Teacher arrested for Teddy Bear name

Puritanism touches something very deep inside me. Not a good thing, but a deep thing.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

life, be you religious or not, is full of contradictions. the contradictions in the bible and the Koran only serve to illustrate just how schizophrenic the entire state of being is. i can more confidently speak to the bible/christianity, but the point is that we, as humans, are not at all infallible and nor will we ever be. you strive to be infallible and try to live as close to the 'word of god' as you can and in the context of being the best person to yourself and others as you can. at least in my faith, god is a forgiving and understands we will never be perfect...that he's the only who is and ever will be.

i find it highly probable that both texts were written by man, without DIRECT input from some infallible supernatural other...that they interpretations inspired by a certain belief in/realtionship with God. it's why i can never fully adhere to each and every word of the bible, nor subscribe to 100% of what's told to me under my lutheran doctrine. i personally feel that one's relationship w/ god is and should be maintained as an ultimately personal relationship.

life, is not black and white...it is my opinion, that extremists don't adhere to the same philosophy. they don't try to maintain a certain set of beliefs in context and with respect of those of different beliefs...or, worse yet, impose their beliefs on others in unacceptable ways.

in all the writing of the philosophers, authors, etc. you like to quaote and base your set of beliefs from...do you never disagree or come to contradiction with anything they write? again, it fascinates me that you take such issue w/ a self-defined angry and judgemental practice when you, yourself seem to be just as angry and judgemental.

But what if the word of god is to kill?

Sure, I disagree with people I admire all the time, but that is the beauty of having a non-dogmatic, scientific or more empirical outlook on life.

Most religions do not take too kindly to change, and those changes often come or came with much bloodshed. Whereas, toppling one scientific hypothesis in favor of another very rarely, if ever, brings with it calls for war and/or the spilling of blood.

I appreciate the way in which you have chosen to express your religion, sincerely, my issue is not with thoughtful believers such as yourself, but with those who would strap a person down and whip them forty times for the ridiculous

your lack of belief in a god is still a belief...one you continue to try and impose at every opportunity here.

Ah. That's an interesting point. Is atheism a religion, or equivalent to? I'm not sure. THDW is not so much pushing atheism, which is a difficult thing to evangelize, as he is stating that he will accept no aspect or product of religion being forced, or even nudged upon him. I also think he thinks people who adhere to a religion are at least a potential danger to his freedom, something which I partially agree with. (See: My fear of Muslims, Puritans and Moonies.) Considering that so much of our ethics and practices stem from religion, for both good and bad, his is a tough stance to take. The religious freedom and tolerance we have today is not at all typical of human history, and things may well get worse.

THDW is not so much pushing atheism, which is a difficult thing to evangelize, as he is stating that he will accept no aspect or product of religion being forced, or even nudged upon him.

How is ridiculing religion as fairy tales and fantasy anything but proselytizing atheism?

For me, accepting that the universe was created from nothing is a much greater leap of faith than believing that some entity created it. Now whether or not you believe that said entity will intercede on your behalf when it comes to important matters such as war and football games, that's another matter entirely.

Well, at least he's not going door to door asking people about their relationships with the uncaring, nonsentient, nonpersonal soulless void. (Is he?)

Well, at least he's not going door to door asking people about their relationships with the uncaring, nonsentient, nonpersonal soulless void. (Is he?)

Not that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mitigate his personal intolerance of people with beliefs different than his.

I think he's within his rights to say God is bullshit and he wants no part of it as people are within their rights to say God is not bullshit and should guide everyone's conduct. His tone could probably be less confrontational, sure, but he would seem to feel strongly that the bad byproducts of religion are worth throwing the whole thing out, and a vigorous debate gets the blood going and sharpens everyone's intellect. (Hopefully.) He and Christopher Hitchens, a thinker I admire but disagree with on religion, should go out and have a beer together.

And there you have it.

Yep.

I think he's within his rights to say God is bullshit and he wants no part of it as people are within their rights to say God is not bullshit and should guide everyone's conduct.

Absolutely. That said, the reason I constantly find myself challenging him is that on one side of his mouth he bad raps people who look down on/exclude/dimiss/etc. others because they don't believe in God...then, on the other, his literally called anybody who does an idiot.

The is a HUGE difference between stating your belief or non-belief and telling someone else theirs is wrong. While I still feel it's his RIGHT to do so, like caliber said...i'll call him out for being a dick about it, respectfully. :monkey

no, he's just trying to denounce/debunk/demoralize it at every opportunity on a message board...much bigger audience, so you tell me which is worse.

I don't like to be visited at home much, so I'll take the Internet.

Infidel!

Yeah, but Muslims still scare the shit out of me. I'm sorry, but that's the way I honestly feel. When Muslims around the world rise up and root out their own loonies, I will feel much better about them. When the vast majority of Muslims accept the principle of the separation of church and state, I will feel much more secure. Until then, it's knives out.

So Muslims are scary but evangelical Christians aren't? I also find it very difficult to believe that the "vast majority" of Muslims are crazy fanatics, any more than the vast majority of Christians.

Personally, I'm way more scared by the people in our own country - in our own government, no less - who don't believe in the separation of church and state, who want to force their morality and religion on me whether I want it or not, who don't care about what happens to the rest of the world because the Rapture is coming and they're all going to get taken up to heaven, leaving the rest of us heathens to fend for ourselves. Just because they're (ostensibly) members of a religion that advocates peace doesn't make them any less frightening to me.

Fanatics are scary no matter WHAT religion they belong to - or even if they don't belong to any religion at all. (Stalin and Mao, anyone?)

Absolutely. That said, the reason I constantly find myself challenging him is that on one side of his mouth he bad raps people who look down on/exclude/dimiss/etc. others because they don't believe in God...then, on the other, his literally called anybody who does an idiot.

The is a HUGE difference between stating your belief or non-belief and telling someone else theirs is wrong. While I still feel it's his RIGHT to do so, like caliber said...i'll call him out for being a dick about it, respectfully. :monkey

no, he's just trying to denounce/debunk/demoralize it at every opportunity on a message board...much bigger audience, so you tell me which is worse.

No