I'm excited! I can't wait until they come here on their tour, though. but UC Davis? thats a semi-unusual tour stop.

ALBUM RELEASE DATE/TRACK LISTING, SPECIAL TICKET PRE-SALE FOR UPCOMING SHOWS, CHRIS WALLA ON MTV2 ANDMTVU

Album Release Date, Track Listing

Death Cab for Cutie has unveiled initial details of their new album. NARROW STAIRS will arrive in stores and at all online retailers on May 13th. Produced by the band's own Chris Walla, the new album will be preceded by the single, "I Will Possess Your Heart." (See full track listing below). "I hope this album is a bit of a surprise for those out there that think they have us all figured out. We can't wait to share these songs with the world," states Death Cab bassist Nick Harmer.

NARROW STAIRS track listing:

1. Bixby Canyon Bridge

2. I Will Possess Your Heart

3. No Sunlight

4. Cath

• 4 weeks later...

New single "I Will Possess Your Heart"

http://stereogum.com/archives/new-death-ca...p;utm_medium=mc

and they added new tour dates:

FRI 5/9 Providence, RI @ Providence Piers (Tickets on sale at 12pm on March 20th)

SAT 5/10 Boston, MA @ Bank of America Pavillion (Tickets on sale at 10am on March 22nd)

SAT 5/24 Bend, OR @ Les Schwab Amphitheater w/ The Decemberists (Tickets on sale now)

WED 5/28 Morrison, OR @ Red Rocks Amphitheater w/ Rogue Wave (Tickets on sale on March 21st, Special fanclub pre-sale at 3pm on March 19th)

SUN 7/27 Pemberton, BC @ Pemberton, BC w/ Jay-Z and Coldplay (Tickets on sale on March 28th)

Has anyone heard the single? I heard it last night on XMU. I wasn't blown away by it but I really liked the long intro.

i like the song, but don't love it...

the intro is pretty repetitive and boring until the 3.5 minute mark imo. the actual song portion is pretty good, not overly hooky/catchy though.

sounds like it'll be a pretty dark/different record for them. just hoping I like it more than Plans is all.

i like the song, but don't love it...

the intro is pretty repetitive and boring until the 3.5 minute mark imo. the actual song portion is pretty good, not overly hooky/catchy though.

sounds like it'll be a pretty dark/different record for them. just hoping I like it more than Plans is all.

I definitely agree about the darker tone/feel.

For those looking to hear the new single, you can listen to it at their website. (Unless I was missing something, it wasn't up at Stereogum's site.) Click on this link and then scroll down to the 3.18.08 post.

Plans wasn't awful, but it was definitely a safe record for their major label debut.

It's still probably my least favorite Death Cab full length, either that or You Can Play These Songs with Chords, which isn't truly a Death Cab album per se.

Favorites being Photo Album, Transatlanticism, Facts, then Airplanes.

I hear a lot of The Edge in the lead guitar part. Maybe it's the delay, the harmonics, maybe it's how it provides atmosphere to the driving rhythm of the bass and drums. I bet U2 wishes they could still right songs as good as this.

I like this song, though.

The very beginning with the synth and the piano sounds very Yankee Hotel Foxtrot like.

EDIT- kinda like the last 10 seconds of Ashes of American Flags

It's the same chords I believe lol.

In the new American Songwriter Death Cab are on the cover and Ben talks about how much they love Wilco and Jeff's songs which is cool. I can't say I'm super impressed with the new song but it's good to see them doing something new. The "Gibbardisms" are still intact.

I've finally got round to listening to "I Will..." and I really liked it. Sure, it starts a bit quietly but it builds nicely. Feels a lot more robust than the stuff on Plans.

Agreed though, the beginning definitely sounds like the end of Ashes...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the first track was 41 seconds, but the rest were full length. I just assumed that was how long the song was, since often the first songs on albums are short and segue into a larger song. I don't know, I listened to a full album, in VBR format.