If nothing else, playing against the computer, while often humiliating, is a good way to learn those fake words like QI and ZA.
Dude! I use Qi all of the time! Just gotta know the list of two-letter words. (I don't know the list or anything...but Qi is stuck in my head.)

I've used both QI and ZA on regular occasions. At least once, I've played a Q on two I's at the same time.

I don't use a word list; I just randomly throw tiles on the board and see what gets accepted. That's probably what accounts for my amazing Scrabulous record.

You have to use whatever the computer's dictionary will accept, and that's all there is to it. That's the nice thing about Scrabulous. It only takes words that are in its dictionary, so you don't have to worry about QUONE or KWYJIBO.

When we play at home, we use some cheap, 99 cent, ten year-old dictionaries as our go-tos for challenges. I've had the Official Scrabble dictionary on my Christmas and Birthday lists for years now. I always liked Scrabble but my interest picked up when I learned about the pro circuit. Those people are interesting, such dedicated players and a little wacky too.

When we play at home, we use some cheap, 99 cent, ten year-old dictionaries as our go-tos for challenges. I've had the Official Scrabble dictionary on my Christmas and Birthday lists for years now. I always liked Scrabble but my interest picked up when I learned about the pro circuit. Those people are interesting, such dedicated players and a little wacky too.

My MIL could be a pro Scrabble player. She's frightening, and not much fun to play. Not so much because of the ass-kickings, but because she's a terrible winner. She gets a hearty laugh anytime an opponent has to exchange tiles. The urge to wallop her with an unabridged Oxford is strong at times.

I bought that for someone who is the Megan von Richthofen to my Snoopy at Scrabble.

What the fuck is ZA? I've seen that one twice now.

pizza-page.jpg

Also, and I am sure I am just overlooking something (since I've only tried at work), but I have no idea how to get a game to start in the solitaire version. When I click "Login," it pops up a new window to the regular Scrabulous login page, and then I can't find a link back to solitaire. Of course, if I just close the new window, the already-open solitaire page does not recognize that I am logged in. Can someone give me a hint?

Lost for words: Facebook may lose Scrabulous

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Popular social networking site Facebook has been asked to remove the Scrabulous game from its Web site by the makers of Scrabble, agencies have reported.

Facebook's Scrabulous application may have to go after the makers of Scrabble complained.

Hasbro and Mattel jointly wrote to the site's U.S. headquarters, calling for the game to be pulled, citing copyright issues, the UK's Press Association has said.

Mattel released a statement saying: "Letters have been sent to Facebook in the U.S. regarding the Scrabulous application.

"Mattel values its intellectual property and actively protects its brands and trademarks.

"As Mattel owns the rights to the Scrabble trademark outside the U.S. and Canada we are currently reviewing our position regarding other countries."

Hasbro owns the rights to the game in the U.S. and Canada.

According to Mattel's UK office, the online version of the popular board game was created by a third-party organization based in India.

Facebook surpassed MySpace and Bebo as the UK's most popular social networking site just last year with more than half a million daily users.

The official Scrabble Web site says that more than 100 million sets of the game have been sold in 29 different languages in 121 countries worldwide since its launch in 1948.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/01/16/faceboo...lous/index.html

:ohwell

• 6 months later...
(and one where I was getting my ass handed to me by a very gifted Scrabulous player, MJ)

yeah, he's quite good, that MJ. i almost beat him, but got trounced in the end. sadly those days are now gone. :(

--

PS: glad you were able to sorta get a match in against each other. thought the two of you would be well-matched/have a fun match at any rate.