The Flying Burrito Brothers Live - Avalon Ballroom 1969

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a fan of the packaging...it's nearly impossible to get a disc out of its sleeve...that said, the music is great!

I noticed that too.....

As far as my surgery, no staples on the outside, and I am getting stronger every day.

LouieB

I noticed that too.....

As far as my surgery, no staples on the outside, and I am getting stronger every day.

LouieB

:worship

Glad to hear that, Lou.

I just got a BBC Gram Parsons documentary - looks pretty good so far. A lot of stuff about the family.

GRAM PARSONS: FALLEN ANGEL

Friday 7 July 2006 10.30pm-midnight; 1.50am-3.20am

Thirty years after his untimely death, BBC Four presents the first-ever documentary film about the musical legend Gram Parsons.

On 19 September 1973, the musician and heir to a million-dollar fortune died under the influence of drugs and alcohol near his favourite place - the Joshua Tree National Monument in the Californian desert.

As the founder of the Flying Burrito Brothers; a member of the hit-making, legendary Byrds; an important influence on the Rolling Stones and the man who catapulted Emmylou Harris to fame, Gram Parsons made music history in only a few years.

The film was made on location by director and musician Gandulf Hennig and American music journalist, musician and biographer Sid Griffin. Friends, contemporaries and devotees of Gram Parsons talk about the importance of his work and the bizarre circumstances of his early death. Rare footage of his performances shows why Parsons has become a legend.

Interviewees include Gram's wife Gretchen, his sister and daughter, Keith Richards, Emmylou Harris, Chris Hillman and "Road Mangler" Phil Kaufman.

Alright - except for the fire simulation deal at the end. The Kaufman dude is fucking idiot. It was made by the BBC, yes?

And I noticed all the dudes looked like warmed over death and all the ladies were heavily made-up - except for that one woman. I take it she is the one with him when he died. She seemed pretty out of it.

I got that Hennig doc a little while ago. While it's nice to see a whole documentary on Gram Parsons, I didn't think it was the greatest of films. I'll have to watch it again to give specifics but I remember after watching it that it could have been done a bit better.

That being said, I loved some of the footage they had.

Gram Parson's bio would make a great movie as well ala Walk the Line, Ray, etc. but probably won't get made as Parsons wasn't as "big" as those other artists. Well, an Ian Curtis biopic was just made so you never know.

Saw Grand Theft Parsons as well and liked parts of it but as a bio of Parsons or even Phil Kaufman, it wasn't too great. The part where they take the body from the hangar and crash into the hangar door was hilarious.

Looking forward to purchasing this live Burrito Bros. disc.

I bought this and listened to both discs the other day.

Aside from the ridiculous packaging (hard to extract discs, the booklet coming loose from the cover), it is a fun time, but mostly for long time fans wanting to hear something new. The set lists are almost identical for both sets, the sound is okay as a bootleg, the musicianship is less than stellar (but then the Burrittos where never about perfection) and there are not enough originals in either set. Other than that, I wouldn't miss this one, particularly if you want to hear Gram (who is formost in the mix anyway).

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...
This set sounds pretty good to me and my one complaint is the packaging as the discs are near impossible to easily remove from the packaging.

Well they thought they were doing right, but being unable to get the disks out and the badly stapled booklet are both problems. Other than that it is a pretty fun set.

LouieB

Is the issue worse than the way the cds held in place in the Bruce box Tracks or the Faces box?

Not sure about the Faces box since I don't have that, but the Bruce box is one of the tackiest pieces of crap ever...

After awhile you can get these CDs out of the slipcover, but not without putting your fingers on the music side. Either that or you have to pretty much tear the thing open which would be a drag also. Either way Amoeba wasn't thinking on this one, but we do have them to thank for getting it out to us, so I guess that is good enough.

LouieB

Is the issue worse than the way the cds held in place in the Bruce box Tracks or the Faces box?

The pockets containing the CD's are very tight and cover the cd's entirely. You really have to dig the discs out or turn the set over and tap them out, which I imagine will eventually wear out a corner of the package. I imagine eventually I will be ripping them accidentally to get the discs out. In contrast the new Song Remains the Same reissue also has very tight pockets but at the top of the pocket there is a cutaway which allows you to more easily extract the discs.

• 1 month later...
I bought this and listened to both discs the other day.

Aside from the ridiculous packaging (hard to extract discs, the booklet coming loose from the cover), it is a fun time, but mostly for long time fans wanting to hear something new. The set lists are almost identical for both sets, the sound is okay as a bootleg, the musicianship is less than stellar (but then the Burrittos where never about perfection) and there are not enough originals in either set. Other than that, I wouldn't miss this one, particularly if you want to hear Gram (who is formost in the mix anyway).

LouieB

Well, Santa paid me a visit and I now own these discs. The sound is like a 3rd or 4th generation analog tape, but all things considered it's not too shabby.

Anyway, I'm listening right now and I'm in heaven. :music

Whatever generation it is, it certainly sounds like the good old fashion one microphone kind of bootleg recording, nothing fancy, just lucky to have been recorded at all.

We were in the car the other day when the Everly Brothers cover came on and Rosie commented it sounded like they were all on drugs, which undoubtedly was the case.

LouieB

That amazes me - as the man who taped it, made good tapes. It would be soundboard - not AUD. Who is listed as doing the audio work for the release?

The dudes name is Paul Stubblebine- apparently hand-picked by Bear.

It is wierd - I have the 4/6/69 GD show on cassette and it sounds great. But if I remember correctly that is a KFOG or KSAN FM-SBD.

I don't know much about this stuff (I know what a sound board tape is and what I think it should sound like), but frankly if it is a soundboard, they weren't doing a very good job with sound at the time, which frankly may be true. This was the the late 60s, it could have been the entire place was on some sort of drug or other..... :lol

LouieB

Honestly it is worth picking up I think. Not being someone who goes after downloads, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were better FBB material out there soundwise. I can't imagine the band actually sounding more together than they do here. They were never known for their professionalism and this certainly proves that. As I said before, it is always fun hearing Gram and the gang, so I am happy to have it.

LouieB