A thread about death and dying

Sickness and death have come visiting my family this past week. Bethanydear's grandmother passed away on Monday. She was my earliest mentor and I loved her.

"Nana, as her family called her, was a naturalist and loved her cottage home in the woods along the Blanchard River. Her father was a florist, and helped her start her own garden when she was five. She continued to garden, keep chickens, and was an active member of the Gathering Basket Herb Society until her death. She had just recently received her seed order for the spring. A Scottish Terrier breeder, she loved all dogs. She was a life-long learner and inveterate reader (especially mystery novels), and a member of the Institute for Learning in Retirement at Bluffton University. She was a wood-carver for fifty years and was well known for gifts of her Santas and gnomes. Her family and friends will remember her for her enthusiasm for life, her sense of humor, her love of her family and the University of Michigan, and her Thoreauvian life-style. She was always ready for an adventure and is now on to a new one."

A book I am reading has pointed to the idea that nowhere is death more implicit than in love.

Sorry to hear that M Chris.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry, Chris. :( Sending lots of love to you, Bethanydear, her brother, and all the family. :cheekkiss

Nana sounded like one of those amazing souls that seem to inspire you at every turn, but especially in old age. :wub I feel very fortunate to have had those kind of people in my life...the time I had with them seems too short and I miss them dearly, but I can tell you the love and inspiration remains with me everyday.

All our best for peace and comfort in the difficult days ahead,

xoxo

Cloudygirl and Family

That's a beautiful obituary, M. Chris. Nana sounds like a wonderful woman, and I hope her passing was peaceful.

Please send Bethany my love.

• 2 weeks later...

I was listening to a speech today that reminded me of this thread.

"The problem is that we simply do not know how to die. We have forgotten that dying, like all other significant aspects of our lives, requires training and not only does it require training--it requires examples. We have to be willing to give our deaths to one another. Through which we will know how to die in the presence of one another." -Stanley Hauerwas