Stuff White People Like

With the exception of "80's Night" and a few other entries, I don't see the problem with enjoying most of the things that are listed on this blog. Going through the points on this blog, yes, I'm an [upper] middle class film student who enjoys indie music/radio, good food/beer/wine, I've read a few Sedaris books, I own Apple products, I have a netflix account, I enjoy "breakfast places", coffee, film festivals, travel, etc. Am I supposed to feel bad about all of that? I'd like to think my motivations are in the right place. I just don't get what this blog is trying to say.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of "80's Night" and a few other entries, I don't see the problem with enjoying most of the things that are listed on this blog. Going through the points on this blog, yes, I'm an [upper] middle class film student who enjoys indie music/radio, good food/beer/wine, I've read a few Sedaris books, I own Apple products, I have a netflix account, I enjoy "breakfast places", coffee, film festivals, travel, etc. Am I supposed to feel bad about all of that? I'd like to think my motivations are in the right place. I just don't get what this blog is trying to say.

Well... at least you're trying to be an artist. Heh.

We'll talk when you're a decade removed from student life and your parents' treasure trove, give or take. Unless you're directing Nike commercials or music videos, I mean.

(The hand-holding explanation: the majority of upper/middle class kids study abroad, travel, go to film festivals, etc. They're not just the only folks with the time and money to enjoy such luxuries, they're the only ones who are really encouraged to follow those pursuits. To wit, nobody's ever told me to travel because, well, I've always been poor, so what's the use? If I can't even afford to eat after I pay my rent, I sure as heck can't afford to miss work for a few weeks so I can "summer" someplace with money I don't have. At any rate, it's a classic chicken/egg situation. You travel because it's expected of you to do so; you like traveling because it's something you're able to do. Shouldn't we all be so lucky! Anyway, that's why you're an easy target. Trust me, kid, it's a small, small price to pay for the lifestyle you enjoy. In fact, it isn't even a price at all. Believe me.)

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I think it's pretty funny.

I am completely offended. I cannot believe that we still live in world where making fun of people's race and life choices. This blogger is completely out of line. Who is he/she to judge what other people like and their reasons for doing so? This is ludicrous.

(P.S. I thought it was funny and true. I love traveling and then telling you I just got back form somewhere exotic, like Paraguay. )

Trust me, kid, it's a small, small price to pay for the lifestyle you enjoy. In fact, it isn't even a price at all.

I understand what you are saying, and that is probably the best explanation I'm going to get. So that I don't lose all credibility here, traveling means maybe taking a trip or two up to St. Louis every year to see friends. And without getting all "do you know who you're talking to", I can support myself with the film work I get outside of my studies, because I've worked for it and haven't rested on my parents "treasure trove". I pay for everything I listed in my first post. I'm not saying that is anything special, but maybe we'll talk in a decade and you'll have grown out of making assumptions about how other people live.

The point was (and maybe this is an entire different discussion) that I still fit into this "white person" stereotype, but it's not because I was born into it, it's because all things have lead me to believe that these things can be part of a healthy, fulfilling lifestyle. Does that mean I disregard that family and friends are the most important things in life? This point has been made a thousand times on this board and others, but we're all sitting here on our computers, on a message board, we are all more privileged than most.

I can take a joke and laugh at myself. Maybe that is the point of this blog, but it seems to go a bit far in skewering things that I can't help but see as positive, no matter what race or class you were born into.

This site is satire if the author is white. This site is racism if the author is not. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander, and the goose has already been cooked countless times by the ethnic minorities suppressed and ridiculed by the overbearing white grind.

White people like to look at pictures of a blogs author. White people like to feel like they share a connection with an author that they like, or that they have nothing in common with an author they dont like. White people like to make fun of themselves, but only when they feel a connection with the person making fun of them. White people, deep down, dont like to be wrong. It makes them uncomfortable.

White people with enough sense not to drown standing in the rain feel self-conscious about engaging in conscious racism. White people engaging in unconscious racism dont like to be called on it. White people engaging in unconscious racism will continue blithely onward, telling themselves, This is different. This has real merit., until someone smacks them in the face with a metaphorical car door, as they ride by on their $5,000 bike, on the way to the sandwich shop where they volunteer for the humane society, and on weekends teach black kids to read.

See that? That is a stereotype. It sure stands out, does it not? Why? Because you think Im white.

White people like to feel a connection with the author of material that makes fun of them. Otherwise, they start getting uncomfortable. White people dont like to be wrong.

By the by, you have a column made up of the most profoundly racially polarized material Ive seen since i left the GNAA website, and you put a * in CUNT? Please, grow up. Your so called morality is shifty, baseless and without merit.

I am mostly white and I like jokes! Like this one!

A couple of New Jersey hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the ground. He doesn't seem to be breathing, his eyes are rolled back in his head. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps to the operator: "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: "Just take it easy. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a shot is heard. The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says: "OK, now what?"

Well... at least you're trying to be an artist. Heh.

We'll talk when you're a decade removed from student life and your parents' treasure trove, give or take. Unless you're directing Nike commercials or music videos, I mean.

(The hand-holding explanation: the majority of upper/middle class kids study abroad, travel, go to film festivals, etc. They're not just the only folks with the time and money to enjoy such luxuries, they're the only ones who are really encouraged to follow those pursuits. To wit, nobody's ever told me to travel because, well, I've always been poor, so what's the use? If I can't even afford to eat after I pay my rent, I sure as heck can't afford to miss work for a few weeks so I can "summer" someplace with money I don't have. At any rate, it's a classic chicken/egg situation. You travel because it's expected of you to do so; you like traveling because it's something you're able to do. Shouldn't we all be so lucky! Anyway, that's why you're an easy target. Trust me, kid, it's a small, small price to pay for the lifestyle you enjoy. In fact, it isn't even a price at all. Believe me.)

This post is something else. Wow.

I bet he don't like Vampire Weekend much either.

Hummus kicks ass.

I have a friend that is (insert ethnic group here)

Yeah, #67, not at Wilco show (most of them) or geez, in the 90's, white crowds were insane. NIN, Metallica, Rage, PJ, Watt, Horton Heat, B Boys, Blues Explosion, Beck, to name a few where most were going nutso. But if this is upper middle class SES, then yeah, John Tesh followers prolly have their fingers up their arses.

I have a friend that is (insert ethnic group here)

Yeah, #67, not at Wilco show (most of them) or geez, in the 90's, white crowds were insane. NIN, Metallica, Rage, PJ, Watt, Horton Heat, B Boys, Blues Explosion, Beck, to name a few where most were going nutso. But if this is upper middle class SES, then yeah, John Tesh followers prolly have their fingers up their arses.

#89 - Posting incoherent thoughts on a band's fan site.

• 1 month later...
White people have always been renowned for having ridiculously large music collections. So when file sharing gave white people a chance to acquire all the music they ever wanted, it felt as though it was an earned right and not a privilege.

When (not if) you see a white male with a full iPod, ask him if all of his music is legal. If he does not immediately launch into a diatribe about his right to pirate music, you might have to nudge him a bit by saying

Being the epitome of the middle aged white guy, and feeling the need to have my every thought immortalized on the internets, I would like to state that, personally, I like the following:

Coca Cola

Maker's Mark Bourbon

Hamburgers

World of Warcraft

White Guys with Guitars

Fender Stratocasters

Chevy Trucks

Peanut Butter

Barnum and Bailey Animal Crackers

Aged Cheddar Cheese

Rosemary Bread

The Ticket

edit: I forgot

Lost

High School Football

The History Channel

# 75 - Moving to Canada

Note: Canadian white people threaten to move to Europe.

Note: Europeans are unable to threaten to move anywhere.

LOL...I love it!

I threatened to move to Europe when Stephen Harper became Prime Minister. True story. :blush

canada.png

• 1 month later...
It is a fact that white people will never turn down an opportunity to enlighten other people on the correct way to think. While this is very easy to do through email or face to face conversation, it is exceptionally difficult to do while driving a car. Fortunately for white people there is a solution that is both popular and ineffective: bumper stickers.

Before talking about the types of bumper stickers that white people like, it

If you have decided that you want to improve your status with white people by applying a bumper sticker to your car do not make the assumption that you can just use anything! Stickers that support right wing politics, guns, patriotism, war, or hunting are all unacceptable. It is also unacceptable to use a sticker with a clever slogan that does not support a left wing political cause. Any of these stickers will likely end any chance you had of befriending a white person.

Note: attaching a yellow magnetic ribbon to the back of your car will result in being shunned from some of the stricter white communities and should avoided at all costs.

:lol that's fucking awesome.