First National Band

Uncut have been doing a monthly feature on the 'Pioneers of Country-Rock'. Its been pretty good so far with articles on the Burritos, The Byrds, Dylan circa John Wesley Harding..

This month was all about Michael Nesmith of the Monkees and his First National Band. The piece was really really interesting, if I find it online, ill post it..

Anyway - I really want to check these guys out, but after searching amazon, they only have one boxset type thing which is around

you're looking in the wrong place. they're on amazon. get this: magnetic south / loose salute (it's a double, and great) certainly two of the best country rock albums i own.

i had a feeling you'd be into them :)

thanks man

You cannot lose with the first 3 albums released by Nesmith and First National. I'm glad they're getting a little notice. People tend to write off the Monkees but if you take all his stuff from the Monkees records and put it on a disc or two it may blow your mind.

You cannot lose with the first 3 albums released by Nesmith and First National. I'm glad they're getting a little notice. People tend to write off the Monkees but if you take all his stuff from the Monkees records and put it on a disc or two it may blow your mind.

There are some songs of his spread out among those Missig Link cds that are also worth having.

you might want to remove that (see the sticky at the top of the forum.)

none of the links work anyway :)

Uncut have been doing a monthly feature on the 'Pioneers of Country-Rock'. Its been pretty good so far with articles on the Burritos, The Byrds, Dylan circa John Wesley Harding..

This month was all about Michael Nesmith of the Monkees and his First National Band. The piece was really really interesting, if I find it online, ill post it..

Anyway - I really want to check these guys out, but after searching amazon, they only have one boxset type thing which is around

^ cheers louie. spunky backpack posted a link to a muuuch cheaper disc that im gonna buy. suprisingly, i couldnt find too much on these guys on the internet - no audio samples or anything... or maybe im just crap with google.

^ cheers louie. spunky backpack posted a link to a muuuch cheaper disc that im gonna buy. suprisingly, i couldnt find too much on these guys on the internet - no audio samples or anything... or maybe im just crap with google.

Well it is really old stuff and not very much in demand. I would say that Nesmith wrote about half a dozen classic songs (not all of which are on the First National Band albums) and the rest is sort of fair to middlin stuff, interesting, but not earth shaking. Don't let me disuade you though, since I kind of like them, but others did country rock better.

LouieB

Good stuff! I have owned the LP Magnetic South since I was just a kid when it came out. I still enjoy

it.

Lets not forget his early MTV smash - Lucy and Ramona and Sunset Sam.

• 4 years later...

It should be interesting.

Yea, no real idea what to expect, but as long as he plays his handful of greatest hits (non- Monkees) I will be happy.  They sold a limited numberof meet and greet tix for $50 per.  I know he is a celeb and all, but really??

LouieB

I have a feeling he won't be playing Monkee songs. I think the reviews I read of his shows a few months ago indicated he was playing songs from his solo albums, and doing a lot of talking in between songs.

That is my assumption and certainly what I hope.  Considering he just toured with the Monkees (a day late and a Davy short) I would guess that's exactly what is going to happen.  The guy isn't that young anymore so I am also sure that he will do a bunch of talking.  That's okay. 

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

This is what he is playing:

101 [0:56] announcer intro, applause and opening thanks
102 [2:59] Papa Gene's Blues
103 [2:35] band intros and talk
104 [4:23] Propinquity (I've Just Begun to Care)
105 [1:22] talk
106 [5:19] Tomorrow & Me
107 [1:15] talk
108 [4:31] Different Drum
109 [1:41] talk
110 [3:26] Joanne >
111 [5:20] Silver Moon
112 [2:05] talk
113 [3:43] Some of Shelly's Blues
114 [1:00] talk
115 [5:15] Rio >
116 [4:01] Casablanca Moonlight

CD2 - 45:43
201 [0:53] talk
202 [4:35] Grand Ennui
203 [1:26] talk
204 [4:24] Cruisin' (Lucy and Ramona and Sunset Sam)
205 [1:11] talk
206 [3:57] Rays
207 [1:21] talk
208 [4:05] The Prison Opening Theme (Life, the Unsuspecting Captive) >
209 [5:44] Marie's Theme >
210 [5:22] The Prison Closing Theme (Lampost)
211 [0:34] talk
212 [5:31] Laugh Kills Lonesome > encore break
213 [2:14] talk
214 [3:20] Thanx for the Ride
215 [1:06] final thanks, band intros and applause