I urge you all to catch the boys on this tour, they've got a month's worth of dates in the US throughout late Feb/March.

:shifty Saw them twice this week in Oxford on Monday and then last night at Koko in London, and what a spectacle!

If the new magnificent album wasn't enough they were unstoppable last night, and don't think I've ever witnessed quite as much mayhem at the end of a gig. The 10 foot bear was back, Eamon Hamilton (now with Brakes) returned wearing helmet,cape and wrestling belt to wreak havoc through a chaotic closing 'Rock In A' and stole the show amid chants of 'Easy! Easy!' through upcoming single No Lucifer.

Amid all the anthems highlight for me was a beautiful 'The Great Skua' complete with widescreen video backdrop of crashing seas and soaring seabirds, and the band like true sons of blighty dressed as fell walkers and morris dancers (minus the bells and poles). Hamilton played 'True Adventures' wearing an operatic mask and cloak like a cross between early 70's Peter Gabriel and the most ridiculous of new romantics (he even had knee length white socks over his boots). Wood was back on the sticks after hurting his back and Cumbrian brothers Yan and Hamilton and stage-climbing, crowd surfing guitarist Noble were joined by Abi on viola and a bloke on cornet, keyboards and hand-wound air-raid siren.

Very mixed crowd, plenty of 40 somethings, veterans of the classic post-punk years and even more indie kids bellowing back every word.

Do yourselves a favour and get along, small venues in the States makes it an unmissable gig! :worship

They're playing a very small venue here in March, and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Incidentally, it's the same small venue that Eamon and his Brakes played at last year to about 30 people. I hope the turnout is better for BSP... as much as I love the intimate shows, I love more to know that maybe my favorite bands will have incentive to return to my town.

• 4 weeks later...
Bummed that I'm going to miss them as they swing through Southern California. Especially since my friends Colourmusic are opening for them.

Mrs. Kidsmoke just saw them with her son Brennan last week (Spaceland?) and said they were very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

There is a 99% chance I will be seeing them in Minneapolis this Friday. Just have to work out some final details.

Sixteen hours of driving there and back.......Will be most certainly be worth it!!

Mrs. Kidsmoke just saw them with her son Brennan last week (Spaceland?) and said they were very enjoyable.

It was me & Tom actually...it's a 21+ club & Bren is only 17, much as he'd have liked to go. And yes, Spaceland....you have a good memory, Mr. Bed!

We had a fabulous time.....definitely go, Lynch! :dancing Uyen, that's a great looking setlist. Now what's all this gogo was saying you'd told her about security having had to step in to control (not the audience but) the band??!! :lol

We only had one bit of piggyback-riding at our show.

PS - Is Canvey Island a gorgeous song or what? Gives me chills.

keeprighton2, thanks for sharing the marvelous photos!

It was me & Tom actually...it's a 21+ club & Bren is only 17, much as he'd have liked to go. And yes, Spaceland....you have a good memory, Mr. Bed!

We had a fabulous time.....definitely go, Lynch! :dancing Uyen, that's a great looking setlist. Now what's all this gogo was saying you'd told her about security having had to step in to control (not the audience but) the band??!! :lol

We only had one bit of piggyback-riding at our show.

PS - Is Canvey Island a gorgeous song or what? Gives me chills.

keeprighton2, thanks for sharing the marvelous photos!

Listening to Canvey Island right now actually.

Doing some financial figuring, and...............I AM IN!!!! Hopefully my bro-in-law and I still get along after 16 hours in a car in one weekend, haha.

I have to see them! VERY few opportunities to see bands like them around here.

I commend you on your inspiration and your commitment. Also, I admit that my main concern for the last two weeks has been trying to figure out how many BSP shows I can catch before they leave our shores.

Drive safely and have fun. :cheers

It's shaping up to be quite the weekend.

We are also seeing X (John Doe's band) on Saturday. It should be good.

This will be wild. This weekend goes against every grain of my being. I like to have everything planned well in advance to the last detail. This will be good. I need to be out of my element more.

My Spring:

British Sea Power - March 21

Wilco - May 1 and 2

My Morning Jacket - ?????

This will be wild. This weekend goes against every grain of my being. I like to have everything planned well in advance to the last detail. This will be good. I need to be out of my element more.

Words to live by. :thumbup

Now if only a great rate to Pittsburgh would pop up... :ninja

It's shaping up to be quite the weekend.

We are also seeing X (John Doe's band) on Saturday. It should be good.

My Spring:

British Sea Power - March 21

Wilco - May 1 and 2

My Morning Jacket - ?????

i will be at BSP tomorrow too :)

i will be at BSP tomorrow too :)

Haha, neat! I will be the guy in the blue-framed glasses and the orange hat or toque (depending on how cold it is).

Hope the weather holds out. Apparently there is a storm watch on for Friday. I am a nervous wreck already! I hate winter travel.

So I am back home in Canada, after an amazing weekend, and a killer British Sea Power show. The concert rocked, well worth the sixteen hour round trip by car. Highlights were of course meeting them before the show (very friendly chaps, Noble spent about 10 minutes looking for a shirt that was the right size for me...it pays to show up early!!). "Down On The Ground" and "Larsen B" were blistering. This was the last show were Colourmusic was opening for them, so it was kind of a special night. Colourmusic did an impromptu "encore" after their set, playing a cover of Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls". This got the horns up salute from the BSP members, who were watching at the side of the stage.

I was expected the oft-hyped mayhem of the boys from Brighton, and was not disappointed. Noble was given a piggy-back by a front row fan in mid song, and was walking on their shoulders during the encore. All the members of Colourmusic were on stage during the encore as well, hitting cymbals, throwing streamers, with one member taking over on guitar during Noble's foray into the crowd.

*click on the picture for a larger view

dsc02508au7.th.jpg

The crappy weather on the drive down

autographsvj3.th.jpg

Signed by all except Wood the drummer, who wasn't around before the show

dsc02509ps6.th.jpg

Yan and Noble....the guy grinning like an idiot in the middle is me

dsc02514jn0.th.jpg

Noble doing a pre-encore Jager-bomb.

setlistmarch2108cf2.th.jpg

The setlist....first song was Lights Out For Darker Skies, torn due to the tape and the beer spilled on the stage

For more pics, click here