WILCO at Archive.org

I'm a software engineer and could fairly easily put up a Wilco trading site. The problem would be that if it wasn't torrent, which I don't really like too much anyway, the site would have some overhead for hosting space/bandwith. If that was the case it may be a donation or subscription thing, which I also don't think Wilco management would agree with too much. Let's see what happens with Archive.org, and if nothing comes about I would be happy to work with a few others here on getting a trading site up and running...

Dave

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good deal.

Indeed.

Whatever happens next I'm already glad to read all the comments about people willing to help.

(I've got at least 60+ Wilco and 20+ Tweedy shows I can share (1995-2007), mainly sbd)

Samuel

i'm pretty sure the reasons against the archive are because it is impersonal. i know few people actually trade, but when you do trade it's human to human interaction, not clicking a button on a computer. i know BTs are the same thing, but i think that's why they are against the archive

I'm a software engineer and could fairly easily put up a Wilco trading site. The problem would be that if it wasn't torrent, which I don't really like too much anyway, the site would have some overhead for hosting space/bandwith. If that was the case it may be a donation or subscription thing, which I also don't think Wilco management would agree with too much. Let's see what happens with Archive.org, and if nothing comes about I would be happy to work with a few others here on getting a trading site up and running...

Dave

We used to have one of these attached to VC. It was never clear to me why this got removed.

We used to have one of these attached to VC. It was never clear to me why this got removed.

Technical/server issues, which eventually became more than solace has time to deal with. It was nice to have a dedicated Wilco/Wilco-related tracker, with VCers moderating it, but if it's more trouble than it's worth (considering that there are plenty of other places to get those shows), then I'd rather have solace keeping this place up and running than going nuts trying to keep a tracker online.

Ok - people - Mr. Ninjas E. Liverwurst has put together a letter for us to send to the Wilco dudes. Please post comments - and let's get it to them sooner than later.

Name

Address

City, State ZIP

Dear name:

There has been a lot of recent dialogue among the fans at ViaChicago about hosting Wilco

Should we mention that while there are sites such as etree.org etc that have hosted many many Wilco torrents at one time or other, they "come and go" as demand dictates, leaving fans with no one single place where all approved material could be perused at once?

To me, that's the strong selling point of the entire exercise.

they DO allow mp3s.... that is, most shows i've seen up there have flacs AND mp3s. i think maybe they don't allow shows that are mp3 sourced and only available in mp3, but mp3s definitely DO go up there.

I think that it's only up to the uploader to chose whether his recording will be available in mp3 format or ot.

If selected, The mp3 conversion is done by the site itself. One high quality mp3 version + one low quality (64kb I think) for online streaming.

Many thanks to Ninjas E. Liverwurst for the letter :thumbup .

Fingers crossed !

I'm off to see the band this evening in my hometown, Brussels (Belgium) :rock

I'll go early, so if I got the chance to meet any member of the band outside the venue I might pass the word :ninja

Samuel

Should we mention that while there are sites such as etree.org etc that have hosted many many Wilco torrents at one time or other, they "come and go" as demand dictates, leaving fans with no one single place where all approved material could be perused at once?

To me, that's the strong selling point of the entire exercise.

Yeah, maybe we could add that to the "Archivally minded" bullet point - "This means that, unlike other live music file sharing sites, the shows hosted at archive.org are intended to be permanently available," or something to that effect.

they DO allow mp3s.... that is, most shows i've seen up there have flacs AND mp3s. i think maybe they don't allow shows that are mp3 sourced and only available in mp3, but mp3s definitely DO go up there.

Well, I got that straight from the archive.org "letter to the artist" template. Their language is "we don't use mp3," which means that they're not exactly enforcing that principle if there are mp3s on the site. Perhaps we should change it to "we discourage the posting of mp3s."

Yeah, maybe we could add that to the "Archivally minded" bullet point - "This means that, unlike other live music file sharing sites, the shows hosted at archive.org are intended to be permanently available," or something to that effect.

Well, I got that straight from the archive.org "letter to the artist" template. Their language is "we don't use mp3," which means that they're not exactly enforcing that principle if there are mp3s on the site. Perhaps we should change it to "we discourage the posting of mp3s."

Sounds good on both counts.

I love it when Caliber is writing letters :wub

I saw a Benevento/Russo Duo show where they teased Muzzle and I just wanted to get the song instantly and I was glad they had mp3s avialable.

Not to jack the thread, but I saw that Benevento/Russo show, and my god was it amazing. One of the LOUDEST shows I've seen and then at the Encore, MUZZLE!