Somebody give me something new to buy

Okay guys I'm looking to buy some new music but don't know what to buy.

Here's what I listen to most of the time:

Drive-by Truckers

Wilco

My Morning Jacket

Centro-Matic

Jason Isbell

Son Volt

The Black Keys

Spoon

Thoughts? What about the new Whigs? I've never listened to them, but there's a lot of talk about them over on the DBT board.

1. m. ward --post war

full band, so it's not too sleepy for an intro to him

terrific and has guest vocals by jim james and neko case (bonus!)

now, these aren't totally in keeping with all the artists on your list, but there is a link for each of them:

2. joe henry -- trampoline

an older record, but fucking stellar. this is as he was starting to transition out of the roots country thing

3. gillian welch --soul journey

not as mournful as her older records, a little more uptempo (in keeping with some of the stuff on your list)

4. andrew bird --armchair apocrypha

nothing like anything on your list, but he whistles on mmj's z and toured with wilco this year. also, he is an amazing musician and songwriter.

5. neko case --blacklisted or furnace room lullabye.

holy hell, these are good.

other things that came to mind, not new, but might be just the thing to mix it up for you: an otis redding collection, willie nelson, red headed stranger, score to little miss sunchine, old 97's too far to care, jonathan richman: jonathan goes country (wonderful! old school studio guys on this)

for the record: last night i bought: grant lee phillips --nineteen eighties, and helio sequence--keep your eyes ahead. have been binge listening to both of them all morning! :music :dancing

Since we were talking about Blue Mountain today - I hope you have all of their albums.

Yeah, baby! You should also seek out the pre-Blue Mountain disc Big Black River by The Hilltops. It has some early versions of Blue Mountain tracks, not to mention some great songs sung by Wilco's own John Stiratt.

Slobberbone-Crow Pot Pie (a drunk,pissed off and ready to fight version of Son Volt)

Elliott Smith-Figure 8 (Very summerteeth/Beatlesque)

The Byrds-Sweetheart Of The Rodeo(Gram Parsons influenced album.Alt-country before the term Alt-country was invented)

Steve Earl-El Corazon,Transcendental Blues(Alt-country,gravel voice,great songwriter)

Andrew Bird-Andrew Bird And The Mysterious Production Of Eggs(beautiful,odd,colorful,quirky pop)

Waylon Jennings-Honky Tonk Heroes (All but one song on this album was written by Billy Joe Shaver, a beloved Texas songwriter and all around mean old fart. This album was credited with starting the outlaw country movement in the early 70's)

well I've got to say as far as new shit to buy, I'm really into the new Vampire Weekend record. Actually it's they're first release, I think....anyway though, it's some cool listening. I love it.

-seth

12. joe henry -- trampoline

an older record, but fucking stellar. this is as he was starting to transition out of the roots country thing

Don't forget his new one.....Civilians which is excellent. Actually I am going to see him tonight.

LouieB

Don't forget his new one.....Civilians which is excellent. Actually I am going to see him tonight.

LouieB

Thanks again everyone for all the help. I'm planning a record store run sometime in the next few days... :dancing

secondary modern - vanilla to an englishman...i don't even know where to get this record, but it's really quite good.

ditto to the byrds, neko, andrew bird and the old 97's.

i'm not even gonna mention the lastest two cow garage record, for fear of sounding like a broken record.

and has no one mentioned ryan adams? at least check out 'heartbreaker' if you don't feel like swimming around in his catalog.

1. m. ward --post war

full band, so it's not too sleepy for an intro to him

terrific and has guest vocals by jim james and neko case (bonus!)

now, these aren't totally in keeping with all the artists on your list, but there is a link for each of them:

2. joe henry -- trampoline

3. gillian welch --soul journey

not as mournful as her older records, a little more uptempo (in keeping with some of the stuff on your list)

gillian welch is prolly in my top five artists/bands. i loved soul journey, especially tunes with drums. wrecking ball is amazing. would love to hear an electric album from her. all jangly and neil youngish. so, any news on a new album from her. it's been 4 years since soul journey. she was supposed to release something last year, but nothing.

craig

two cow garage - III (for those who lie to rock, toured with the dbt's before i believe)

dead confederate ep (for mmj fans) http://www.myspace.com/deadconfederate

i'll give second recs for slobberbone and their followup band , the drams (the drams album is like summerteeth with the instrumentation/production of AM or Being There)

band of horses -i really like both of their albums, a more laid back alternative to mmj.

patty hurst shifter - (great rock from the south) http://www.myspace.com/pattyhurstshifter

i listen to that new iron and wine lp a lot, as in right now.

Split Lip Rayfield

John Hartford

David Grisman

Flatt & Scruggs

Old & in the Way

Bill Monroe

Sort of a list of Dead and in the way..... :lol All good stuff, all sort of old. (okay Grisman isn't dead...)

BTW Joe Henry was fantastic....go see him if he is in town (he is going to Europe for all you Europeans.)

Wow, TG is out of hibernation...

LouieB

BTW Joe Henry was fantastic....go see him if he is in town (he is going to Europe for all you Europeans.)

goooooo, joe! glad to hear his show was terrific!

Wow, TG is out of hibernation...

:lol