thank goodness the patriots didn't win

because if they did, a scary clown would appear everywhere and scream at you

photo02.jpg

here's the story

From those of us West of the Hudson River (i.e. the Rest of the United States)

Who_Cares.jpg

interesting story!

Of course while I welcome giving clothes to people, I have always really struggled with giving clothing soaked in American cultural identity to children in other countries. It feels like cultural imperialism to me. :yucky

Though that clown is creepier than just about anything. When my mom was working in the Dominican Republic, one of her friends would go entertain children in a clown outfit. I always thought that would be more terrifying than fun. :lol

Though that clown is creepier than just about anything.

I've always found it funny that, on paper, clowns are basically supposed to be the funniest and happiest things ever....and yet, I'd say more people are freaked out by them than made happy. I can't think of anything else like that.

I have never understood the appeal of clowns. Do they even have appeal? Are clowns something we're all creeped out by, but tacitly accept because we think others like them?

I believe adults seriously overestimate the appeal of clowns to children. Admittedly, I don't spend a lot of time around kids, but I've never known one (including myself, back in the day) who wasn't completely freaked out by clowns. Those fuckers are scary.

Oh, and? Not funny.

Who_Cares.jpg

Grapes a bit sour out there in the Lone Star State? :cheekkiss

i dunno -- maybe it was just my age but i blame clown creepiness on stephen king. I don't recall being particularly creeped out out by clowns as a kid in the 70s-80s until IT came out. from that point on: clowns = creepy in the cosmic consciousness.

I have never understood the appeal of clowns. Do they even have appeal? Are clowns something we're all creeped out by, but tacitly accept because we think others like them?

I believe adults seriously overestimate the appeal of clowns to children. Admittedly, I don't spend a lot of time around kids, but I've never known one (including myself, back in the day) who wasn't completely freaked out by clowns. Those fuckers are scary.

I think a lot of kids dig clowns because they haven't been marred by fears yet. Maybe they just like clowns, though.

I would say it depends on the context and it depends on the clown. Clownery is kind of a kinetic art - still photos don't do them justice.

Who_Cares.jpg

I'm a Steelers fan, so it's not really about the game or the result for me...

It's about the CLOWN, man! I felt bad for that kid! Clowns scare me, too... especially those black velvet paintings of sad clowns. Even Bozo.

I would say it depends on the context and it depends on the clown. Clownery is kind of a kinetic art - still photos don't do them justice.

If anyone here watches Sesame Street on a regular basis you'll understand this - Mr. Noodle (and his brother, Mr. Noodle) on the Elmo's World segments... they don't wear the make-up, but they are basically clowns and they totally freak me out. It took me a while to understand my irrational dislike for them, but I realized that they never talk, they always act like total buffoons, they wear absurd clothes with really big ties and really baggy pants, and worst of all... they're always waiting right outside Elmo's window. :unsure

If anyone here watches Sesame Street on a regular basis you'll understand this - Mr. Noodle (and his brother, Mr. Noodle) on the Elmo's World segments... they don't wear the make-up, but they are basically clowns and they totally freak me out. It took me a while to understand my irrational dislike for them, but I realized that they never talk, they always act like total buffoons, they wear absurd clothes with really big ties and really baggy pants, and worst of all... they're always waiting right outside Elmo's window. :unsure

Well, he's dead now, so you can sleep peacefully.

Michael Jeter's dead, but Bill Irwin is alive and well!

(yes, I know both actors' names)

You're right it was Michael Jeter. weird dude but talented.

He always kind of scared me. Not in a clown-like way, but a "he makes me a little angry" kind of way. Or maybe it's just that his last name was Jeter, I don't know.