• MMJ Clone
    • Band of Horses Clone
    • Own free standing entity
    • other

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked out Fleet Foxes at the Black Cat, great show! Robin, lead singer guy said his voice was bad from the flu, I sure as hell didn't notice. I was impressed with their ability to recreate and interpret their "baroque harmonic pop jams" last night. Oliver James and English house were highlights. Can't wait to see them again! :music

I heard some and was sure it was Jim James...I went straight over to amg to try and figure out if this was a MMJ side project!

• 2 weeks later...

blatantly copied my reply from SOMB:

just got back from their show here in Minneapolis... WOW :o

a few times i'd close my eyes and could have mistaken their amazing 4 part harmonies for CSN&Y in like 1970...

the man dude, Robin, was really talkative and quite funny tonight too. he even reminded the crowd that "our boys, Tapes n' Tapes, were on Conan tonight", then mused on our 15 miles of "air bridges" as he called them (the Skyways).

people at the Chicago show mentioned he was having some vocal troubles (which weren't evident at all tonight) so i thought i'd request "Oliver James" since I really wanted to hear that one. the rest of the band was bent down tuning up so i figured that was a decent time to request it, and apparently it was next on the setlist anyway laugh.gif. then he politely "scolded" me for requesting something off the album that wasn't even out yet, but then he said something like "nah, we're cool with people downloading it, we're just glad you like it". but yeah, that song was what put me over the edge. Mykonos live was pretty damn killer too.

he said they'd likely be back to town in June after the record comes out. fingers crossed it'll be at the Turf Club.

Hmmm... MMJ is my favorite band, and I really like Band of Horses and The Shins, but I haven't been able to warm up to Grizzly Bear yet. I definitely need to check these guys out when I get home.

Do they ever bring the rawk like MMJ? I'm guessing they are more like the quieter side of MMJ with the additional comparisons to BOH, Shins, Grizzly Bear, CSNY, etc.

Hmmm... MMJ is my favorite band, and I really like Band of Horses and The Shins, but I haven't been able to warm up to Grizzly Bear yet. I definitely need to check these guys out when I get home.

Do they ever bring the rawk like MMJ? I'm guessing they are more like the quieter side of MMJ with the additional comparisons to BOH, Shins, Grizzly Bear, CSNY, etc.

no, definitely more like the quiet side, but they have a nice edge to some of their stuff live too.

no, definitely more like the quiet side, but they have a nice edge to some of their stuff live too.

That's cool, can't wait to check them out. The fact that they are softer is probably for the best. The intense MMJ stuff is not good for driving safety and is definitely not good for not looking like a dumbass. I swear people looking at my face must think I'm trying to take a massive dump when listen to that stuff. :rock

On a side note, I also can't wait to hear the studio version of Touch Me I'm Going to Scream pt 2 on NPR when I get home. :dance

I've given the ep a few listens and i like it espcially songs 3 &4.

I just got my hands on the full album last night first time throughit sounds promising.

I wish the singer did not sound so much like jim james but the music is good.

Ughhhh, Fleet Foxes is brilliant. I saw them at Schubas with Blitzen Trapper last Sunday and was blown away. I talked to Casey Wescott (vocals, piano, mandolin) of Fleet Foxes and he said that the album is actually self-titled, not "Ragged Wood," and it comes out June 3rd.

Anyway, it was a fantastic, fantastic show. I have a video of "Oliver James" and a couple mp3s over at my blog.

http://tangledcord.blogspot.com/2008/04/fl...at-schubas.html

Ughhhh, Fleet Foxes is brilliant. I saw them at Schubas with Blitzen Trapper last Sunday and was blown away. I talked to Casey Wescott (vocals, piano, mandolin) of Fleet Foxes and he said that the album is actually self-titled, not "Ragged Wood," and it comes out June 3rd.

that it is, and the artwork that was online earlier isn't correct either, it's this:

4223.jpg

I shall confirm cover art and title shortly... as they've signed to Bella Union in the UK, got a promo winging it's way to me today :)

Can't wait to catch these guys live - hope I have more luck with them that I have had with MMJ!

Here's another shot at MMJ, hope it works out for you!!

JUNE

25 Wed Sheffield, UK Leadmill

26 Thu Bristol, UK Academy

27 Fri Manchester, UK Academy

29 Sun Glastonbury, UK Glastonbury Festival

JULY

01 Tue Hamburg, Germany Gruenspan

02 Wed Koln, Germany Gebaude

04 Fri Werchter, Belgium Werchter Festival

06 Sun Kent, UK The Hop Farm

08 Tue Amsterdam, The Netherlands Melkweg

09 Wed Paris, France Le Trabendo

11 Fri Nottingham, UK Rescue Rooms

13 Sun Glasgow, Scotland T In The Park Festival

15 Tue London, UK The Forum

19 Sat Benicassim, Spain Benicassim Festival

Cheers - saw those today!! I'm eyeing up the Forum show... but it's the same week as Death Cab in London, not sure I can afford two trips to London in a week!

skip Death Cab... honestly the quality diff of their live shows is pretty wide