R.E.M. Supernatural Superserious-Stream

Agreed, good pop song, ugly production, etc.

The thing that stands out to me though is Stipe's messy vocal performance. Here's a guy who's known to strive for perfection in his studio singing performances -- even the vocals on the otherwise horrible Around the Sun were great -- so this is kind of a weird change. I know this is the quickest R.E.M. has recorded a record in 20 years, but was this really the best take? Is Stipe starting to show his age/effects of years of smoking on the ol' vocal cords?

Agreed, good pop song, ugly production, etc.

The thing that stands out to me though is Stipe's messy vocal performance. Here's a guy who's known to strive for perfection in his studio singing performances -- even the vocals on the otherwise horrible Around the Sun were great -- so this is kind of a weird change. I know this is the quickest R.E.M. has recorded a record in 20 years, but was this really the best take? Is Stipe starting to show his age/effects of years of smoking on the ol' vocal cords?

I like the vocal take. In my opinion, Stipe's the best when it sounds like he just walked in and sang. Too much fussiness recently for me. I also think it fits the song. A take like this wouldn't work on a song like "Everybody Hurts" or "Nightswimming".

I'm afraid the production/mix/master for the album will be iPod ready (i.e. load). Some guy blogged about the album and said all the songs have this production.

Looks like the stream has been removed. Or am I the only one?

It still streams for me.

I think it's funny that for the past 4 or 5 years we've talked how over-polished and bland and wussy that R.E.M has become....now they put out a single that's a little raw and dirty and imperfect, and some don't seem happy about THAT.

You all kill me.

I like the song. Welcome back R.E.M.!

I think it's funny that for the past 4 or 5 years we've talked how over-polished and bland and wussy that R.E.M has become....now they put out a single that's a little raw and dirty and imperfect, and some don't seem happy about THAT.

You all kill me.

I like the song. Welcome back R.E.M.!

See if it WAS all raw and dirty sounding, that'd be something. R.E.M.'s Crazy Horse album. But this single DOES sound over-polished and produced all slick and loud, which is why Stipe's vocal track sounds a little off to me. If it was a more lo-fi live take with the entire band, the vocals would probably fit better.

Don't get me wrong though -- I definitely like the song.

See if it WAS all raw and dirty sounding, that'd be something. R.E.M.'s Crazy Horse album. But this single DOES sound over-polished and produced all slick and loud, which is why Stipe's vocal track sounds a little off to me. If it was a more lo-fi live take with the entire band, the vocals would probably fit better.

Don't get me wrong though -- I definitely like the song.

I disagree. To me, it sounds like R.E.M. in a studio playing a song. Buck's guitar is great. Stipe sounds a little raspy but natural. To me, it's so different than, say, "Leaving New York", which was an over-produced, schaltzy piece of crap.

You can now make a video for the song at www.supernaturalsuperserious.com

And it won't be hard to top the "official" video.

Anyone else think the Supernatural Superserious video is awful?

Imitation Of Life's video, for example, was amazing....maybe I was hoping this new one would be in the same league.

I kinda want to hold off! No spoilers! I'm a little nervous, I read the stereogum first impressions thing and verbally it sounds good, but I swore after that last piece of shit I would never by another R.E.M. album, and I have been hard core since I was 12. The production thing doesn't worry me too much talking about a stream though.

I kinda want to hold off! No spoilers! I'm a little nervous, I read the stereogum first impressions thing and verbally it sounds good, but I swore after that last piece of shit I would never by another R.E.M. album, and I have been hard core since I was 12. The production thing doesn't worry me too much talking about a stream though.

Ha. I agree. Their last album was just sooooooooooooo bad. I'm a long-time R.E.M. fan and somewhat of an apologist. I still defend Up as a great album. Reveal?....not as much.

But just hearing a 30 second snippet of Supernatural Superserious got me pumped up. Buck is actually playing a crunchy-sounding electric guitar!

• 3 weeks later...