• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time it seems actually possible that Jeremiah Wright could torpedo Obama's chances of winning the presidency. I don't even disagree with the guy in general and certainly he has a right to his take on things, but damn...he is doing Barak irreperable harm.

LouieB

I keep telling myself that if this was October, he'd be screwed, but it isn't -- it's April, so there is a lot that will happen between now and November. If this is the worst thing that happens to him, he'll be OK (assuming he gets the nomination).

I keep telling myself that if this was October, he'd be screwed, but it isn't -- it's April, so there is a lot that will happen between now and November. If this is the worst thing that happens to him, he'll be OK (assuming he gets the nomination).

Yeah. A LOT will happen. There's hardly a day goes by anymore when I don't shake my head in disbelief. Let's just hope someone puts a muzzle on Wright - he's a time bomb for Barack.

I know it's a few days old, but here it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080428/pl_politico/9904

This scares me. Seriously. I hope this doesn't sway too many folks.

Obama in reference to Rev. Wright?s recent comments:

"I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday," Obama told reporters about Rev. Jeremiah Wright. "The person that I saw yesterday was not the person that I had come to know over 20 years." While he said he gave Wright "the benefit of the doubt" because "sound bites [of his sermons] created a caricature of him," in Wright's sneering Monday press club performance "he caricatured himself."

"I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia, explaining that he has done enormous good in the church," he said. "But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions as the U.S. government somehow being involved in AIDS; when he suggests that Minister Farrakhan somehow represents one of the greatest voices of the 20th and 21st century; when he equates the U.S. wartime efforts with terrorism -- then there are no excuses. They offend me. They rightly offend all Americans. And they should be denounced, and that's what I'm doing very clearly and unequivocally here today."

"It is antithetical to my campaign. It is antithetical to what I'm about. It is not what I think America stands for," he said. ? from Salon.com

What did Wright say that is any different than what he has said all along?

Wright seems to be the same and Obama is the one who has changed.....(And I'm not saying that's a bad thing)

It's pretty much a matter of Obama saying "Look, I tried to stand up for you, I tried to defend you, but if you insist on continuing to run around looking like a fucking idiot at my expense, then fuck you."

Folks in this thread know that I've been on the HRC bandwagon for awhile. If Obama named Wright as his VP candidate, I'd consider switching sides. That guy is great. I suppose he'd immediately become unelectable, so maybe it's not a great idea...

And I loved Jon Stewart's line about Wright the other night (I'm paraphrasing): If I knew a rabbi with as much game as Rev Wright, I probably wouldn't have been knee deep in a bacon/cheese croissanwich on Passover.

So true.

Oh yeah, the Rev has game alright. But seriously, are the recent remarks any different? Can anyone point to a specific comment? Because 20 years into their relationship seems to be the wrong time to end things. (If that's what he did.....)

Also, did HRCs interview on FOX help or hurt? Did Gore or Kerry go on that network? I have to give it to the lady, she's got balls!

Maybe it's just me, but Barack is looking pretty tired/burned out in the last week. HRC on the other hand seems completely energized. And Bill - you can tell he truly LOVES campaigning. He's eating this stuff up.

Barack really needs to regain his mojo.

Jon Stewart has certainly been talking about it. And he gave Newt Gingrich a hard time about it on Monday (?) night.

Unfortunately, though I am a huge fan, Stewart preaches mainly to the choir.

Maybe it's just me, but Barack is looking pretty tired/burned out in the last week. HRC on the other hand seems completely energized. And Bill - you can tell he truly LOVES campaigning. He's eating this stuff up.

Barack really needs to regain his mojo.

Look at Indiana...it doesn't matter if we win. . . [note - N word bomb]

The above must be from The War Room - funny how it is being put out there now.

Follow-up on the story.

Edited by Analogman
Unfortunately, though I am a huge fan, Stewart preaches mainly to the choir.

To stick with your pun, he was preaching it to Newt Gingrich the other night...

I just wish it was also being preached by the NYT, CNN, The Washington Post and other outlets that do not cater primarily to stoned college students (that last part was a joke

I just wish it was also being preached by the NYT, CNN, The Washington Post and other outlets that do not cater primarily to stoned college students (that last part was a joke

Clinton on the Gas Tax Holiday: "I believe it would be important to get every member of Congress on record," she said, per NBC/NJ's MIke Memoli. "Do they stand with the hard-pressed Americans who are trying to pay their gas bills at the gas station or do they once again stand with the oil companies? That's a vote I'm going to try to get, because I want to know where people stand, and I want them to tell us - are they with us or against us when it comes to taking on the oil companies?"

As I understand it, the holiday would not touch a single cent of the oil companies' profits; it would be all govt (tax) revenue. If anything, it would help the oil companies by encouraging people to consume more gas. Personally I'm ok either way, but to frame this as a little guy vs. the oil companies issue is astounding b.s., even for a Clinton.

Other than truckers, it wouldn't even save money for very many people. On average I bet most people would save like maybe $25 or $30 over the course of the summer.

So it's better that the government takes my money rather than me keeping it because it's such a small figure.

No, it's better that the government find real solutions to problems instead of bandaid solutions that don't really fix anything.

Also, if the gas tax was eliminated, what do you think the chances are that the gas companies will see it as an opportunity to raise the price of gas? I say about 120%.

No, it's better that the government find real solutions to problems instead of bandaid solutions that don't really fix anything.

Also, if the gas tax was eliminated, what do you think the chances are that the gas companies will see it as an opportunity to raise the price of gas? I say about 120%.

You think gas companies are setting the price of gas?

And I agree...we need real solutions to the problem. We need to start drilling in Alaska and off our coasts. We need to lift restrictions on oil companies and refineries to allow them to become more efficient. We need to allow for the construction of nuclear power plants to provide more sources for energy. We need to stop subsidizing corn for ethanol production as some alternative source of fuel, which is absolutely ridiculous.