Rock Star guitars

Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Lenny" Guitar Coming December 12

by Staff.

Fender Custom Shop Tribute Series Lenny Guitar

Fender Custom Shop Tribute Series Lenny Guitar

On December 12, 2007, 185 limited-edition "Lenny" Stratocasters will be available in the United States from the Guitar Center chain at a price of $17,000 USD each (an additional 50 will also be available for purchase outside the U.S.). The instruments are from the Fender Custom Shop, the result of a commission from Guitar Center, who purchased the original Lenny for $623,500 at the 2004 Christie

I wonder how long it will be before we see a wolf or tiger copy.

I am curious to the record for the most paid for a guitar now - it use to be a Hendrix strat -

according to some googling -

In fact, Gruhn suspects that Clapton's "Blackie" guitar
I wonder how long it will be before we see a wolf or tiger copy.

I am curious to the record for the most paid for a guitar now - it use to be a Hendrix strat -

according to some googling -

I would think the Jerry guitars went for six figures also.

They don't have exact copies but Alembic makes some pretty close looking guitars. They ain't cheap..........

If memory serves there was a big stink about Jerry's axes a few years back. A couple of them were to be auctioned but the surviving members raised a stink stating they (the guitars) belonged to Grateful Dead Productions and were their property. Apparently Jerry gave several of them back to the luthier that made them (Doug Irwin) in his will and Irwin suffered a severe accident and needed the $$$$ for medical expenses or something like that. I forget how it all ended, I think Irwin was allowed to keep one and if memory serves another one (maybe "Rosebud" or "Tiger") is now in the R+R hall of fame in a display area open to folks even if they don't pay for admission. Don't qoute me on this though......

The Travis! Aluminum neck and all..........

If memory serves I belive Jerry broke out the Wolf once or twice back in the 90's. I seem to remember seeing pictures of that somewhere. I love the sound of the guitar as well. Big fan of the Gibson SG he used back in late 60's too. Think Live / Dead era stuff.

If any of you has the Fillmore box set that's what he was using back then.

I make a point out of listening to that 2-28-69 show at least 2-3 times a month

I read about the Lenny Strat in this months Guitar World but for some reason I just can't bring myself to buy a replica or even an artist signature model. They are just a too expensive and just generally don't have the features I care for. I have played an Eric Johnson sig Strat and it was very nice but once again, not nice enough to warrant the price. It plays comparable to an American made strat that you can get for a couple of hundred less.

And can somebody please explain to me how in the fuck can the dip shit from Blink 182 and Angels and Airwaves get his own signature Gibson ES335? There aren't too many artists to get their own sig Gibson model. Fender seems to be more forth giving of artist models than Gibson. B.B. King, Jimmy Page, Slash, Joe Perry, hell I can even see how B.J. Armstrong from Green Day got one but what has Tom DeLonge done to deserve his own model. I must really be missing something.

Buying a "beat-up," quirky guitar that imitates your hero's seems to be a little like buying pre-ripped jeans. Only most people won't know that your jeans were pre-ripped. Or something.

I sort of feel that way also - I think it's cool when a fan makes such a thing though. There is a site out there somewhere - that features some dude who built a replica of Neil Young's guitar.

• 2 weeks later...