Finally a release date ...

Johansson Sets Date For Waits Covers Disc

January 24, 2008, 2:45 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

One of the more unusual albums to be conceived in recent years, actress Scarlett Johansson's interpretations of Tom Waits songs, will hit stores this spring.

"Anywhere I Lay My Head" will be released May 20 via Rhino Entertainment's Atco imprint. Johansson collaborated on the album with Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zinner, Celebration's Sean Antanaitis and TV On The Radio's Dave Sitek, who produced.

The track list sports 10 Waits covers and one original track, but full details have yet to be announced.

Johansson recorded the album over five weeks last spring at Dockside Studios in Maurice, La. Her prior music dalliances include singing the track "Summertime" for "Unexpected Dreams," a 2006 charity album featuring film stars, and a surprise appearance with the Jesus & Mary Chain at last year's Coachella festival.

Johansson recorded the album over five weeks last spring

Five weeks?!!?

It's not like she was writing the songs or anything. She needed five weeks to lay down vocal tracks?

edit: I'm guessing it was a few sessions spread out over five weeks. But my initial reaction was, WTF??!!?

It's not like she was writing the songs or anything. She needed five weeks to lay down vocal tracks?

No kidding. Give me one night, a couple bottles of whiskey, and seven packs of cigarettes and I'll give you my Tom Waits impersonation.

Guest Golyadkin
tom has already said he's quite excited to hear it

Well I should run out and buy it.

I don't give care what Tom says, I am sure it will suck.

Of course Tom maybe excited to hear it, I am sure it will be amusing for him to hear his songs

sung shitty.

Guest Golyadkin
boy you're just a bundle of Joy aren't you, i bet you're the life of the party :rolleyes

Are you trying to defend this album?

How was Paris Hilton's album?

Should I get that one?

Or the countless other actors that put out albums?

Are those awesome?

Should I get that one?

Are those awesome?

no, i'm saying i tend to listen to something before making a judgement, call me crazy. sure it could suck, who the hell knows. Scarlett sang onstage with The Jesus & Mary Chain at the Wiltern and Coachella last year...

also, see the She & Him thread if you think all actors albums suck

Should I get that one?

Are those awesome?

You've obviously never heard Ronee Blakley's first two albums, or Robert Mitchum's 'Calypso Is Like So', and you're ignoring the fact that Tom Waits himself has done a fair bit of acting. Get with the programme or turn off the tv!

Should I get that one?

Are those awesome?

Two words: William Shatner.

Guest Golyadkin
what grade are you in little fella?

Are you kidding me?

What is with you? You read somewhere that this is going to be good and you are looking forward to it.

Think about it for a minute... without outside influence. This album will suck, no matter what you read in any media outlet.