Stuff White People Like

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not remotely offended by it, which is odd only because I sympathize entirely with whoever has written it. The site may think it's lampooning white people, but what it's actually lampooning is the upper middle-class. It's cool that I can actually mock and chuckle at the targets of the blog's ire.

The thing that irks me about both of these sites - and no, I'm not the kind of liberal who can't take a joke - is that they're perpetuating racial stereotypes that are inextricably linked to class. I often wonder if Americans realize that the country's race issues are really more about class than skin colour. Ehn, maybe I'd have a different slant on things if I lived there myself. Or if I could make rent without help most months. Etc. But I doubt it.

The thing that irks me about both of these sites is that they're perpetuating racial stereotypes that are inextricably linked to class.

I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't pertain to all SWPL posts such as "Standing Still at Concerts" and "Mos Def" :lol

I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't pertain to all SWPL posts such as "Standing Still at Concerts" and "Mos Def" :lol

those are good. I'm actually guilty of this one,

Many white people will look into the window of an ethnic restaurant to see if there are other white people in there. It is determined to be an acceptable restaurant if the white people in there are accompanied by ethnic friends. But if there is a table occupied entirely by white people, it is deemed unacceptable.

if I'm going out for Japanese food, I want the place owned, operated, staffed and frequented by Japanese people.

The site may think it's lampooning white people, but what it's actually lampooning is the upper middle-class. It's cool that I can actually mock and chuckle at the targets of the blog's ire.

Yeah, I read it and laughed because the writer is going after yuppies, not all white.

White people overwhelmingly like Wilco based upon what I saw at the Riv all week.

I was expecting a snarky entry about Wilco on the link, but clearly Greg is correct. Not alot of black people dig Wilco.....oh well...

LouieB

I was expecting a snarky entry about Wilco on the link, but clearly Greg is correct. Not alot of black people dig Wilco.....oh well...

LouieB

I'd give anything to know why. I don't know if I've ever seen a paler crowd of folks. :D

back in the 70s, Thelma from Good Times was labelled as "the black girl that every white boy likes"!

I KNOW! :thumbup

I'd give anything to know why. I don't know if I've ever seen a paler crowd of folks. :D

Springsteen has made comments on a couple of occasions that there were more black people on hi stage than in his audience, that is to say one, though there were three for a brief period in '74-'75.

White people overwhelmingly like Wilco based upon what I saw at the Riv all week.

only the cool ones

I'm not remotely offended by it, which is odd only because I sympathize entirely with whoever has written it. The site may think it's lampooning white people, but what it's actually lampooning is the upper middle-class. It's cool that I can actually mock and chuckle at the targets of the blog's ire.

i'm 100% sure that most white people would love the phrase 'mock and chuckle at the targets of the blog's ire'.