Bell's coming back to Chicago

I know that this thread is only interesting to a handful of people but I thought it deserved some attention outside of "Now Drinking". When they pulled Bell's from Illinois, it just plain hurt. Looks like Larry Bell, the owner, came up with a creative solution which will ultimately lead him to get sued immediately. He's a craft beer pioneer and it's great what he's doing. The fact that he pulled out of Chicago is related to some archaic law from prohibition times that resulted in the largest distributor for Miller limiting their beer sales here.

Linky

Yay for our friends in Illinois! :cheers I hope this all works out for the best.

Bell's make some of my very favorite beers. It's almost time for Hop Slam to makes its appearance again! :thumbup

Yay for our friends in Illinois! :cheers I hope this all works out for the best.

Bell's make some of my very favorite beers. It's almost time for Hop Slam to makes its appearance again! :thumbup

I knew that you would be interested despite living in Indiana... they do make some of the best beer in the country undoubtedly.

Yeah, I felt the bat-signal calling me there. :lol

In other news, my wife and I stopped at a liquor store in nearby Anderson the other night and we could not believe that they still had Oberon in the cooler. It's been a couple of months since they quit making that one (for this year).

I really hope that this doesn't result in an overzealous douchebag distributor somehow pulling a legal move and owning a little brewery with a great potential who decided to stand up against them and break a contract.

Stranger things have happened...

• 8 months later...

Now Bell's is REALLY heading back to Chicago.

Bell's beer headed back to Chicago

By Jim Kirk | Tribune staff reporter

9:44 AM CDT, July 31, 2008

Bell's Brewery Inc. beers are headed back to the Windy City nearly two years after the company pulled its brands out of the Chicago market following a nasty dispute with a distributor.

Comstock, Mich.-based Bell's Brewery on Thursday announced new distribution agreements with Central Beverage Co., Schamberger Brothers and Skokie Valley Beverage Co. that will mark the return of Bell's brands in Chicago beginning Friday.

Bell's, makers of Oberon Ale, Bell's Amber, and Kalamazoo Stout, left the Chicago market in late 2006 after a fight with its distributor at the time, National Wine and Spirits Inc., which had sold the rights to distribute the Bell's brands to another distributor, Chicago Beverage Systems. Illinois state law basically forbids beer companies from jumping to one distributor to another without a buyout or some other agreement. Instead of paying, Bell's owner and co-founder Larry Bell decided to pull his brands out of the state even though the market accounted for more than 10 percent of his sales.

At the time, the battle drew national attention and headlines. Craft brewers like Bell have complained for years that state laws favor distributors and mass brewers while hurting small brewers' ability to grow, especially in big markets like Chicago. But few have taken as dramatic action as Bell by abruptly pulling out of a key market.

"I love Chicago and there's no big city I spend more time in,'' said Bell, a native of south suburban Park Forest. He added that he doesn't believe he will face a court battle when the brands return to area bar taps.

Executives at Chicago Beverage, which is owned by Rosemont-based beverage and foodservice giant, Reyes Holdings, could not be reached early Thursday.

Two weeks ago Larry Bell spoke to my Rotary club and I had 2 questions for him: (1) His position on citrus fruit in your glass of Oberon and (2) the status of his re-entry into the Illinois market. For the record, his response was (1) personally thinks its a sin, but to each his own and (2) no comment. Now I understand why the no comment.

:cheers to our friends in Illinois from Kalambrew MI

edit: Link to Kalamazoo Gazette Story - looks like some trucks are on their way today.

As a Kalamazoo native, former Chicago resident, and Bell's fan, I am quite pleased by this news. It's been amazing to watch a formerly tiny local brewery turn into a regional giant without turning its back on what made it great.

Happy days in Chicago! :cheers