Random Wilco Thought. . . .

A little while back (Summer '05 I believe), I was at a birthday party for a good college friend of mine in NYC. He and I share a strong appreciation of music. We had a radio show we did together in college and in the 13 years (yikes!) we've been out of school we do a disc swap every Spring and Fall to stay current with what each of us is listening to. Anyway, I'm at this party and his younger brother (who is also fairly into music) comes over to me and starts talking about different bands. The subject comes to Wilco and he fires the priceless comment to me that "people who say they like Wilco and Radiohead do so to make it seem like they know more about music than others." Considering that I had just told him that Wilco was one of my favorite bands, I thought this was an interesting comment on a number of levels. Definitely a random thought/posting, but I figured this would be a good place to share it.

I've heard that comment about Radiohead, not Wilco though. Why do people think there is any other motive behind liking a certain band, besides just liking their music? I mean honestly, it's only music. By the way, I love Wilco and Radiohead, probably my two favorite current bands. I doubt I know more about music than half of you.

I've never thought of this being an issue for Wilco/Radiohead.. Or even someone wanting to look like they know more about music by liking a certain band.. However, I have seen people trying to be trendy or look cool by liking certain bands. I went to highschool with the "Goth" crowd and it was cool to like Marilyn Manson because it showed how "goth" you were.. Or it was cool to like Phish because it showed how much of a hippy/stoner you were.... But I think when you grow out of that age, you start liking bands because their music sounds good to you..

I've never thought of this being an issue for Wilco/Radiohead.. Or even someone wanting to look like they know more about music by liking a certain band.. However, I have seen people trying to be trendy or look cool by liking certain bands. I went to highschool with the "Goth" crowd and it was cool to like Marilyn Manson because it showed how "goth" you were.. Or it was cool to like Phish because it showed how much of a hippy/stoner you were.... But I think when you grow out of that age, you start liking bands because their music sounds good to you..

Well said. I like music now I thought I would never like in high school, and bands I loved back then I really cannot stand now. I think Wilco and Radiohead need some patience and maturity to really appreciate.

that's just rude.

I'm not trying to insult real phish fans.. I am a real phish fan and I think they are phenomenal musicians.. I'm talking about the people who wear their shirts and go to their concerts so they can live the hippy/stoner life, and could really care less about their music.. But like UncleSmog said, it takes patience and maturity to really apreciate Wilco and other bands like Phish.

that's just rudetrue.

Fixed it. ;)

While the guy the OP was talking to at the party needs to learn how not to make generalizations, there's a kernel of truth to what he said. There are definitely people who listen to music because of what they think it will make other people think of them, and these days listening to Wilco and Radiohead is pretty hip.

Since when did you have to like Phish to smoke weed? If that's the case, I've been getting away with it since 1989!

Since when did you have to like Phish to smoke weed? If that's the case, I've been getting away with it since 1989!

I don't know. But it does seem like Phish music is tailor-made for the smoking of the weed. Just an observation.

Is it not true that the whole "indie" genre is full of folks that think it's cool to listen to bands that hardly anyone has ever heard of? Once the bands reach some level of mainstream success they oftentimes get dropped like a hot potato by the indie crowd (or so it seems).

Is it not true that the whole "indie" genre is full of folks that think it's cool to listen to bands that hardly anyone has ever heard of? Once the bands reach some level of mainstream success they oftentimes get dropped like a hot potato by the indie crowd (or so it seems).

I know people like that. I like alot of "indie bands", but I am also not ashamed to express my love for Van Halen, Motley Crue, E.L.O., and many more. If I like it, I will listen to it, regardless of it's street cred or "indie-ness".

yes, that is true. matter of fact, my roommate had his girlfriend go into the local record store to re-buy all of the Shins vinyl for him. now, he loves the Shins, but he's friends with all of the people at the record store and doesn't want them to know he still likes The Shins. i told him he was a fucking toolbag/hipster douche.

-justin

I don't know. But it does seem like Phish music is tailor-made for the smoking of the weed. Just an observation.

Did I ever tell you the story about how when I was the editor of the SUNY New Paltz Oracle, we got a homemade press kit from Burlington, Vt., containing a homemade tape by that band? And how we listened to it for like 10 minutes before we decided they weren't any good and threw it out? And how I wish I had not done that because I'm sure someone would pay me at least a buck-three-fifty for it today?

To be honest, jam bands and the jamming they do, I need the hallucinogens to really get into. Once I stopped taking those kinds of things, a lot of bands didn't sound that good. I am currently exempting the GD from that category - Haynes is right; there's a lot more going on with the GD than most other jam bands, it would seem. Certainly a deeper knowledge of music, though I respect Phish for being able to play like the whole White Album from start to finish.

As for the other, there's a game punk rock people like to play (if I may harken back to a time when anyone who didn't like Journey was labeled a "punk rocker") where each would try to outdo the other by liking the most obscure bands imaginable. I imagine that game is still being played today among college kids and twentysomethings. It's not until you get a little older until you realize that you like the music you like, and your liking it is what makes it valid, not what your friends think.

I have two stories:

One: One of my good friends, with whom I go back and forth with on new bands, was forced to listen to some wilco with me. He said that he liked but could not realy like because, "I feel that people either love Wilco or hate it. No in the middle." I said that was crazy, but to no avail.

Two: I had a friend, she would troll around Myspace looking for new bands. then tell others about her new favorite band. So myself and others would go check out these new bands. If anyone said something to her about a band that she had recommended she would instantly not like them anymore.

I like Phish even when not under the influence. I even got to go to two of their shows before they disbanded, and that was before I had even, 'experimented'.

Phish - Junta.. Damn what a great album.. When I listen to it, it reminds me of driving through the Blue Ridge Mountains on the way to a weekend of backpacking/camping.. Yes, it was a very hippy thing to do, but I'm not afraid to admit my hippyish tendencies.... Good times.. Good times..

I've actually never smoked pot, but I do enjoy Phish, particularly Billy Breathes which I listened to exclusively the summer in between my freshman and sophomore year of high school. Good disc, and I do enjoy their cover of the White Album.

I don't get the relation that either of these bands hold. Tweedy is an amazing writer who can write in a variety of tones and styles. Thom Yorke on the other hand tries too hard to be some fatalistic tortured asshole. I think YHF bears no similarities to the most digital of Radiohead's work. Personally, Wilco comes off as honest even at it's most abstract, where Radiohead is just some esoteric attempt at angst. Thom Yorke can be funny, even though he was probably not trying to....

edit: also, being a guy of pretty short stature, I do appreciate what Thom Yorke has done for us short, semi infantile people.

while i appreciate the fact that you're a Dylan fan, i have to respectfully disagree. Radiohead's music has nothing to do with "angst," unless you're talking about Pablo Honey/"Creep," which isn't indicative of any of their later work and which i hate personally. to me, angst is the same as being extremely paranoid about the way the modern world is/globalization/pigs in a cage of antibiotics/being stuck in traffic and feeling like you should be somewhere else (i've made some good RH references here)/what have you. matter of fact, the new album (in my opinion, their best) isn't even really about any of that. seems to me to be more about the human condition. even if you were to disagree with Thom's style of writing or subject matter, it would be hard to argue, that musically they haven't pushed the envelope in every way. i guess i think of angst as more in the pimply, teenage vein. :-)

eta: is Yorke short? is you can see by my signature picture, i'm 5' 7", right at Jeff Tweedy's height. also James Madison, Tom Cruise, etc.

-justin

he's 5'5''. if you see some videos of him on bigger stages you get a good feel when he's holding a guitar how small he is. But he doesn't compare, I'm 5'3'' so even then he's even more on the side of normal. and don't get me wrong, as much as I try to hate Radiohead for Thom's writing, they are a damn good, inventive, innovative group of guys and I like their music despite his drawl.