• 2 weeks later...
gotta say, both of those new songs on the Daytrotter session are fairly "meh".

Cath is decent but Talking Bird is a total snoozefest

agree with you completely. Catch sounded solid, but Talking Bird was boring, nothing new musically there.

yeah the article he wrote in Paste Magazine was great! ive never gotten into Death Cab for Cutie, havent heard alot but i liked Gibbard in the article and i will probably seek out this new record. thanks

I don't know if I would call it great, but it was surprisingly okay, which was about 2000 times better than I had expected for what I considered to be the lamest concept in the history of movable type. The title alone made me want to throw up all over. And he has such stupid, calculated hair. But anyway, the article made me forget all of that, which is probably about as good as it could have done with me.

nothing new musically there.

Which is odd, because of all the bands, I had pegged Death Cab as the one to start the new musical revolution. :ermm

stupid calculated hair?

i dont pay attention to that. nothing to do with the music or his viewpoints.

I would argue that it might reflect his viewpoints. Not so much the music, but I have seen enough of him that I have trouble not picturing him singing the lesser songs in the Death Cab catalog and wondering just how unauthentic the whole thing is. I have the same problem with Rhett Miller.

after one listen, i say this is a decent album, but nothing special. First 4 tracks are really good, and Long Division is also a great track. You can tell they really tried hard to do some new things (especially on Pity and Fear, with tribal drums and really distorted guitar).

I'm sure my thoughts and opinions will change over the next few days, but my initial reaction is the album starts strong and wanes. Nothing great.

yep, pretty much. (there's been some discussion of it in the Now Playing thread already)

i think those "tribal drums" on Pity & Fear sound awful and completely ruin an otherwise decent song

they have this up for stream on aol spinner.

i have never been interested in them, but i really dig this album cover for whatever reason. i listened through and i like it. there does seem to be a Wilco Yankee/Ghost influence on a few tracks.

i'm going to pick it up this week.

band track by track

http://www.vh1.com/news/editorial/?page=1&...ntentId=1586764

there does seem to be a Wilco Yankee/Ghost influence on a few tracks.

Even though it's not on the level of The Photo Album or Transatlanticism (and that's asking a lot anyway), I really like Narrow Stairs after six or seven listens. It's an easy record to listen to, if that makes sense. "No Sunshine" and "You Can Do Better Than Me" must be from their Summerteeth period.

• 3 weeks later...

i kind of love this album. this is surprising to me because i really wasn't a fan of 'i will..." after hearing it on the radio. but, in the context of the album, i like it a lot more. Bixby Canyon Bridge probably ranks in my top few Death Cab songs. i like when it gets all crunchy but it is pretty and sad sounding too. i've been listening to/following death cab since they first toured down in so cal (i think during the 'we have the facts..' tour in 2000) and i just love them more and more. yay!