Scarlett Johansson "Anywhere I Lay My Head"

scarlett_johansson-anywhere-art.jpg

The track:

Here.

Part of me preferred the previously poster cover art.

We wont discuss which part.

I don't like this rendition of Anywhere either.

That casio beginning turns me off like cold showers and episodes of the Golden Girls; (apologies to the Bea Aurthur fans here @ VC...I know there's a few of you out there).

It evokes the hollow remorseful feeling that comes down on you when you realize you just waisted an hour and a half of your life watching a awful film.

• 2 weeks later...

I listend to Falling down, one of my favorite Waits tunes, and I didn't really like the feel of it. Then again, I think Waits is a hard one to cover if your going to go for a Waitsian sound...thats just hard to pull off I think.

The question is are people hating or defending her based upon how she looks or who she is.

IMHO the stuff I have heard/seen is awful. Not the vocals but the production. Plus what a pretentious project. Tom Waits? Anyone does an album of Tom Waits covers is trying to show how cool they are.

I heard "Falling Down" and was very unimpressed. I think the title track is better, but I agree with whoever said the production values stink.

All that reverb and mix burying the vocals is bad times, makes it sound like they think she did a bad job and were trying to cover up.

Also, I guess this could be her choice, but these seem to be very low in her vocal range. Move them up a couple keys and I bet she wouldn't have to seem like she's reaching down for some of these notes.

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to the MySpace songs just now.

Wow. I was prepared to be pleasantly surprised, but these are pretty awful. I mean, they're Tom Waits songs, so they've got that going for them, but Scarlett is one of the most unexpressive singers I've ever heard. She sounds bored, and the way the songs are arranged, she doesn't display any vocal range whatsoever. She had a chance to really bust loose on "Falling Down" but reworked the melody so she didn't have to.

Based on the four selections on MySpace, I can't say I understand where the positive reviews are coming from. I'll be skipping this one.