Who's been interviewed for the Wilco documentary?

In case you didn't hear, there is a film crew (led by Brandon Canty -- Fugazi, Burn to Shine, Sunken treasure, etc.) that is following the band around to several (5 maybe) shows this month. If they are able to capture a fraction of the live energy of the Cain's Ballroom Saturday night, it will be incredible!

I was one of a number of Wilco fans interviewed in line before the show in Tulsa. Just wondering who else has been interviewed and where, and what you might have said on camera. I'm guessing they've probably talked to 100 fans or more for this. After the show, they also filmed a fan doing a head-first slide into a pile of empty beer cans on the Cain's dance floor.

:beer

I'm not counting my chickens as far as having my comments make the final cut, but it would be pretty cool -- as long as I don't sound like the backstage "Summer TEETH" guy in IATTBYH ... :stunned

Also, did anyone hear when this DVD might be released?

In case you didn't hear, there is a film crew (led by Brandon Canty -- Fugazi, Burn to Shine, Sunken treasure, etc.) that is following the band around to several (5 maybe) shows this month. If they are able to capture a fraction of the live energy of the Cain's Ballroom Saturday night, it will be incredible!

I was one of a number of Wilco fans interviewed in line before the show in Tulsa. Just wondering who else has been interviewed and where, and what you might have said on camera. I'm guessing they've probably talked to 100 fans or more for this. After the show, they also filmed a fan doing a head-first slide into a pile of empty beer cans on the Cain's dance floor.

:beer

I'm not counting my chickens as far as having my comments make the final cut, but it would be pretty cool -- as long as I don't sound like the backstage "Summer TEETH" guy in IATTBYH ... :stunned

Also, did anyone hear when this DVD might be released?

I got interviewed as well in tulsa. Was pretty cool because it seemed like most people didnt want to be interviewed for one reason or another..."If i got interviewed then people would know i like wilco and i like bands that nobody knows about...." But anyways it was pretty cool. I thought they asked questions that jeff would laugh at. Like what does wilco mean to you? They are not my savior or my meaning of life they are just a cool band that i associate well with the sound and lyrics, dont make shit to complex

So thats my rant. The dvd should be cool though.

i didn't get interviewed, but was filmed while i was waiting outside the 9:30 club. my friend was very very late causing me to not get a good spot down front. while i was waiting for her to show up, i called a friend that was supposed to go to the wed night show with me. he bailed on me and decided he was too tired to go see wilco. i started bitching him out. and the camera crew took notice. i then called my boyfriend to vent about how ridiculous my friends were for 1) being so late to a wilco show and 2) deciding not to go to a wilco concert that was extremely difficult to get tickets for and at such short notice. i was not happy and right at the end of my rant realized it was being filmed. i thought it was kinda funny afterwards, neurotic wilco fan bitching about friends that just don't get it.

I remember getting filmed in 2005 outside of the Vic Theatre for the DVD. My group and I took notice of the camera crew, so we started to look in the distance, as if we were profoundly thinking about something (you know, the way all Wilco fans look...). After that one of the crew members came up to us, and asked us to sign releases (we had to be 18, but I was the only one that was at the time). Then we got paid $1 for our services.

Too bad THAT footage never came out.

i didn't get interviewed, but was filmed while i was waiting outside the 9:30 club. my friend was very very late causing me to not get a good spot down front. while i was waiting for her to show up, i called a friend that was supposed to go to the wed night show with me. he bailed on me and decided he was too tired to go see wilco. i started bitching him out. and the camera crew took notice. i then called my boyfriend to vent about how ridiculous my friends were for 1) being so late to a wilco show and 2) deciding not to go to a wilco concert that was extremely difficult to get tickets for and at such short notice. i was not happy and right at the end of my rant realized it was being filmed. i thought it was kinda funny afterwards, neurotic wilco fan bitching about friends that just don't get it.

that sounds funny. and very painful.

I had the same kind of experience as you at the Town Hall show in 2001. right afer 9/11 and nobody was going out. I bought six tickets... thinking I'd share the love with my friends, none of who had yet seen the band. the day before, people started bailing on me and even at the last minute like you. so in addition to my own 9/11 sadness, was so pissed... I just ate the tickets and stood in the middle of my six seats for the whole show.

that sounds funny. and very painful.

I had the same kind of experience as you at the Town Hall show in 2001. right afer 9/11 and nobody was going out. I bought six tickets... thinking I'd share the love with my friends, none of who had yet seen the band. the day before, people started bailing on me and even at the last minute like you. so in addition to my own 9/11 sadness, was so pissed... I just ate the tickets and stood in the middle of my six seats for the whole show.

wow, that's even more painful.

both of those friends are now cut-off from attending any and all concerts with me. they crossed the line with the wilco shows. and once you cross the line with the sacred wilco shows there's no coming back into the circle. both want my extra radiohead ticket...hee heee that's not gonna happen. oooh wait, it would actually be really hilarious if my bit shows up in the DVD and they see it...

luckily there were plenty of folks trying to get into the show that i was able to sell the extra ticket. and make a true wilco fan a happy wilco fan. :)

After the show, they also filmed a fan doing a head-first slide into a pile of empty beer cans on the Cain's dance floor.

From what I've seen of concert video/rockumentaries, fan interviews are usually dropped in as comic relief, and the people come off as either stupid or a-holes or drunks or borderline stalkers. You might sound like Churchill for 5 minutes, but they'll just use the 5 seconds that make you appear to be brain damaged.

I thought the fans in Heavy Metal Parking Lot came off real well in the final edit.

I remember getting filmed in 2005 outside of the Vic Theatre for the DVD. My group and I took notice of the camera crew, so we started to look in the distance, as if we were profoundly thinking about something (you know, the way all Wilco fans look...). After that one of the crew members came up to us, and asked us to sign releases (we had to be 18, but I was the only one that was at the time). Then we got paid $1 for our services.

Too bad THAT footage never came out.

That happened to me, too. I still have the dollar bill somewhere.

why a documentary? just release a concert DVD. we already have one great wilco documentary, and nothing is going to top the story that was told in IATTBYH.

That one was all scripted, right down to Jeff's fake puke in case you haven't heard.

why a documentary? just release a concert DVD. we already have one great wilco documentary, and nothing is going to top the story that was told in IATTBYH.

"Documentary" was the term the film crew used ... I'm assuming they are not going to do a documentary that tells the story of how the band came to be or how a particular record was made or life in the loft, but rather to "document" what it's like to see the band live on the road. Instead of "fly on the wall" camera crews like IATTBYH, we've got HD video cameras in the pit, on stage, in your face and right in the middle of the action to show the energy and feeling of Wilco's live show. The audience interviews I'd guess would be transitional pieces that are used as the band travels from town to town, venue to venue. That's my impression anyway.

From what I've seen of concert video/rockumentaries, fan interviews are usually dropped in as comic relief, and the people come off as either stupid or a-holes or drunks or borderline stalkers. You might sound like Churchill for 5 minutes, but they'll just use the 5 seconds that make you appear to be brain damaged.

Exactly. Case in point - Bittersweet Motel or The GD Movie (I know, that's shooting fish in a barrel :stunned ).