Ye Ole' Wilco

So I was over on the Son Volt boards earlier this week and was reading some posts about how everyone over there is still glad that Son Volt is a small band, a kind of secret of sorts, and that got me thinking: does anyone miss the days when Wilco was like that? The pre-YHF period? I mean, I am so stoked that the boys are going to be on SNL and that they seem to be hitting their stride here, but there's a part of me that liked when the band was a little more obscure--that when I would tell my firends about them they wouldn't know who they were. Now it seems like everyone and his brother knows/likes Wilco, which is fucking great, but something makes me want the old Wilco back--the band that could play The Vic and it wouldn't be a mad rush for tickets and this kind of jumpy feeling inside when I would read about them on some website or something because it was kind of rare...

Am I alone?

I'm sure you're not alone, but I disagree. I'd like to see these guys just get huge as long as they don't decide to go all America's Top 40 or something like that.

I hope all the years of constant touring/working pays big dividends for them . They've certainly earned it, yes?

I certainly don't see them as huge poster-boy stars. The Replacements played SNL a couple of times and they were never huge. Wilco's had one gold record. I've had fun turning people on to Wilco this year, for this record.

I guess I just wish they could have the best of both worlds: success with still being able to play small venues and without being popualr...

They're in a wierd limbo now where they'll sell out a place like the Tower in Philly in 10 minutes, but the majority of people I talk to still have no clue Wilco exists.

I did a Wilco song for my performance piece last semester, when I announced it, the professor said "Am I supposed to know them?"

I'm always surprised at how many people still have never heard of Wilco.. "C'mon, the band that was nominated for a Grammy this year.. The band from the VW commercials.. The band on Conan, Leno, Letterman".. "Nope, never heard of them".. Maybe SNL will change that some. And I don't think thats a bad thing at all that they are getting bigger. The world needs more bands like Wilco in mainstream music.

I miss the old band but I also miss the days of my youth. I was struck at how much I miss Jays playing on songs like forget the flowers, someday soon and summerteeth after listening to the chicago shows. That is brilliant lead work that nels can't touch but damn if his playing isnt brilliant on impossible germany. I kind of miss that earlier wilco too. Tweedy deserves to be a millionare-do you think he is? (I mean 1 million dollars free and clear in the bank)

i miss the old band and the times of the mid to late 90s wilco era. i dont mind that they are getting popular but i dont think they will ever be super popular. I dont see a fanbase around the country like the one in Chicago. They arent a part of mainstream music. I guess you can argue that SNL is somewhat of a barometer if a band has 'made' it or is mainstream. it took wilco 10+ years to get there and it took Vampire Weekend less than a year. Wilco is not mainstream and i dont think they ever will be so like the Son Volt fans, i like that wilco is still widely unknown.

if wilco was around in the sixties which is a stupid analogy considering their music is influenced by the sixties so what I mean to say is if wilco existed in a time where artist were judged on their artistic success they would be hugely popular considering the artistic success they have obtained(and don

if wilco was around in the sixties which is a stupid analogy considering their music is influenced by the sixties so what I mean to say is if wilco existed in a time where artist were judged on their artistic success they would be hugely popular considering the artistic success they have obtained

Great point. When I see Wilco selling out shows, VW commercials, SNL, Letterman, etc, it makes me think that maybe.. just maybe... that bands are starting to to be commercially accepted based on their artistic abilities, and not how pretty they are, or how Pop they are, or how good they can dance.. A lot like it was in the 60's.