Levy's also makes some neat floral-y ones.

Levy's Guitar Straps

But if you're looking for the real deal, and you're willing to pay for it, go to ebay and search for an Ace guitar strap. You might be able to snag a cheap one.

Ace Guitar Straps on eBay

The prices for these are going up as people realize how cool they are. The good thing is that as prices go up, imitators will start to flourish; so if you're not into paying $70 for a strap, there'll be a cheap knock-off soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Levy's a lot. I have one of the pattern ones which has been on my main guitar (LP or tele) until I got my gretsch (doesn't have strap locks on it yet). I also have a heavy duty leather one that is in a box somewhere.

I'll have to check out some of the ones that are mentioned on this thread.

I like Levy's a lot. I have one of the pattern ones which has been on my main guitar (LP or tele) until I got my gretsch (doesn't have strap locks on it yet). I also have a heavy duty leather one that is in a box somewhere.

Levy's are good straps. I have one, and it's quality. Mine's just a plain cloth strap in an army green-ish color. Do they make straps with vintage patterns?

As for stap locks...check out this tip (I can vouch that this works like a dream...sorry, I know this is not really on topic):

http://www.adamlevy.com/lessons/index.htm

Lesson #5. Keep your guitar strap from falling off. Sure, you can buy hardware specifically designed to keep your strap locked on, but some such products can be a drag because you have to modify your guitar to install them. Thanks to guitar-tech extraordinaire Kelly Macaulay for suggesting a cheap, easy-to-use alternative that requires no alterations to your instrument: neoprene rubber faucet washers, available at any ol' hardware store for about 69 cents. The ones I use are made by the Danco Company of Concordville, Pennsylvania. The Danco stock number is 61805B - these are 1-1/4" in diameter, 1/6" thick, and have a 1/4" hole in the center. To get the washer over your strap button, use the first finger and thumb of each hand to grip it at the 9 o'clock position and 3 o'clock position, then pull in opposite directions. That'll open the hole just enough to get it onto your strap button. (Your strap should already be on the guitar first. The washers go over your strap ends.) Removal is even easier - grab the edge of the washer and pull it over the button and toward the opposite side, as if turning the page of a book.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I just ran into Pat Sansone of Wilco at the Do-Division street festival. He had one of those souldier belts from Souldier . We got onto the topic of guitar straps...apparently Pat turned Jeff onto them. Although, Jeff is mainly shown in pics with the blue owl on his SG, I guess he has all of the owl color patterns. I have noticed some owl display stuff at past concerts, he must love owls. Pat also told me that Souldier straps are all custom handmade with vintage fabrics from the sixties on recycled seatbelt and nice thick ends. I jsut went and got a guitar strap from Avenue N Guitars and it is way better than any Levy or planet waves cheap mass produced thing. So if you read this Pat, nice to meet you and thanks for the recommendation :worship

The Blue Owl straps that Tweedy had on his SG are available from this company:

http://souldier.us/ (Thanks, Maggie!)

They are sold out of the exact Owl Strap that Jeff uses. However, they've got some pretty sweet ones. Look under "Vintage Straps" to find the Owl Series.

Kevin

• 2 months later...

Incidentally, I ordered two straps from Souldier recently and couldn't be happier with them.

Their straps utilize recycled or NOS seat belt material; ( the light brown looks like it may have been used on an old Plymouth).I was a little wary initially since it's a tightly woven nylon material and I was concerned that it would allow the instrument to slide excessively across my shoulder.

Know what: It does, and it's a great thing.

I never noticed how my old leather straps were actually rather binding and I had to kinda adjust as I played. With these the guitar falls more or less perpendicularly to my body making for a more comfortable playing position.

They are well stitched together and they look terrific. Should last forever.

Save your pennies. It's worth the dough, seriously.

I've never been a huge fan of leather straps...never long enough so my guitars generally hit at about my stomach area. I'm not even that big of a guy 6'-ish and about 220-230 lbs. I know what you mean about how nylon slides around. It definitely does...but not in a bad way.

I think all of my guitars should have these straps...they aren't that bad of a price considering what vintage ace straps are going for these days!