classic movies thread?

when I think classics, I think "classic cinema" like.....

Harvey

The Bad Seed

Top Hat

All About Eve

Giant

The Women

Bringing Up Baby

Arsenic and Old Lace

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

It Happened One Night

Rebel Without a Cause

Those are my favorites :wub

I saw a "Clockwork" not too long ago though I thought it was not so good. But I do love "One Flew Over..."

On a side note, I just got Netflix in order to watch movies one cannot find at the library or rental store. And I just watched "Bad Timing" (Nic Roeg film), it was pretty good. I heard about it via Jim O'Rourke since he does name three of his albums off of Roeg films. I think the next movie I am going to watch is "After Life."

But anyways, I have totally sidetracked.

1. I have in fact picked my feet in Poughkeepsie, thankyouverymuch.

2. Citizen Kane

The Big Sleep

Double Indemnity

The Story of G.I. Joe

The other Mitchum movie that Vincent Price was in

The Maltese Falcon

Forbidden Planet

I'm not a cinema buff by any means but many of my favorites also happen to have Nicholson in them. Cuckoos Nest, Easy Rider, The Last Detail to name just a few.

The Marx Bros. are big faves here too. Along with most of the seventies Woody Allen stuff.

Bringing Up Baby

One of my all-time favorites :wub

It Happened One Night was great too.

I would add:

The Philadelphia Story

Sunset Boulevard

Witness for the Prosecution

12 Angry Men

Mildred Pierce

...among others :wub

Casablanca

A Streetcar Named Desire

Hud

The Thin Man

The Last Picture Show

Giant

Persona

La strada

Some Like It Hot

To Kill A Mockingbird

Dr Strangelove

Agree with Double Indemnity and Sunset Blvd :worship

I will never forget the first time I saw Casablanca. It was a wintery Sunday afternoon about five years ago. I was floored! That entire film from beginning to end is classic. One scene that always strikes me is when Rick is getting money out of the safe while talking to Capt. Renault and all you see is his shadow on the wall. I have a little tradition now where every year around Christmas time I will have a few glasses of brandy and watch Casablanca.

I also really like Cuckoo's Nest, Maltese Falcon, and Easy Rider. I am sure there are a few that aren't coming to mind right now.

I really want to watch Streetcar and On The Waterfront. I am a little bit ashamed of myself that I haven't seen those two yet. All this jazz I am listening to lately has put me in the mood for some classic film as well. :)

There's no way I could put a list here as most of my favorites are "classics" and most of the classics are my favorites! :lol

But I'll take this moment to ditto Stooka's "Hud" and say that Paul Newman is an absolute golden god and "Cool Hand Luke" is definitely in my top ten (along with Hud, probably). :wub

Where to begin? Pre-1930, I suppose, and I'll keep it short:

Anything by Keaton, Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Eisenstein, Melies, or the Lumiere brothers

Un Chien Andalou

The Passion of Joan of Arc

The Wind

The Man With the Movie Camera

Skyscraper Symphony

Greed

Sunrise

Napolean

Napolean
I was lucky enough to see the reissued/reconstructed version when it came out and played the Chicago Theater. Crazy night....with the three projectors during the final sequence.

LouieB

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of my favorites. It amazes me how different it is from the book; they're both masterpieces, but I have a hard time comparing them.

I love Casablanca, too, but it's hard for me to watch now. It played an important role in my last relationship. While most long-distance boyfriends sent flowers and teddy bears for Valentine's Day, mine sent a DVD of Casablanca--and the DVD player from him arrived the next day. I've been able to go back to most of the music we shared, but the last time I tried to watch this movie, I still couldn't. Maybe it's time I give it another try.

Where to begin? Pre-1930, I suppose, and I'll keep it short:

Anything by Keaton, Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Eisenstein, Melies, or the Lumiere brothers

Un Chien Andalou

The Passion of Joan of Arc

The Wind

The Man With the Movie Camera

Skyscraper Symphony

Greed

Sunrise

Napolean

Ever see that Three Films about Lenin thing? That is awesome. Alexander Nevsky is coming up soon for me.

There's no way I could put a list here as most of my favorites are "classics" and most of the classics are my favorites! :lol

But I'll take this moment to ditto Stooka's "Hud" and say that Paul Newman is an absolute golden god and "Cool Hand Luke" is definitely in my top ten (along with Hud, probably). :wub

I especially enjoy the car wash scene from Cool Hand Luke. :blink

Hud was filmed not far from where I live and is an honest depiction of small town Texas folk.

Ever see that Three Films about Lenin thing? That is awesome.

Three Songs of Lenin, by Vertov? No, I haven't seen that one yet...

Speaking of Eisenstein's Nevsky, have you seen his Ivan the Terrible, Part One? That's probably my favorite Eisenstein. It chronicles Ivan's plan to shrink the power of landholding nobles and unify Russia under the powerful rule of a single Tsar. Unification always comes at a great price, and often requires an imposed will, which raises doubts about its desirability; Eisenstein focuses on those national stresses while simultaneously sympathizing with Ivan's personal stresses. It's a complex melodrama, juggling various plot strands with surprising clarity. Best of all, each image feels like the composition of a master painter--vibrant iconography, grotesque faces, and labyrinthine settings that turn the characters into mole rats.

when I think classics, I think "classic cinema" like.....

Harvey

The Bad Seed

Top Hat

All About Eve

Giant

The Women

Bringing Up Baby

Arsenic and Old Lace

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

It Happened One Night

Rebel Without a Cause

Those are my favorites :wub

Hey - I can't belive how many of your favorites are on my list too- Bringing up Baby is hilarious - also I love the older version of The Philapdelphia Story.

I love watching the old movies with my daughter now - I enjoy them as if they were new again watching her enjoy them.

My daughter is 3, and just discovering the joys of The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music. Plus, when they are so young there are no prejudices to overcome... when I showed her Harold Lloyd's Safety Last!, there was no griping about the B&W, the archaic style, or the fact that it's silent. When it was over, she simply said, "Can we watch that again? Right now?"

My daughter is 3, and just discovering the joys of The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music. Plus, when they are so young there are no prejudices to overcome... when I showed her Harold Lloyd's Safety Last!, there was no griping about the B&W, the archaic style, or the fact that it's silent. When it was over, she simply said, "Can we watch that again? Right now?"

That's so cool - gotta love it. My daughter is 19 - watching an old movie together has become out holidays thing we do.