I Want Your Chili

It's supposed to get "cold" here tomorrow night for the first time this year. I know I'll be wanting some chili before the week is up, and to be frank, I'm tired of my chili kit chili.

Post some of your recipes. I know you guys and gals can cook, so go.

2007 world champion

Ingredients: 3 lb tri tip

1 med onion minced

1 sm can green chiles diced

3 cloves of garlic minced

1 can chicken broth

1 1/2 tsp Tabasco

1 8 oz. can Hunt's tomato sauce

Blend together:

2 tbsp mexico hot powder

2 tbsp mexico mild powder

2 tbsp california hot powder

2 tbsp california mild powder

3 tbsp cumin

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

2 tsp msg

1 tsp mexican oregano

Instructions: Brown meat in small batches; return to pot with veggies, chicken broth, and half the spice mix. Simmer 2 hrs. Add remaining spice mix and cook for 1 hr. adding liquid if necessary. Adjust seasonings to personal taste last 15 min.

61WGX7PJT6L._SS500_.jpg

3 lb ground turkey

2 cans organic black beans

2 20oz cans of organic diced tomatoes

1-2 red peppers, diced

1 green pepper, diced

1-2 lg. onion, diced (depends on how much you like onions)

4-8 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup water

1/4 cup red wine

4 bay leaves

4 tsp. cumin

4 tbs. chili powder

2 tsp. sea salt

3 tbs. oregano

5 tsp. cayene

Brown the meat in a skillet and drain. Saute the peppers and onions in canola oil in a separate pot. Add spices to the peppers and onions after they've cooked a bit.

Don't over do the veggies - they'll cook when it's all mixed.

Add tomatoes, water, red wine, bay leaves and meat to the pot & let simmer for a couple of hours if you can.

When you eat it, add some shredded cheddar to the top.

for best results, cook this in a slowcooker overnight.

I sold about a gazillion gallons of this when I was catering:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 yellow onion, diced fine

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 green bell pepper, diced

Jalapenos, minced (as many or as few as you like)

1 lb. ground beef or stew meat

Seasoning mix*

3 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes (Undrained. If you like peppers more than tomatoes, sub one can of chipotles in adobo sauce for one can of tomatoes.)

1 14.5-oz can black beans (undrained)

1 14.5-oz can great northern beans (undrained)

1 14.5-oz. kidney beans (undrained)

*Seasoning mix (to taste)

salt

cumin

Cajun seasoning (I like Tony Chachere')

chili powder (Make sure it doesn't have anything in it but dried, ground chilis. Use whatever kind of peppers you like.)

Mexican oregano

cayenne

black pepper

1. Heat oil in a large pot. Saute onions, garlic and peppers until they begin to caramelize.

2. Add beef and brown.

3. Drain excess grease. Add seasoning mix. Cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute. Scrap any yummy little brown bits that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan.

4. Add tomatoes and stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for about half an hour.

5. Add beans. Cook for about 20 minutes.

Of course, sample as you go and adjust seasonings as needed.

I sold about a gazillion gallons of this when I was catering:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 yellow onion, diced fine

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 green bell pepper, diced

Jalapenos, minced (as many or as few as you like)

1 lb. ground beef or stew meat

Seasoning mix*

3 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes (Undrained. If you like peppers more than tomatoes, sub one can of chipotles in adobo sauce for one can of tomatoes.)

1 14.5-oz can black beans (undrained)

1 14.5-oz can great northern beans (undrained)

1 14.5-oz. kidney beans (undrained)

*Seasoning mix (to taste)

salt

cumin

Cajun seasoning (I like Tony Chachere')

chili powder (Make sure it doesn't have anything in it but dried, ground chilis. Use whatever kind of peppers you like.)

Mexican oregano

cayenne

black pepper

1. Heat oil in a large pot. Saute onions, garlic and peppers until they begin to caramelize.

2. Add beef and brown.

3. Drain excess grease. Add seasoning mix. Cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute. Scrap any yummy little brown bits that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan.

4. Add tomatoes and stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for about half an hour.

5. Add beans. Cook for about 20 minutes.

Of course, sample as you go and adjust seasonings as needed.

I like this one! Lets have this one!

Great idea for a thread Pig! :cheers We're having a batch tomorrow (it's supposed to get below freezing here). I don't know exactly what the wife puts in it but it's good stuff. Still, I think I'll just print out this sucker!

This was just sort of a mishmash.

• The remains of one 7lb Oven Stuffer Roaster (minus legs & half of one breast, which were eaten at another sitting)
  • One large onion, diced
  • Two bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
  • Two serrano peppers, roughly chopped
  • Five cloves garlic, minced
  • ~One quart of tomato sauce
  • Two 15 oz. cans of beans, drained (I used one black & one canellini)
  • Chili powder, to taste

Sweat veggies for a few minutes over medium heat (add garlic at the end), add chicken & warm through. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer until desired thickness is achieved. Stir occasionally.

Serves about six.

I love chili season! Just made it last week along with a cast iron skillet full of cornbread.

In a big soup pot:

1 yellow onion

1 red bell pepper

3 cloves garlic, pressed

Saute in a bit of olive oil starting with onion, then pepper till tender crisp, garlic last, just till fragrant. Remove from pot and set aside.

1# ground venison

Fry in leftover oil and juices from veggies. Add a pinch of salt when it's cooked.

Add veggies back to pan along with:

1 can dark red kidney beans

1 can chili beans

1 can yellow hominy

1 7 oz can Herdez Salsa Casera (If you don't know this stuff, check it out. Best salsa in the universe.)

1 big can V-8

Add spices:

1T hi-test chili powder

1T ground cominos

1T oregano (I grow my own. :shifty)

1T dried Aleppo pepper

Return all ingredients to a slow simmer, reduce heat. Chili is always best the second day.

Don't forget...leftover chili makes awesome taco salad!

For any of you in the Whitetail belt, chili is a GREAT use for venison...

There is a cold buttermilk soak trick to get rid of any "gamey" taste, and then it really tastes like a lean beef or bison...

IMO, the meat in chili should be fairly neutral and not have a strong flavor on it's own, and I would rather have a humanely harvested wild animal from a properly managed wilderness in my area than a cow pumped full of rGBH (and god knows what else) from a slaughterhouse...

If you are sending the meat through a grinder.... end of story...

If you like cubed meat (a la stew meat) in your chili, then soak in Knudsen papaya nectar for a few hours, the papain enzyme serves as a mild tenderizer.

Do this AFTER the buttermilk thing, use a clean bowl, and rinse well under cold water after each soak, and keep the soaking meat refrigerated the whole time to keep bacteria at bay.

Add to your favorite chili recipe with your favorite 5-bean, 7-bean, or 12-bean soup mix to provide the fiber and the complex carbs, and simmer on low in the crock pot for a LOONG time.... and be sure to keep plenty of Frank's Red Hot or your favorite Lousiana Cayenne sauce handy.

For the fellow Chicago area VCers, I think Portillo's has a decent chili... considering it's available through the drive-thru!!

I just make it up as I go along.

Some beef, some beans, some tomatoes (both canned and fresh), some chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder... Maybe some cinnamon, cocoa, and clove, if I'm feeling the Cincy thing.

Cook it for about 3 or 4 hours.

Just make that up. It's hard to screw up.