• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate the new song. It seems overpolished and boring and safe. I used to be a huge Avetts fan and would regularly travel to see them, but if this is the direction they're headed in, I'm probably done with them. I passed on the chance to see them next month to go to a jazz show that night instead, and hearing this song made me so glad that I did. I wasn't too crazy about the last album, either (the super deluxe box set I bought will go up on ebay eventually), but there were at least a few songs I liked. 

Part of what I used to love about the band was their earnestness. When the news surfaced a few months ago that Seth was getting divorced because he'd been cheating on his wife with some actress, it put a big dent in his image to me. I don't think they're all like that, but it still bugged me a lot more than most stories like that do.

I really hate the new song. It seems overpolished and boring and safe. I used to be a huge Avetts fan and would regularly travel to see them, but if this is the direction they're headed in, I'm probably done with them. I passed on the chance to see them next month to go to a jazz show that night instead, and hearing this song made me so glad that I did. I wasn't too crazy about the last album, either (the super deluxe box set I bought will go up on ebay eventually), but there were at least a few songs I liked. 

Part of what I used to love about the band was their earnestness. When the news surfaced a few months ago that Seth was getting divorced because he'd been cheating on his wife with some actress, it put a big dent in his image to me. I don't think they're all like that, but it still bugged me a lot more than most stories like that do.

This. I have had the exact same experience with this band. I was a huge fan around Emotionalism and, like you, traveled to see shows (they were a phenomenal live act) and, like you, even sprung for the vinyl Carpenter LP. But I barely gave it more than a few spins. I did not like the slick, pop-y polished product. 

I, too, very much dislike this forgettable new song. And, if it is any indication, I will probably not buy the record or see a show. I was really hoping for a 3rd Gleam EP (stripped down, folky, more banjo/less electric guitar, etc.). 

I posted a similar (condensed) version of my opinion on the Avett subreddit and got a little flamed. I am glad I am not the only who feels the same.

I'm in the same boat about the Avetts: used to love them but now they suck.  My wife is a huge fan and loves her some wussed-out music of the same variety.  When she heard their new song she said "What kind of pussy crap is that?"  

Blegh. 

Saw these guys for the last time in 2011 and will not see them again. Didn't even buy the last record. 

I feel like a lot of the substance in their music left after I & Love & You... not sure if it's because of production or a major label or what, but they're definitely a different entity now then they were back when I first saw them in 07 (skipped a Wilco show that night for the Avett show). 

The news about Scott cheating on his wife was completely unknown to me until now, and that's so sad and frankly pretty sleazy.