about archive.org being more impersonal than more interactive sharing options, unless there is strong opposition to its inclusion.

Sounds good to me.

Good job Ninjas !

To samuel_70 and the other posters in this thread - the letter has been turned over to the admin/mod dudes of the board.

Thank you all for your effort.

I'll be away for 3 weeks as from tomorrow.

Hope we'll get some good news when I return.

Cheers,

Samuel

OK, the following has gone off in the regular mail; I'll also be e-mailing a copy to TMM. We'll keep you posted on any response.

November 14, 2007

Tony Margherita Management

1140 Broadway, Suite 1603

New York, NY 10001

Dear Mr. Margherita:

There has been a lot of recent dialogue among the fans at ViaChicago.org about hosting Wilco

Yeah, Samuel who started this rolling, Analogman who has been expediting things, and Ninjas E. "Caliber66" Liverwurst who wrote the letter all deserve tons of credit. :worship

Hopefully their hard work will pay off, and then we'll all get a chance to contribute by uploading whatever shows we've got lying around. :music

• 4 weeks later...