The Flying Burrito Brothers Live - Avalon Ballroom 1969

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome but weak sauce.

I rember a an annocnment a few months ago about Parson/dead material. I knew it was rumored that they tried recording together and I thought they were releasing tapes of the two together. oh well.

I wouldnt expect much from these tapes; from what I hear they weren't to good live.

awesome but weak sauce.

I rember a an annocnment a few months ago about Parson/dead material. I knew it was rumored that they tried recording together and I thought they were releasing tapes of the two together. oh well.

I wouldnt expect much from these tapes; from what I hear they weren't to good live.

According the article in No Depression - Stanley was not willing to do this at first, but then changed his mind. I wonder if he keeps his non-Dead tapes separate from the vault? I know in recent years, some Jefferson Airplane shows have been released that he taped. I will be surprised if he does not do some sort of Wolfgang's Vault deal some day. I have the Allman Brothers live cd that came out via Grateful Dead Records some years back - I think it is out of print now - it was made from a Stanley tape.

The Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East 2/70

GDCD 4063 - SB 6

According the article in No Depression - Stanley was not willing to do this at first, but then changed his mind. I wonder if he keeps his non-Dead tapes separate from the vault? I know in recent years, some Jefferson Airplane shows have been released that he taped. I will be surprised if he does not do some sort of Wolfgang's Vault deal some day. I have the Allman Brothers live cd that came out via Grateful Dead Records some years back - I think it is out of print now - it was made from a Stanley tape.

The Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East 2/70

GDCD 4063 - SB 6

ehhhh... Owesly is a tempramental bastard when it comes to the recordings. I preety sure he was really pissed when he found his recording circulating amoung traders.

Plus its not like he needs the money. I hear he does good bussiness selling jewlery. Too bad he doesn't make that other stuff anymore :(

This will probably have a few amazing gems to savor and cry over (any version of Hot Burrito #1 would undo me, I'm sure), and the rest will be throw away tracks.

The Burritos were a notoriously uneven live band, and the Avalon performances were no exception. Gram's abused voice didn't hold up well for an entire set.

I don't think I have ever heard any live stuff by them. At least it's some new stuff - instead of the same studio stuff that seems to be issued over and over again.

I'd have to dig it out, but I seem to recall some live tracks (one side?) on the "Last of the Red Hot Burritos" LP. Of course GP ain't on it though.

I don't think I have ever heard any live stuff by them. At least it's some new stuff - instead of the same studio stuff that seems to be issued over and over again.

Hmmm. Gram is dead and when he was alive not a particularly productive or disciplined artist, unfortunately. Chris Hillman said of touring that year: "We weren't very good on stage. We spent a fortune and didn't accomplish anything. It was a stupid tour really."

I don't think there is much quality 'new' stuff left to be had.

I'll undoubtedly get this, but I'm afraid it's just going to make me sad.

I wonder what his daughter has to say about this release - as she now controls the estate. I hope they don't do a Marley/Hendrix on him - but I suppose they are - in a small way. He was a junkie - with money and no one to tell him no - as far as I can see. Not the first time we have heard that story.

This is great. I'll definitely be asking Santa or the birfday fairies for this one! :dancing
Yea, let's hope it is worthwhile. Some of the Gram releases are less than thrilling, but somehow I have managed to buy them all anyway.... :lol

LouieB

Yea, let's hope it is worthwhile. Some of the Gram releases are less than thrilling, but somehow I have managed to buy them all anyway.... :lol

LouieB

Ahhh...I see you suffer from having the "completist gene" too. :lol

Ahhh...I see you suffer from having the "completist gene" too. :lol

In this case, yea. I had not bought the reissue of the Reprise sessions until I found a copy used a few months back. The outtakes were certainly worth it I suppose. But some of the early folkie stuff is of minor interest to say the least. Interesting for a listen or two and that is about it.

LouieB

I have the following:

The Gilded Palace of Sin/Burrito Deluxe (1997)

(I got it all the way from Holland via Ebay)

Farther Along - The Best of The Flying Burrito Brothers (1988)

Hot Burritos! The Flying Burrito Brothers Anthology 1969-1972 (2000)

And some ISB tracks that M.C. sent me.

I think I have just about every bit of Gram there is with the exception of one of the interview disks that didn't seem worth it. Most of it is on vinyl due to the fact that I bought them way back when....

Live with the Fallen Angels is definitely worth having......starts a bit rocky and gets much better.

LouieB

as far as Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers releases I have the following

Gram Parsons-"Cosmic American Music"

Gram Parsons-"GP"

Gram Parsons-"Grievous Angel"

Gram Parsons and The Fallen Angels-"Live 1973"

Gram Parsons-"Warm Evenings, Pale Mornings, Bottled Blues"

Gram Parsons and The Flying Burrito Brothers-"Sleepless Nights"

The International Submarine Band-"Safe at Home"

The Flying Burrito Brothers-"Gilded Palace of Sin/Burrito Deluxe"

and I did some digging and i do have a copy of the Avalon shows and they play like shit, oh well I'll be passing up on this release.

Live with the Fallen Angels is definitely worth having......starts a bit rocky and gets much better.

This album is a must have, so good!

Just picked up the new Archives Vol. 1 from Amoeba records. Halfway through the second disc in this fantastic set fom 1969 at the Avalon Ballroom. Wow. :dancing

Band is tight and the sound is absolutely fantastic. Gram's voice in on.

If your a fan and like them this is a must have.

Liner notes are great with some wonderful pictures. Highly reccommend. :monkey

Personal fave "Mental Revenge", Enjoy.