arcade fire on austin city limits

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week Wilco, this week Arcade Fire, it's sure been a few good weeks of ACL.

It'a a bit hit-and-miss for the next few months.

11-17 Brad Paisley/Dierks Bentley

11-24 Van Morrison (Encore)

12-01 Gretchen Wilson/Miranda Lambert (Encore)

12-08 Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Encore)

12-15 John Mayer

12-22 Lucinda Williams/Old Crow Medicine Show

12-29 Bloc Party/Ghostland Observatory

01-05 Crowded House/Grupo Fantasma

01-12 Regina Spektor /Paolo Nutini

01-19 Roky Erickson/Kings of Leon

01-26 ACL PRESENTS: The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival

I DVR'd it this morning, I'm going to watch it when I get home from work in tomorrow morning. Can't wait. It's pretty sad that out of all the stuff I have recorded in my DVR, ACL takes up most of the used space. I have both Wilco ACL's, The Jayhawks, The Flamming Lips w/Cat Power (War Pigs with the her singing with Wayne is nuts), Sufjan Stevens, and now Arcade Fire. I really should upgrade to a bigger size but I don't want to lose all of the stuff I have saved.

I'm not a fan, but I tuned in for a song or two to see if that opinion still holds (it does).

The reason I'm here posting, though, is to ask whether the mix seemed terrible to anyone else? The portion I watched had a really muddy lead vocal, and the instrumental mix didn't sound very good. I mean, I don't like these guys, but I was starting to feel really sorry for them because of the shitty mix they were getting from the ACL folks.

For their sake, I hope this was just an anomaly of the broadcast in my area.

I'm not a fan, but I tuned in for a song or two to see if that opinion still holds (it does).

The reason I'm here posting, though, is to ask whether the mix seemed terrible to anyone else? The portion I watched had a really muddy lead vocal, and the instrumental mix didn't sound very good. I mean, I don't like these guys, but I was starting to feel really sorry for them because of the shitty mix they were getting from the ACL folks.

For their sake, I hope this was just an anomaly of the broadcast in my area.

I am a fan, but you are right the lead vocal was mud

Love the band, and the show was even better than last week's Wilco outing. Pity for those who didn't enjoy it!

at this point i tend to agree...

i realize personal preference and all, but man... their live shows are some of the best i've ever seen (granted i've seen a crapload now and am a bit biased, but still ;))

i feel like John Stewart's comments on Bruce apply: "Do you like... are you a fan of joy?"

at least i'd hope most everyone would admit Wake Up is a stunning song, even if you don't like their records.

Nope, I just don't get the fascination. They do absolutely nothing for me. I'm only here because I couldn't believe how bad the mix was on ACL.

well, like i said, i guess i feel a bit bad for people who don't "get it", that's all. i don't mean that in a condescending way or anything, just that i wish you/everyone could share in the joy that is their amazing live show ;). like i said, of the 1000+ concerts i've seen, they are easily a top 10 live band for me, no question.

and the mix sounds great on the HD rip i downloaded (the audio level is low, but that's it)

oh man, did anybody record it that i could do a b&p with?

someone on arcadefire.net captured an HD rip.

this is a downsized copy of that:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZV5RXQHP

hoping to get a full size/quality HD DVD of it eventually

well, like i said, i guess i feel a bit bad for people who don't "get it", that's all. i don't mean that in a condescending way or anything, just that i wish you/everyone could share in the joy that is their amazing live show ;).

Don't feel bad for me. There's a lot of great music in the world from which I derive genuine joy. I'm not the least bit sad that I don't "get" this band ... should I feel bad for all of you who think they're amazing, when I happen to find them dreadfully boring? I don't ... I'm glad y'all enjoy them so much.

Sorry, I really shouldn't even be posting in this thread. Carry on.

12-22 Lucinda Williams/Old Crow Medicine Show

01-19 Roky Erickson/Kings of Leon

!!!!!!!!

:dancing

Don't feel bad for me. There's a lot of great music in the world from which I derive genuine joy. I'm not the least bit sad that I don't "get" this band ... should I feel bad for all of you who think they're amazing, when I happen to find them dreadfully boring? I don't ... I'm glad y'all enjoy them so much.

Sorry, I really shouldn't even be posting in this thread. Carry on.

way to be an ass about it... i never said you should be sad. but if you have something in your life, no matter if it's music, food, art, etc. that brings you great joy, don't you kinda wish everyone else could experience that same joy?

but you answered your own question anyway, and i'd have to agree

guess i am a bit curious why they are so "boring" to you, but another time/thread. i will say though, if you're still one of those people who think they're all hype, i'd have to laugh at that. even if you don't like them, it's quite obvious by now that they have transcended any and all overhype.

way to be an ass about it...

but you answered your own question anyway, and i'd have to agree

guess i am a bit curious why they are so "boring" to you, but another time/thread. i will say though, if you're still one of those people who think they're all hype, i'd have to laugh at that. even if you don't like them, it's quite obvious by now that they have transcended any and all overhype.

I was really trying NOT to be an ass about it, but I guess I failed. I have to say, even with your disclaimer, that your "feeling bad" for me because I don't "get" this band is condescending beyond belief. But I'm the ass?

And I am not someone who doesn't like them because of the hype. I have copies of both Funeral and Neon Bible, because a lot of people whose opinions I respect (you're among them) have expressed sincere admiration for this band, so I've tried really hard to see what all the fuss is about. After numerous listens, though, they still just don't do a thing for me. Their songwriting style is just ponderous to me, I don't like the vocals, and too much of their stuff is same-y to me.

There are a lot of things that can get me excited about a band, and these guys don't hit me on any of those levels. I've watched them perform live on TV, and their live performances haven't altered my opinion. I tuned into the ACL show because I was giving them YET ANOTHER chance. But after the way I get jumped on for dissenting about them, I guess there's no point in me giving them any more chances ... I've already bent over backwards in that regard, and this is what I get for it.

I was really trying NOT to be an ass about it, but I guess I failed. I have to say, even with your disclaimer, that your "feeling bad" for me because I don't "get" this band is condescending beyond belief. But I'm the ass?

i specifically said it wasn't meant in a condescending way, and noted that it wasn't directed at just you personally, but ANYONE, what more do you want? if after all that you still took it that way, it sounds like you're the one misinterpreting it how you want, so that's not my problem...

And I am not someone who doesn't like them because of the hype. I have copies of both Funeral and Neon Bible, because a lot of people whose opinions I respect (you're among them) have expressed sincere admiration for this band, so I've tried really hard to see what all the fuss is about. After numerous listens, though, they still just don't do a thing for me. Their songwriting style is just ponderous to me, I don't like the vocals, and too much of their stuff is same-y to me.

wow... i guess i respect your opinion, but "same-y" would not even come into my vocabulary when describing AF, even if i disliked them. vocals, fair enough, that's a sticking point for some people (even my wife didn't like Regine on the first record, but now that she sings in key :lol she loves them a lot)

There are a lot of things that can get me excited about a band, and these guys don't hit me on any of those levels. I've watched them perform live on TV, and their live performances haven't altered my opinion. I tuned into the ACL show because I was giving them YET ANOTHER chance. But after the way I get jumped on for dissenting about them, I guess there's no point in me giving them any more chances ... I've already bent over backwards in that regard, and this is what I get for it.

"this is what i get for it"

well if you'd try and not be so hostile about it (it's just fucking music, christ, you act like i fucked your sister or something), that'd be a start. it's one thing to engage in conversation, even with a dissenting opinion, but all of your posts so far in this thread have come off as super defensive and hostile, almost like you DO in fact feel some sort of inferiority complex for "not getting it" (again, just my perception in regards to your attitude here, not saying it's true whatsoever).

at no point in this thread was i trying to press your buttons at all, just engaging in a simple conversation, so maybe don't take such a defensive stance in the future.

i specifically said it wasn't meant in a condescending way, what more do you want? if after all that you still took it that way, it sounds like you're the one misinterpreting it how you want, so that's not my problem...

Yeah, I'm sure I am misinterpreting. I just read that post again and it didn't get my hackles up the second time like it did the first. One of the unfortunate aspects of Teh Internets. :hmm

To be fair, though, I think you misinterpreted this post too. I was sincere when I said that I'm glad you all enjoy them so much (and honestly, I was trying hard not to be an ass about it). I respect the band for inspiring such devotion, even if I don't share it.