• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always find it amusing that religious types are quick to call something out of the mainstream a cult and bizarre. Yea, and believing that you're eating a 2,000 year old dead guys flesh and drinking his blood isnt bizarre either.

untitled.jpg

I always find it amusing that religious types are quick to call something out of the mainstream a cult and bizarre. Yea, and believing that you're eating a 2,000 year old dead guys flesh and drinking his blood isnt bizarre either.

just so you know, they (we) don't really believe that.

I've just never understood how that many people can get brainwashed like that. Believe me, people and religous groups have tried to brainwash me before, and good old common sense always kicks in just in time.. I guess a lot of people just don't have common sense anymore?

Part of the problem is that $cientology actually has some good components to it: take multi-vitamins and drink a lot of water because it's good for you; detoxify your body of toxins (a little weird, but I see the benefits); they run the Narcanon, Alanon and Criminon programs to help people with drug and alcohol problems, as well as help criminals turn their lives around. One could very well argue that going from those situations into $ci is a frying pan to fire scenario, but they are trying to help. People are also seduced by the whole 'tapping the power of your mind' aspect. It's always comforting to feel that the power to change yourself is buried deep inside you and these nice people will help you acheive your full potential. (Remember the movie 'Phenomenon?' 100% $cientology propaganda.)

What could possibly be wrong with all of this? Well, when you do get to the top of the ladder you will then be told that the origin of all this is that 75 billion years ago (the earth is only about 2 or 3 billion years old, but whatever) the evil alien Xenu came to earth and enslaved all the inhabitants of the planet. He then tied them up around a volcano (now we know why there's a volcano on the Dianetics cover) and blew it up with a hydrogen bomb. The souls, called Thetans, of these victims have clung here to earth all this time and are the source of all our problems.

:mellow

You'd have to take quite a while of being softened up by the auditing and classes and such to buy this story, which coincidentally was "stumbled upon" by someone who wrote really bad sci-fi stories for a living before starting his own religion.

Well, when you do get to the top of the ladder you will then be told that the origin of all this is that 75 billion years ago (the earth is only about 2 or 3 billion years old, but whatever) the evil alien Xenu came to earth and enslaved all the inhabitants of the planet. He then tied them up around a volcano (now we know why there's a volcano on the Dianetics cover) and blew it up with a hydrogen bomb. The souls, called Thetans, of these victims have clung here to earth all this time and are the source of all our problems.

And how is any of this different from any other religion?
What could possibly be wrong with all of this? Well, when you do get to the top of the ladder you will then be told that the origin of all this is that 75 billion years ago (the earth is only about 2 or 3 billion years old, but whatever) the evil alien Xenu came to earth and enslaved all the inhabitants of the planet. He then tied them up around a volcano (now we know why there's a volcano on the Dianetics cover) and blew it up with a hydrogen bomb. The souls, called Thetans, of these victims have clung here to earth all this time and are the source of all our problems.

:mellow

You'd have to take quite a while of being softened up by the auditing and classes and such to buy this story, which coincidentally was "stumbled upon" by someone who wrote really bad sci-fi stories for a living before starting his own religion.

This is just probably someone making something up to deter people from the religion. Completely BS.

This is just probably someone making something up to deter people from the religion. Completely BS.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just guessing?

Well, not to take the side of the Scientologists on this one, but I think the Inquisition was probably fairly intimidating.

I think it would be fair to question to the sanity of catholicism during the inquisition, but that's over so far as I know.

Scientology comes off weird but what bad has it done? It seems to be in line with any other religion promoting goodness and well being.

That video is pretty bad though, probably can only be understood by a long time scientologist.

In researching $ci since my wife's cousin joined (yeah, I know, I sound like Cruise - "do the research") I've found that not only have people died in their facility in Clearwater, FL due to lack of medical attention (they try to treat nearly everything with vitamins), but the contract you sign when you go there for classes and training pretty much absolves them of any responsibility. If you are there and decide you don't want to do it anymore, or voice concerns about the goings on around you, they can essentially hold you in solitary confinement until you see the error of your ways. Public humiliation is also a tactic to get people to be essentially shamed into sticking around.

Why try so hard to keep people around? Because each member is worth about $200,000 in fees to the church. Is good done in the name of scamming their money actually good? Sure, churches and televangelists accept donations, but that isn't (in all but the most extreme cases) extortion or fraud.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just guessing?

That story is so stupid, it cant be true. I may believe some misguided person may have said something like that but in no way is that what is being taught in the religion. Every religion has its way out there fanatics, you shouldnt confuse that as the religion.

The teachings comes from a sci-fi writer so a fanactic probably got all messed up and said something like this is what I figure.

In researching $ci since my wife's cousin joined (yeah, I know, I sound like Cruise - "do the research") I've found that not only have people died in their facility in Clearwater, FL due to lack of medical attention (they try to treat nearly everything with vitamins), but the contract you sign when you go there for classes and training pretty much absolves them of any responsibility. If you are there and decide you don't want to do it anymore, or voice concerns about the goings on around you, they can essentially hold you in solitary confinement until you see the error of your ways. Public humiliation is also a tactic to get people to be essentially shamed into sticking around.

Why try so hard to keep people around? Because each member is worth about $200,000 in fees to the church. Is good done in the name of scamming their money actually good? Sure, churches and televangelists accept donations, but that isn't (in all but the most extreme cases) extortion or fraud.

Sounds like a cult. I think the principles are good, but people turned it into a cult. I just wonder if there are any uncultlike followings in scientology.

This is the other way that people get into it. They hear about all the crazy shit that $ci believes in, but figure that couldn't possibly be true. It's also probably why so many end up leaving. They get to the higher levels and find out all that crazy shit was actually part of the religion after all.

Here's a link to Operation Clambake, a site devoted to debunking Scientology. Take it with whatever sized grain of salt you wish.

That story is so stupid, it cant be true. I may believe some misguided person may have said something like that but in no way is that what is being taught in the religion. Every religion has its way out there fanatics, you shouldnt confuse that as the religion.

bearth.jpg

agreed. NOTHING better than listening to Christians or people who have Christians in their family bag on Scientology. HAHAHHAAHAHAHA

Go take another communion and eat the flesh of the savior and drinkith his blood. then fucketh off.

Wow...

I was gonna ask some metaphoric and literal questions, then I saw who the poster was...nuff sed

Zen, you might want to read the Time Magazine expose from 1991:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,972865,00.html

Why wouldn't you believe this? the whole "religion" was started by a science fiction writer in order to avoid paying taxes.

One of my favorite parts is, "We are the authority on improving conditions." Awesome.

Katie Holmes was on TV the other day. She's easily as stupid as he is. Easily.

I have to say, though, Suri is pretty damn cute...so kudos to Tom and Katie!

Logorrhoea or logorrhea (Greek λογορροια, logorrhoia, "word-flux") is defined as an "excessive flow of words" and, when used medically, refers to incoherent talkativeness that occurs in certain kinds of mental illness, such as mania.

I guess the vitamins aren't very effective after all.