British Sea Power

There was some discussion of this in the Magnetic Fields topic, but I didn't want to completely hijack that so I decided to make a new one. Anyway, BSP's latest disc, Do You Like Rock Music?, leaked yesterday. When they announced it a couple months back, I laughed at the over-the-top title, although that's pretty par-for-the-course given BSP's theatrics and antics, but upon listening to this for the first time last nite, I can't remember a more appropriately titled CD in the last decade. This is turn-the-volume-to-11, put-on-a-helmet ROCK, especially the first half of the CD. So much so, actually, that if track 8 "The Great Skua" didn't reign in and calm down, I'm pretty sure my head would explode.

I'm not a gigantic fan of the band, unlike some people on ateaseweb.com/mb which I frequent (some of the guys over there act as if BSP is the greatest musical act of all time), but something about them does really strike a chord with me. Maybe it's my British ancestry that allows me to connect with a band that is so blatantly, erm, British. The first album had major post-punk threads woven thru-out; their second one was pretty much a Smiths record; this...I dunno. In places this reminds me of early Oasis, but I can't peg why, because they definitely don't sound similar. And I think that BSP is more tapped-in and has a much broader emotional range and connection than Oasis does, but...maybe this is what Oasis should've sounded like. Maybe this is what they were going for. This is indie rock anthems mutated for stadiums and festivals (one listen to "Waving Flags" will convince you of this, it's the closest anyone's come to duplicating the brilliance of Arcade Fire's "Wake Up".) The only thing about this record that's disappointed me so far is the lyrical eccentricities seemed to be missing. Or maybe they're just better incorporated into the songs, I dunno. I've only listened to this a few times so far.

Anyway, this still doesn't officially come out for a month, but I'm pretty sure that this time next year when I'm compiling my best of '08 list, this album will be very high on it. Do You Like Rock Music?

Yes, I do.

Any other fans?

hmm... a lot of people/articles keep bringing up the Arcade Fire when talking about this album and I guess i don't hear it that much myself. for one they have rock guitar, AF rarely have. maybe in the bombastic and epic-ness of some of the songs i suppose.

Down on the Ground -> A Trip Out is just a sick sick combo

that riff for A Trip Out kills me. it's nothing original at all, but man. reminds me of old Replacements a bit.

there's maybe 2-3 songs total on here that i don't totally adore, and even those aren't bad songs. this album is a great combination of the heavier and more frantic energy of the first combined with the more lush melodies of Open Season (which i was definitely still let down by, but it's grown on me over the last 2 years).

but yeah, while it's merely a shot in the dark prediction, if there's 20 better albums than this that come out in 2008, holy shit we're in for a ride :o

"Lights Out For Darker Skies" is just...wow. Listening to it again right now. The last half, after that break that sounds like Led Zeppelin's "Rain Song," just keeps building and building until it's almost too much.

And yeah, it's only at the start of "Waving Flags" that I'm getting an Arcade Fire vibe. Others are going on about it being "bargain bin AF", and I'm really not sure where they're getting that from. But the start of Waving Flags, with them all singing like that...it really jumped up on me the first few times I listened to it.

It's an awesome album. The first five tracks are just complete killers - epic riffs with great lyrics.

It's as if they've finally realised how good they can be - mixing the best parts of the last two albums into one perfect slice of rock. Marvellous.

I echo Kyle's statement, if there's albums better than this next year it's going to be a fantastic year.

anyone else notice that the ambient organ melody during We Close Our Eyes (which is sort of a weird reprise of All In It) is basically the same as the Office theme song? :lol

someone mentioned this on another msg board, and now the song's been pretty much ruined for me...i was listening to it on the bus yesterday and almost started laughing out loud when the organ kicked in.

anyone else notice that the ambient organ melody during We Close Our Eyes (which is sort of a weird reprise of All In It) is basically the same as the Office theme song? :lol

I'm ignoring that... :)

Got sent through an official release of it yesterday and it's got a very nice booklet with it full of cool photos and artwork.

• 4 weeks later...

OMFG.

this is their first time coming to Minnesota in like 3-4 tours and 5 years... holy fucking shit...

Mon 02/25/08 San Diego, CA The Casbah

Wed 02/27/08 Los Angeles, CA Echo

Thu 02/28/08 Los Angeles, CA Spaceland

Fri 02/29/08 Visalia, CA Cellar Door

Sat 03/01/08 San Francisco, CA Bottom Of The Hill

Mon 03/03/08 Portland, OR Doug Fir Lounge

Tue 03/04/08 Seattle, WA Neumo's

Wed 03/05/08 Vancouver, BC The Plaza Club

Sat 03/08/08 Denver, CO Hi-Dive

Wed 03/19/08 Omaha, NE The Waiting Room

Thu 03/20/08 Des Moines, IA Vaudeville Mews

Fri 03/21/08 Minneapolis, MN Triple Rock Social Club

Sat 03/22/08 Urbana, IL Canopy Club

Mon 03/24/08 Chicago, IL Empty Bottle

Tue 03/25/08 Pontiac, MI Eagle Theatre

Wed 03/26/08 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop

Thu 03/27/08 Columbus, OH The Basement

Fri 03/28/08 Louisville, KY Phoenix Hill Tavern

Sat 03/29/08 Saint Louis, MO The Billiken Club

i may do Omaha & Des Moines too

ouch...

i'm curious, were you a fan of their previous records?

as for the Arcade Fire thing... it's unfortunate that Howard worked with them on the album, because without that people wouldn't be making the AF comparisons (there's only ONE song on the entire album that even reminds me of AF, BSP rock way harder than AF ever have for one)