Ok, so i go online and see that there is a new tour and get all excited.

http://www.theavettbrothers.com/site.php?content=tour

I go to buy tickets and this is what i see:

Type

2 ADULT

Ticket Price

US $25.00 x 2

Convenience Charge

US $7.45 x 2

Building Facility Charge

US $1.50 x 2

now, mind you, these are will call tickets only, GA, and the convenience (Ha!) charge is ...what? 30% of the ticket price? I know that there is perennial complaining about ticketbastard, but this is just unacceptable. Needless to say, i refuse to buy the tickets. I am sure i'm the only loser in this situation but i just cannot pay a 30% surcharge to ticket master just for the convenience of buying my imaginary ticket through them.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like more than they've ever charged before, but damn they are really good. Dr. Dog are a comparable sized band and their shows are in the $10-$15 range.

I'm not complaining about the ticket price to see the band, i'm complaining about ticketmaster's convenience charge! I am hoping that the venue in VA has its own box office and i can get tickets there without having to go through Ticketbastard. But when you're hitting a service charge of 30-40%, it seems a little like usury. or extortion.

I saw the convenience charge yesterday when getting Gary Louris tickets. It's asinine.... we are just going to get them from the venue box office to avoid some of the charge.

Oh, and the Avett Brothers are phenomenal. I think I'm going to check them out in Madison in May.

Caliber said the venue has a box office, and we can get tix there, but there is still a $3.50 service charge to PICK UP THE TICKETS AT THE VENUE. I still don't get it. Just charge $28.50 and call it even. WTF is up with service charges? What the hell is the ticket price if the "service charge" is something else? I'm all for little surcharges for building restoration and even taxes (this venue is in a town that has a .50 tax on all tickets) but a more than 10% additional charge at the venue's ticket counter for no apparent reason i just do not get. Anyone who works at a venue want to explain this to me?

$7.50 per ticket is insane. I'd love to see the Avett Brothers in Milwaukee in May, but as of right now I have a conflict. If I do get to go, I'll make sure to head to the venue for my tickets.

The Avett Brothers are great live. I'm lucky to live close to their hometown - been watching them gain popularity for several years from in-store performances to the New Year's Eve show at the Blumenthal Theater in Charlotte.

Yes, the convenience charge is unacceptable but try not to pass up any opportunities to see them!

What's this venue like? I"m thinking of seeing Punch Brothers there next month.

It's very upscale - beautiful theater w/box seats, orchestra level, grand tier, mezzaniene, and balcony. All the seats are great but if you can get Row A of the Grand Tier, you'll have the best seats in the house.

If you check out Avett Brothers on MySpace, you'll see pics of the New Year's Eve show - the crowd was in full force. You can get a good feel for the venue.

It's very upscale - beautiful theater w/box seats, orchestra level, grand tier, mezzaniene, and balcony. All the seats are great but if you can get Row A of the Grand Tier, you'll have the best seats in the house.

If you check out Avett Brothers on MySpace, you'll see pics of the New Year's Eve show - the crowd was in full force. You can get a good feel for the venue.

Wow, sounds nice. I'll check the pics out, thanks!

Caliber said the venue has a box office, and we can get tix there, but there is still a $3.50 service charge to PICK UP THE TICKETS AT THE VENUE. I still don't get it. Just charge $28.50 and call it even. WTF is up with service charges? What the hell is the ticket price if the "service charge" is something else? I'm all for little surcharges for building restoration and even taxes (this venue is in a town that has a .50 tax on all tickets) but a more than 10% additional charge at the venue's ticket counter for no apparent reason i just do not get. Anyone who works at a venue want to explain this to me?

where are you guys seeing them? maybe we can meet up again. plus, i haven't seen them this year yet, so i'd be stoked to catch another show.

oh man I hope they come back to Denver. Last time they were here was August last year, but the show conflicted with my parents' 40th anniversary party. Couldn't very well skip out on that.

As to the ridiculous "convenience" charges, I do not ever pay for ticketmaster or ticketweb unless absolutely necessary. Luckily for me most of the bands I love don't sell out in advance. Selfish though it may seem, I hope that the trend continues...

they are playing in Madison on my B-day, hotel is already booked, now just need to wait till may and drive to madison..... can't wait

where are you guys seeing them? maybe we can meet up again. plus, i haven't seen them this year yet, so i'd be stoked to catch another show.

um, some place in alexandria, or arlington...It began with a B i think. It is a theatre, maybe? not a club?

• 4 months later...
Wow.. I didn't realize that this was coming out so soon. If this is on par with Emotionalism, I'll be one pleased guy. :dancing

i've read a few reviews and it sounds awesome. very similar to the first gleam, more stripped down, good front porch swing music. the "murder in the city" mp3 is everywhere and its just an incredible song.