• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a pretty good show went up over at DIME today . FYI

New album now pushed to Aug 11 FYI (hoping for june or july/major label crap I'm sure)

My list

Emotionalism

The Gleam I

The Gleam II

Mignonette

Four Thieves

(haven't heard Carolina Jubilee or Country Was)

Just get both gleams, burn them both to a disc and fall in love

although I'm sure the show will be great, I think I'm with you on this. I'd prefer to see them, or any band, in a place where they aren't quite as popular. More intimate environment, less crowd equates to a better time for me.

These guys feed off an audience so I'm sure they will be on top of things for the Charlotte crowd. You'll leave a fan wherever you happen to see them.

Elbow is playing in Atlanta that same night and they will more than likely trump this show for me. I'm sure I'll catch them eventually.

I went to the first night of the Portland shows on Friday. I really had no idea how fucking amazing these guys are, especially live. I have Emotionalism which I really really like, but I was completely floored. It was one of those shows when you suddenly have a warm feeling in your heart, look around the room and notice that everyone is having the best time EVER, and you just soak all the goodness that great music does to your soul. I havent experienced that for a really long time, maybe not since the Wilco shows at Otto's when Jeff just came out of rehab, or maybe the Wilco show at Iriving Plaza around the same time. They are one of the best shows out there right now. I am mildly obsessed at the moment

this= understatement.

if these guys were sharks, and the audience was chum, it equates to a frenzy of sweat, broken strings, and pure energy

so I am assuming that you can sing and dance along without annoying the band and the audience?

I went to the first night of the Portland shows on Friday. I really had no idea how fucking amazing these guys are, especially live. I have Emotionalism which I really really like, but I was completely floored. It was one of those shows when you suddenly have a warm feeling in your heart, look around the room and notice that everyone is having the best time EVER, and you just soak all the goodness that great music does to your soul. I havent experienced that for a really long time, maybe not since the Wilco shows at Otto's when Jeff just came out of rehab, or maybe the Wilco show at Iriving Plaza around the same time. They are one of the best shows out there right now. I am mildly obsessed at the moment

:yes

Glad you had fun!!

so I am assuming that if you don't sing and dance like wild raging hippies, it annoys the fuck out of the band and the audience?

this sounds more right

they are all pretty great. i got hooked on emotionalism, then went backward. can;t forget the Gleam ep's . those are both fantastic

Same here, except I hit Mignonette before the Gleams. Either way, Emotionalism will hook you.

I felt the same way after seeing them live for the first time last summer. They are effing spectacular live! I can't believe that with the ridiculous tour schedule this summer, I won't hit any. They're in the midwest when we're in Canada. I swear to God our trip to Canada is during some of the coolest summer events.

I am already looking at their tour schedule to fit in another show or two this summer.

I want to invite the Avett Brothers to my front porch for a few beers and strawberry pie. They seem like such nice guys!

Tamala, WTF with this Canada trip?!?!?! It better be a good one!

I want to invite the Avett Brothers to my front porch for a few beers and strawberry pie. They seem like such nice guys!

They ARE nice guys, and I'm sure some front-porch sitting and strawberry pie-eating would be right up their alley! Can I come? :)

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Hey Everyone,

We are excited to present to you the official track listing for Live Volume 3, coming your way October 5th!

If you haven't pre-ordered your copy, we have some exclusive offers up for you all on our site. Pre-order Live Volume 3 here.

CD Track Listing:

1. Pretty Girl from Matthews

2. Talk on Indolence

3. Ballad False Start

4. The Ballad of Love and Hate

5. Colorshow

6. I and Love and You

7. Shame

8. When I Drink

9. Murder in the City

10. I Killed Sally’s Lover

11. Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise

12. The Perfect Space

13. Paranoia in B-flat Major

14. Distraction #74

15. Kick Drum Heart

16. Salvation Song

DVD Track Listing:

1. Pretty Girl from Matthews

2. Swept Away

3. Talk on Indolence

4. The Ballad of Love and Hate

5. Colorshow

6. I and Love and You

7. Shame

8. When I Drink

9. Murder in the City

10. I Killed Sally’s Lover

11. Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise

12. The Perfect Space

13. Paranoia in B-flat Major

14. Distraction #74

15. Kick Drum Heart

16. Salvation Song

these guys are spectacular live. spectacular. i have seen them a couple of times here in knoxville, and they really bring it all.

i'd really like to see them at the sold out ryman show on 10/29, so...if anyone knows of any or has any leads, let a bro know...

these guys are spectacular live. spectacular. i have seen them a couple of times here in knoxville, and they really bring it all.

i'd really like to see them at the sold out ryman show on 10/29, so...if anyone knows of any or has any leads, let a bro know...

I saw them last spring in San Diego and they were really great live. I am driving out to see them again in Las Vegas next week. Anyone else going?

I just saw them again this week. Rekindled my obsession with Avetts. They did a surprise benefit concert here in Portland (all proceeds went to a local high school), and just announced the show last week. Only 500 tickets were sold for the Crystal Ballroom (a 1914, refurbished REAL ballroom where the "floating" hardwood floor sits on springs); it's an awesome venue (capacity 1,500) for rock shows because when everybody jumps, the floor literally bounces. And it was bouncing Monday night!!!! A perfect night of sweaty honest to goodness fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been "overexposed" to the song "Live and Die" - it's on every radio station I listen, morning and night, that I'm already tired of it.

Can anybody recommend any really good songs of the Avett Brothers so that I don't lose complete faith in them?

I'm not terribly excited about a new album. I saw the Avett Brothers live for the first time in May. I was expecting to be blown away based on everything I've read about them, but I wasn't feeling it. This was the first time I left a concert early (other than a case where I went to a show to see the opening band).

They're definitely a talented group of guys, and they have a great attitude, but an hour was enough for me. I've been told that I tend toward depressing music. I don't necessarily think that's true, but I do appreciate a balance between light and darkness. These guys are a little too happy go lucky and sappy for me.

On top of that, I was suprised by the contingent of young swooning girls. To be clear, I'm a 29 year old woman who could pass for a teenager, but I don't hold up signs of proposal for the bands I go to see or scream at the top of my lungs. It was highly distracting. Not to mention that I expected the Avett's crowd to skew older and a little more masculine.

Wow, couldn't disagree more about the live experience. Based upon what I'd been told, I was kinda expecting what you describe. I'd missed them at their rawest prime and they were now basically the bluegrass Jonas Bros. I saw them at Des Moines' 80/35 festival and was completely blown away. I'm not sure I'm terribly about the new record, mostly because of the production, not the songs. I&L&Y has some great songs, but Rubin made them a bit too slick for my taste.

• 11 months later...