Aimee Mann

Orchestra Baobab

Otherwise ... :yawn

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

god i wish i didn't hate festivals with a fiery passion

See, that's funny because I look at it and think "God I wish shit like this existed ten years ago when my life was responsibility-free enough to allow me to pack up the camping gear and go to something like this." :lol

Finals for spring quarter end that week and then I have to go back home to the other coast (South Carolina) to set up base real quick and then get up to Tennessee somehow. Scheduling wise it probably won't work for me but fun wise it would definitely be a good time. I went in 2006 and it was great!

it's still like 80k no? ;)

just the idea of all day out in the sun watching bands play often abbreviated sets (at least Bonnaroo gives the headliners long sets) and the fact that so many bands that i wanna see often overlap, among other things (sweatty hippies, etc.), just not my idea of fun.

I went last year and it was a really great time. It's not corporate at all, and there's so many stages with so many different styles going on, it's easy to find something good. Also, Bonnaroo usually has pretty long sets. Afternoon bands get 1:15 to 1:45 which for most mid-level bands, is the same as doing a regular show (sometimes minus an encore). Then the headliners get 3 hours and the late night acts often get more time than that.

Yeah, there's certainly passed out hippies everywhere, and really obnoxious things concerning their culture there, but when it comes to festivals, it doesn't get much better and diverse than Bonnaroo. Plus, when you've got Pearl Jam, My Morning Jacket, Sigur Ros, Broken Social Scene, as well as some of the finest hip hop, bluegrass, blues, soul, indie rock, and jazz artists (the blue note jazz tent artists still hasn't been announced!), it turns into quite the weekend... unbearable weather or not

The Blue Note Jazz Tent was arguably my favorite part of the festival last year. That was such a welcome break from the noise and heat. You walk in and it's shocking how cool and dark it is. I caught some great stuff in there.

I'm definitely going and camping out this year. The hotel was nice, but I need the whole experience, I think.

Thats definitely a strong lineup for the most part. Pearl Jam and Metallica put on great shows.

he's been doing the solo thing for a while now. I think he has a solo album coming out this year. I don't even think the Wallflowers have a recording contract at the moment.
So if his group doesn't have a contract, how is he putting out a solo album (it better be better than the last Wallflowers CD... :yawn :yucky of course I only paid $4 for it....)

LouieB

2 years is along time, why? did they mention a long break?

new album?

i'm guessing new record out by Summer '09, tour to follow, so maybe 18-24 months is a better estimate.

also, every member but one is either married or engaged to be, so i'm sure there will be some kids in the picture over the next break too :)

... among other things (sweatty hippies, etc.), just not my idea of fun.

fair enough. :lol

the best thing about pearl jam and metallica headlining is that everyone will be seeing those sets, so the festival grounds will be quiet, and one can get ready for the late night sets. :ninja

some of the best sets i've seen at b'roo were those i knew nothing about. also, BOTH times i went i discovered months later that some band i was just getting in to had played the festival.

last year it was the mardi gras indian band. WOO!

chris, if you want any bonnaroo camping words o' wisdom i'll happily share them.

So if his group doesn't have a contract, how is he putting out a solo album (it better be better than the last Wallflowers CD... :yawn :yucky of course I only paid $4 for it....)

LouieB

I don't know the scoop on who he is recording with. Maybe they did kick him out.

I agree on the last album, but I still hold a place in my heart for the Wallflowers because of this album:

51M0MYFVYPL._AA240_.jpg

I agree on the last album, but I still hold a place in my heart for the Wallflowers because of this album:

51M0MYFVYPL._AA240_.jpg

Me too. Underrated record, that.

I had almost forgotten about those guys and started to assume that their debut record was just a one-shot deal, and then that "One Headlight" thing happened. Or maybe it was "6th Avenue Heartache."

Me too. Underrated record, that.

I had almost forgotten about those guys and started to assume that their debut record was just a one-shot deal, and then that "One Headlight" thing happened. Or maybe it was "6th Avenue Heartache."

I think One Headlight was first. Catchy tune, IMO, but damn did it get old.

I don't know the scoop on who he is recording with. Maybe they did kick him out.

51M0MYFVYPL._AA240_.jpg

I was seriously kidding about the getting kicked out thing. I don't think any of the other members from the original line up made it through the whole run of the group did they? The debut was good, but the hit singles brought it all home (money wise). Some of the rest of the recordings aren't too bad. Actually the final record isn't too bad if you dump the semi-rap stuff Jakob engaged in. Stick with the singing guy.....

LouieB

I could definitely use some advice, as I"m also camping all 3 nights of Langerado. What d'you got?

number one on the list: rain boots.

last year tennessee was in the midst of an awful drought, but when it rains, the mud is gnarly. also, all the stuff sitting in the dirt becomes part of the mud. do. :stunned

the year i camped we were able to use a camp stove. don't know if you can still do that. if you can: bring some stuff you can whip up with boiled water: instant oatmeal is a great thing to have.

(ok. i'm going to think back and see what is good advice...)

it's still like 80k no? ;)

just the idea of all day out in the sun watching bands play often abbreviated sets (at least Bonnaroo gives the headliners long sets) and the fact that so many bands that i wanna see often overlap, among other things (sweatty hippies, etc.), just not my idea of fun.

trust me the sweaty hippy count drops every year, mettalica is like the final nail in the coffin.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else get their tickets this weekend?

I got one, as did my sister and mother. I think my sister is going to camp with some friends, while my mom is shacking up in a hotel. I'll be in a tent with some friends as well.

All in all, this weekend I bought tickets for Radiohead and Bonnaroo, and I'm less than 3 weeks from Langerado. And I have tickets for Bruce Springsteen in April. And I'll be picking up tickets for Tom Petty soon. So I've got a good slew of shows in the coming months.

Anybody else get their tickets this weekend?

I got one, as did my sister and mother. I think my sister is going to camp with some friends, while my mom is shacking up in a hotel. I'll be in a tent with some friends as well.

All in all, this weekend I bought tickets for Radiohead and Bonnaroo, and I'm less than 3 weeks from Langerado. And I have tickets for Bruce Springsteen in April. And I'll be picking up tickets for Tom Petty soon. So I've got a good slew of shows in the coming months.

Save your cash on petty, I saw him two years ago twice, and beyond awful are the only words that come to mind. Completely scripted stage show; the bonnaroo set was pitiful and then i saw him for free in chicago a week or two later it was just as bad. But that just might be me if you like nostalgia shows id say go.

P.S. that must be pretty cool to have a mom and sister with a good taste in music.

• 3 months later...