A thread about death and dying

For quite some time now my mother has suffered from emphysema and a host of other physical

ailments brought on by a lifetime of heavy smoking. And while she stopped many years ago, the

damage was far done already. Amongst the myriad problems wracking her body at this point are that

her kidneys ceased functioning due to one of the steroids that helped her to breathe. Unable to continue

with this steroid her breathing is extremely labored, and as a result of her kidneys shutting down and the

lack of oxygen she's grown difficult to understand and slips in and out of lucidity. She's fallen several

times over the past week. She's been adamant about not going to the hospital despite my best efforts to

convince her that that is the necessary course of action. And while on the outside looking in it may seem

obvious that it would be the best, one would need to consider that emotional damage of taking away ones

freedom to choose for themselves. To take away the dignity of dying in their own homes. On some level

to take away that choice feels like a cowardice; it seems to seek to alleviate the discomfort of those making

the choice. Clearly to upset her would be worse. One just needs to hear her breathing grow panicked and more labored

in the very conversation. Yesterday she spent about 8 hours in an armchair in her bedroom. She slipped in and out

of sleep. In and out of lucidity. Eventually it became clear she had soiled herself. After two hours of insisting she could

take care of herself she had to relent and allow me to help clean her. A couple of calls to her doctor and he agreed that

it was best to convince her to go, but it needed to be her choice. Anything else would be counterproductive.

In the end our sense self sufficiency and perceptions of freedom are illusions. If we need anything in life its humility. To

both give care, and to be able to receive. If we can't receive the gift of kindness from another we not only hurt ourselves,

but we deny them an opportunity to give from a heart imbued with generosity. The heart which when cultivated grows and teaches others.

That, and the ability to impart care with compassion. To put another at ease with simple presence. She had me start to pack a

bag for the hospital last night. I got up at four after a few hours of sleep to train. Four hours on the trainer. There's a solace

in the routine. Nearing an age where my father developed life ending cancer I'm in the best shape of my life. It's interesting to

balance the suchness of all that. Today is another day.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine losing anyone, much less my mother, like how you lost yours. It's probably hard to find solace in the fact that she's gone, but her pain is over--which, I bet, she'd been waiting for for a long time. I hope her memory will help you cope.

My sympathies... :hug

She died.

Words can only offer so much comfort, but they are all I/we have.

Even though I only know you from a message board for a band that I have fondness for, I feel the deepest sympathy possible for your loss. Death is never a relief. Try to remember the good times.

My condolences to you and your family.